As much as I love open back headphones such as the Grados, I was wondering what some good closed back headphones are. The more I look, the more it seems as though most headphones are open. I am looking for some good sounding closed back headphones that would be suitable for any types of music seeing as I listen to every type. My price range is about $100-150.
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700 Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohmstagged by System, 5/18/11
- productEquation RP-21 Stereo Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 5/16/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/16/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 5/18/11
- productSennheiser HD448 Around the Ear Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11More
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 5/18/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 5/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Advice on headphones Last post on 2/28/11 at 3:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- closed circumaural headphones better than sennheiser hd280's for between $100-$200? Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good closed headphones Last post on 12/4/10 at 5:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for closed Headphones in The Netherlands - Budget is anywhere from 80-200 Euro's Last post on 10/6/11 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
For larger (1200 x 800) images, click any pictureINTRODUCTION A lot of you will see the style and information with this review as being pretty similar to the one I did on the AM2. And the reality...
Brainwavz IntroABOUT USBrainwavz provides high-end earphones specifically designed for high-quality sound and tailor-made to provide the user with a solution that can be used across a wide range of...
Sound Blaster X G5 The Gaming device with everything* we asked for A Little Context The G5 is part of Creative's "Blaster X" gamer focused line, cued after the name of the X7. I loved the...
Intro TL;DR: The Brainwavz XF200 is, in and of itself, an excellent sports IEM that will go the extra mile with you and then some. Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora...
I must first and foremost give a large and heartfelt thank you to secondipity for reaching out to me and asking if I would be interested in reviewing some products offered by them. This is...
Good closed back headphonespost #1 of 85/15/11 at 5:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 85/16/11 at 9:25pmUp until a couple of weeks ago, I was in the same circumstance as you, wanting closed back headphones-same price range, about $100 to $150. I am a first time hp owner (literally no experience with cans) and really have/had no way/place to audition any. So, I did a lot of reading and finally decided on a list of 10 or so cans. Some of the ones I looked at were the Shure 440/840, Sennheiser hd448/HD 25-1II, Audio Technica ATH A700/m50, the Equation Audio RP-21, Ultrasone HFI 580/700, Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro and the AKG K271MKII.
I never had a chance to audition any of these. The only hp I did listen to for a couple of hours was my sons Sony (a noise cancelling can that he uses for gaming), I think all of the ones I listed are closed and most of them, except maybe a couple of them can be found for your price range.
I chose, sight/sound unseen/unheard the Shure 840's. Couldn't be happier. Listening to them (Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" cd on laptop) as I type. As you can see, I researched a lot of different manufacturers and settled on the sound signature I was looking for (from all my reading).
Hoping that the list I posted will help you narrow down your search somewhat, although, there are more out there that I did not really look into (Denon D1001s being one).
Frankpost #3 of 85/16/11 at 11:22pmpost #4 of 85/17/11 at 4:13ampost #5 of 85/18/11 at 4:05pmpost #6 of 85/18/11 at 5:28pm
I've got a pair of the HD 428's right now, and if the 448's are anything similar, which from what I've heard they are, they're a great pair of headphones, although they're neutral, so don't expect a lot of bass. The Shure 440's are very good as well, but I've heard that the highs can be a little sharp sometimes.post #7 of 85/18/11 at 5:40pmpost #8 of 85/18/11 at 6:32pm
If you don't mind me asking, why are you specifically looking for closed headphones? The reason I ask is that it may be important to include certain qualities of the headphones, such as how well they isolate background noise or how much sound might bleed into your surroundings. Is comfort an issue? What environments will you be listening to these headphones in? Also, what do you like about your Grados, as certain characteristics that you enjoy about them might not translate well on some closed-back cans?
- Good closed back headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 57 seconds ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 1 minute ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Recommendation for a wireless/bluetooth headphone for $50-$70 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 5 minutes ago
- › CanJam London 2016 (August 13-14, 2016) 5 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD... 5 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO AM5 - High Power Amplifier Module for X7 by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Truss - The All Metal Under Desk Dual Headphone Hanger... by Wokei
- › Creative Labs Sound BlasterX G5 by Evshrug
- › Brainwavz XFIT XF-200 In-Ear Sport Earbuds Noise Isolating... by thatBeatsguy
- › SONY MDRZX330BT/B Sony MDR ZX330BT - Headset - on-ear - wireless -... by Army-Firedawg
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by grizzlybeast
- › Schiit Gungnir by Aornic
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by meringo
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Aerosphere
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by FortisFlyer75
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse