Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Received a pair of Apple In Ear Headphones for birthday - improve with comply tips? Thoughts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Received a pair of Apple In Ear Headphones for birthday - improve with comply tips? Thoughts?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hi, 

 

 I am new to head-fi.org, so apologies if this question has been asked before or is inappropriate.

 

I received a pair of Apple In Ear Monitors for my birthday, and for the price they are not bad frankly, although can't compare to some higher end models. The standard silicone tips come in 3 sizes, but none really create a particularly good seal. I am wondering if these comply foam tips could possibly allow the headphones to shine to their best? :

 

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/Whoomp!™-Foam-Tips.html?brand=Apple&model=In-Ear%20Headphones

 

Has anyone tried these tips with the Apple IEMs, and what do people think of the headphones generally?

 

Currently I am trying them out listening to Tangerine Dreams' Rubycon.

 

(P.S. Looking around head-fi.org, I can see that discovering this site is going to be painful for my wallet and wife!)

post #2 of 15

I think you should just get a set of white sony hybrids.  I hear they're quite good for the ADDIEMs and not very expensive.  Buy those, then leave here and run as far as you can.  Before we need to apologize for your wallet. :P

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

I think you should just get a set of white sony hybrids.  I hear they're quite good for the ADDIEMs and not very expensive.  Buy those, then leave here and run as far as you can.  Before we need to apologize for your wallet. :P



Hi DaBomb, thanks for your reply. The White Sony Hybrids? Are they tips that are compatible with the Apples?

 

Edit: Don't worry I ran a search. Seems they should be compatible. The Sonys are still silicone though. Any reason to think they would be a better fit than the original tips that came with the Apples?


Edited by ElectricJourney - 5/15/11 at 2:50am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricJourney View Post


 



Hi DaBomb, thanks for your reply. The White Sony Hybrids? Are they tips that are compatible with the Apples?

 

Edit: Don't worry I ran a search. Seems they should be compatible. The Sonys are still silicone though. Any reason to think they would be a better fit than the original tips that came with the Apples?



Yeah, people have complained about the stiffness of the stock Apple ones.  The Hybrids apparently help with the seal and keeping them in your ear.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post





Yeah, people have complained about the stiffness of the stock Apple ones.  The Hybrids apparently help with the seal and keeping them in your ear.



OK Thanks, I will give them a look. Any reason you recommended them over Comply's foam tips?

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricJourney View Post





OK Thanks, I will give them a look. Any reason you recommended them over Comply's foam tips?



Well, Complys are expensive.  They only last a few weeks, or a few months if you're really careful.  They also tend to degrade the sound quality just a bit, or more specifically cut down on the treble.  Sometimes they work well, sometimes they don't...not sure how they mesh with the ADDIEMs.  But generally people use the T series, I've never heard of anyone around here using the Whoomp! series.

post #7 of 15

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-WHI-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24V4/ref=pd_sim_e_6

 

These tips will improve your seal (and sound) greatly.

post #8 of 15

I get the best seal with the medium Apple ones for some reason (tried the small and medium, large won't fit into my small ear).  However, I can normally always get a good seal with the hybrids on any pair of headphones.  They are my go to tips for the best seal.

 

By the way, the white hybrids look sick on the ADDIEMs.


Edited by tinyman392 - 5/15/11 at 8:00am
post #9 of 15

Another vote for the Sony Hybrids here. I use the extra small ones on my Apple IEMs and I love the fit I get with them. Much better than the stock silicone tips in my experience.

post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 


Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

Well, Complys are expensive.  They only last a few weeks, or a few months if you're really careful.  They also tend to degrade the sound quality just a bit, or more specifically cut down on the treble.  Sometimes they work well, sometimes they don't...not sure how they mesh with the ADDIEMs.  But generally people use the T series, I've never heard of anyone around here using the Whoomp! series.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffroyroycole View Post

For Comply tips that work really well with the ADDIEMs, try the ones sold by Phonak for the PFE112, which Phonak sells on its website. They have the perfect sound tube size for the PFEs. When I owned ADDIEMs, that's what I used. But stay away from Whoomps, they are more gimmick than anything else in my view. But Sony hybrids are good too, but they can come off in your ears sometimes with the ADDIEMs.

 

Here is where to find the Complys for ADDIEMs re Phonak/Audeo. http://na.audeoworld.com/products/accessories/



Why would people not recommend the Whoomp! series if one does choose the Comply tips? It seems that they were designed specifically for the ADDIEMS no?

 

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/Whoomp!™-Foam-Tips.html?brand=Apple&model=In-Ear%20Headphones



Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsdaddy View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-WHI-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24V4/ref=pd_sim_e_6

 

These tips will improve your seal (and sound) greatly.



Thanks, for that price hard to go wrong. Still I am curious to try out these Comply foam tips to see what they are like. Has anyone ever tried the Shure olives with the ADDIEMs? They might last longer than Comply's tips.

post #11 of 15

The reason why those Whoomp ones won't work very well is because they're not really designed for audiophile use.  They'll probably degrade the sound more.  The only benefit you'd get from them is comfort and possibly a better fit.  If you wanted Complys you should definitely go for something in the T series.

 

Still, I'd recommend trying out the Hybrids first and see how you like them.  If you feel the need to go for something else, then try out the Complys by all means.  If you really want to, you could also try out the Whoomp ones, but I'm doubtful they'd be as good as the T series.  Of course, I can't be 100% sure about that, so it couldn't hurt to try if you can spare the money.

post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffroyroycole View Post

I have to correct myself. I was talking about the ones for the iBuds, which I tried and definitely sucked. Can't speak for the regular Whoomp tips for the ADDIEM. Might be worth a try, but I know the T1XX from Phonak work, because I have them on the ADDIEMs I own and they sound great.
 



 

 

By T1XX you mean the TX-100 series? http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page2/comply-txcompatibility.pdf

 

 

It says that ADDIEMs aren't compatible but if you have tried them already then I will go with what you say!

 


 

 

post #13 of 15

 

Shop http://complyfoam.com and use coupon code T9RRU06D7B1 for 20% off! (May 15-31, 2011).

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklietsch View Post

 

 

Shop http://complyfoam.com and use coupon code T9RRU06D7B1 for 20% off! (May 15-31, 2011).



Thanks!

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricJourney View Post

Shop http://complyfoam.com and use coupon code T9RRU06D7B1 for 20% off! (May 15-31, 2011).



Thanks!

this is an old thread, but i figured id give my input, as i have tried the comply with the waxguard, shure olive, and sony hybrid

 

overall

sony>shure> comply

 

why?

the sonys are cheaper for one and they last the longest out of the three

the sonys warms the sound up a bit, i'm guessing this is due to the stiff inner silcon layer, the mid bass bumps up a bit, the treble loses just a shade of sparkle ( not a dealbreaker for me, keeps the treble smooth and peaky on my klipsch s4)--> they are not compatible originally but they fit and the seal well, and they don't stay lodged in my ear soo ehh

 

the shures bump up the bass more than the klipsch, theres a small bleed into the mid range, the treble i recall stays relatively the same. They are also cheaper and they sell em in sets of 5.  they isolate the best out of all three, they are more durable than the complys but not like silicon obviously. Also because of the stiffer foam they get a bit uncomfortable for me after my commute--> about 1.5 hour, by then my ears need a break

 

the comply by far is the most comfortable to me, with the sonys second and shures last, but as stated above they degrade the treble quite substantially (still good for my really harsh, klipsch s4is) but if you have something like the shure 215 with a quicker treble roll off i wouldn't recommend it. the bass is bumped more than the sonys but less than the shures. The mids actually imo become pretty smooth, but i think the bass still overshadows it

 

in conclusion


comfort

comply>sony> shure---> comply by far ( it feels like it just disappears, there is no ear fatigue afterwards at all for a few of my 3-4 hour sessions

 

isolation

shure> comply > sony---> only because the complys almost guaranteeds a perfect seal, perfect if your inbetween sizes. where as the sonys your either a xs, s, m, or l

 

sound quality ( very subjective but i figured id put my input anyway)

sony>shure> comply

 

Durability

sony>shure> comply ---> sony wins by far, they can last a lifetime( okay maybe not) if you don't lose em. and they retain their seal after many many uses unlike they other two ( foam loses its "compressiblity" and become more rigid after a while 

 

price

sony> shure> comply---> not contest again. 1-2 sets of sony can last you basically forever. one pack of shures ( 5 pairs) lasted me 2 years (swap one pair every 3 months, i listen everyday to and from school, so at least two times compressing) 1 pack of comply (3 pairs) 4 months about 1 month each, oddly one lasted longer but they tear and they lose their seal after a while

 

overall

sony> shure >comply

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Received a pair of Apple In Ear Headphones for birthday - improve with comply tips? Thoughts?