As much as I love open back headphones such as the Grados, I was wondering what some good closed back headphones are. The more I look, the more it seems as though most headphones are open. I am looking for some good sounding closed back headphones that would be suitable for any types of music seeing as I listen to every type. My price range is about $100-150.
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700 Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohmstagged by System, 5/18/11
- productEquation RP-21 Stereo Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 5/16/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/16/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 5/18/11
- productSennheiser HD448 Around the Ear Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11More
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 5/18/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 5/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Advice on headphones Last post on 2/28/11 at 3:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- closed circumaural headphones better than sennheiser hd280's for between $100-$200? Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good closed headphones Last post on 12/4/10 at 5:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for closed Headphones in The Netherlands - Budget is anywhere from 80-200 Euro's Last post on 10/6/11 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/21/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The urbanite xl wireless is seemingly targeting the younger audience with its stylish looks,bluetooth connectivity and a bass emphasis.But does this deliver like it is intended to?Let's run through...
I was looking for a solution to simultaneously listen and charge an iPhone7, since Apple decided to ditch the 3.5 mm jack output. This one, which I got on Aliexpress, does the job. Soundwise, it...
Final F7200 Earphone review I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered...
MBC/ PINOYMAN's review: The TFZ series 1 Iem. Id like to thank Christopher Gatchalian for lending me his pair unit for the purpose of this review. Shell: clear in smoke black. Cable: quality is...
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
Good closed back headphonespost #1 of 85/15/11 at 5:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 85/16/11 at 9:25pmUp until a couple of weeks ago, I was in the same circumstance as you, wanting closed back headphones-same price range, about $100 to $150. I am a first time hp owner (literally no experience with cans) and really have/had no way/place to audition any. So, I did a lot of reading and finally decided on a list of 10 or so cans. Some of the ones I looked at were the Shure 440/840, Sennheiser hd448/HD 25-1II, Audio Technica ATH A700/m50, the Equation Audio RP-21, Ultrasone HFI 580/700, Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro and the AKG K271MKII.
I never had a chance to audition any of these. The only hp I did listen to for a couple of hours was my sons Sony (a noise cancelling can that he uses for gaming), I think all of the ones I listed are closed and most of them, except maybe a couple of them can be found for your price range.
I chose, sight/sound unseen/unheard the Shure 840's. Couldn't be happier. Listening to them (Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" cd on laptop) as I type. As you can see, I researched a lot of different manufacturers and settled on the sound signature I was looking for (from all my reading).
Hoping that the list I posted will help you narrow down your search somewhat, although, there are more out there that I did not really look into (Denon D1001s being one).
Frankpost #3 of 85/16/11 at 11:22pmpost #4 of 85/17/11 at 4:13ampost #5 of 85/18/11 at 4:05pmpost #6 of 85/18/11 at 5:28pm
I've got a pair of the HD 428's right now, and if the 448's are anything similar, which from what I've heard they are, they're a great pair of headphones, although they're neutral, so don't expect a lot of bass. The Shure 440's are very good as well, but I've heard that the highs can be a little sharp sometimes.post #7 of 85/18/11 at 5:40pmpost #8 of 85/18/11 at 6:32pm
If you don't mind me asking, why are you specifically looking for closed headphones? The reason I ask is that it may be important to include certain qualities of the headphones, such as how well they isolate background noise or how much sound might bleed into your surroundings. Is comfort an issue? What environments will you be listening to these headphones in? Also, what do you like about your Grados, as certain characteristics that you enjoy about them might not translate well on some closed-back cans?
- Good closed back headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing) 21 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 23 seconds ago
- › Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9! 29 seconds ago
- › Any headfi-ers in Connecticut? 58 seconds ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 1 minute ago
- › New iRiver AK70 1 minute ago
- › Tennmak 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...