As much as I love open back headphones such as the Grados, I was wondering what some good closed back headphones are. The more I look, the more it seems as though most headphones are open. I am looking for some good sounding closed back headphones that would be suitable for any types of music seeing as I listen to every type. My price range is about $100-150.
- productAudio Technica ATH-A700 Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohmstagged by System, 5/18/11
- productEquation RP-21 Stereo Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 5/16/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/16/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphonetagged by System, 5/18/11
- productSennheiser HD448 Around the Ear Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productShure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11More
- productShure SRH840tagged by System, 5/18/11
- productUltrasone HFI-580tagged by System, 5/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Advice on headphones Last post on 2/28/11 at 3:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- closed circumaural headphones better than sennheiser hd280's for between $100-$200? Last post on 8/30/11 at 7:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for good closed headphones Last post on 12/4/10 at 5:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for closed Headphones in The Netherlands - Budget is anywhere from 80-200 Euro's Last post on 10/6/11 at 9:16am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Today
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
i am giving this review after a month use, 30+ hours burning its still improving. at the first use found these a crap they were sounding low on my phone they are not that impact that i was looking...
For the prize, these sound amazing! I was extremly happy about my purchase until the headband broke. I only used them normally, with no extreme stretching at all. It is made of fragile plastic....
If you want to read me ramble on more about haptics and finish quality, head to Ω image's review. I know it is a year on and this earphone is no longer en vogue. However, I reviewed it. Take...
Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my...
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
Good closed back headphonespost #1 of 85/15/11 at 5:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 85/16/11 at 9:25pmUp until a couple of weeks ago, I was in the same circumstance as you, wanting closed back headphones-same price range, about $100 to $150. I am a first time hp owner (literally no experience with cans) and really have/had no way/place to audition any. So, I did a lot of reading and finally decided on a list of 10 or so cans. Some of the ones I looked at were the Shure 440/840, Sennheiser hd448/HD 25-1II, Audio Technica ATH A700/m50, the Equation Audio RP-21, Ultrasone HFI 580/700, Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro and the AKG K271MKII.
I never had a chance to audition any of these. The only hp I did listen to for a couple of hours was my sons Sony (a noise cancelling can that he uses for gaming), I think all of the ones I listed are closed and most of them, except maybe a couple of them can be found for your price range.
I chose, sight/sound unseen/unheard the Shure 840's. Couldn't be happier. Listening to them (Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" cd on laptop) as I type. As you can see, I researched a lot of different manufacturers and settled on the sound signature I was looking for (from all my reading).
Hoping that the list I posted will help you narrow down your search somewhat, although, there are more out there that I did not really look into (Denon D1001s being one).
Frankpost #3 of 85/16/11 at 11:22pmpost #4 of 85/17/11 at 4:13ampost #5 of 85/18/11 at 4:05pmpost #6 of 85/18/11 at 5:28pm
I've got a pair of the HD 428's right now, and if the 448's are anything similar, which from what I've heard they are, they're a great pair of headphones, although they're neutral, so don't expect a lot of bass. The Shure 440's are very good as well, but I've heard that the highs can be a little sharp sometimes.post #7 of 85/18/11 at 5:40pmpost #8 of 85/18/11 at 6:32pm
If you don't mind me asking, why are you specifically looking for closed headphones? The reason I ask is that it may be important to include certain qualities of the headphones, such as how well they isolate background noise or how much sound might bleed into your surroundings. Is comfort an issue? What environments will you be listening to these headphones in? Also, what do you like about your Grados, as certain characteristics that you enjoy about them might not translate well on some closed-back cans?
- Good closed back headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 seconds ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 12 seconds ago
- › Numbers,.... Male vs Female HeadFiers? 16 seconds ago
- › Double Helix Cables Appreciation Thread 17 seconds ago
- › December 2013 - Mook Headphone Festival Singapore 36 seconds ago
- › Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone? 1 minute ago
- › The JVC HA-S680 - S400's and S500's big brother is here! 1 minute ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 3 minutes ago
- › Electrodynamic and electrostatic headphones now obsolete ? 3 minutes ago
- › Upgrade from Sony MDX-EX500, for more detail. Possibly Sony XBA2? 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black by sagar khichi
- › AKG K520 by Veggietech
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe