Looks VERY nice, I wonder if the headband is metal.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AKG or Bose? Last post on 2/10/14 at 3:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- headphone upgrade help! Last post on 8/24/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone hating Last post on 9/30/11 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- The beautiful AKG. No review just *** lots of pictures *** Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Ety's ruined my AD700s :O Last post on 5/7/11 at 11:06am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
Thanks to slwiser, Spidermeng and Woody469 for some of the pictures used in this video.
This is the first item that dragged me into the world of audiophile, having started as noob with this great cans I must say that Shure SE215 Special Edition is cans for everybody, all things...
below is a review of of the v-moda xs! check out my channel(like and subscribe) recently uploaded a review and comparison with the v-moda m100s
AKG K550 - NEW!! - Page 3post #31 of 14935/16/11 at 3:36am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 14935/16/11 at 3:41ampost #33 of 14935/16/11 at 3:49am
Just had a thought.
Closed phones are a pretty contained acoustic space and a very tough one to work with. Is it possible that the low bass (which we cannot hear after all) was causing vibration in the shell which was detrimental to the sound we can hear?
Just an idea I’m throwing out there. Could they have deliberately limited the ultra low frequencies to reduce unwanted resonance?post #34 of 14935/16/11 at 3:50am
Looks like an alternative to the k271. Or a successor. Quite a bit heavier in weight, which isn't good news.
My gut feeling is that it's the k271 sound signature in a more easy on the eye build, WITH MORE OF A BASS PRESENCE.
Just hope they stick to their release date, whenever they release one.post #35 of 14935/16/11 at 4:17am
The K272HD is the successor to the K271. That is their mid-price band closed phone and this looks more likely a closed addition to their higher-price band, something AKG have actually never had before but there is clearly a market for it now.
Both beyer and Ultrasone have been after for a while and I think its a matter of time before Sennheiser comes out with a "high end" phone that can be driven from an ipod. The "ipod generation" have shown they are willing to spend a lot of circumaural bose/beats type phones so it makes sense for the serious manufacturers to go after it too.post #36 of 14935/16/11 at 4:31am
The k272 is exactly the same as the k271, bar some cosmetic differences. Widely known. Probably as the k271 is marketed towards studio professionals, and the k272 to audiophiles, or the ipod crowdpost #37 of 14935/16/11 at 4:36am
Yeah OK I see your point, and you're right regarding the labelling. But what I am getting at is that they have continued to release new versions of that price-band range phone and there are recent versions of it. It's their mid-priced closed phone, and they don't actually have a closed phone they've sold as top-of-the-line - making this a whole new animal.post #38 of 14935/16/11 at 5:01ampost #39 of 14935/16/11 at 5:07amQuote:
I don't know about that, a lot is speculation right now, but AKG have used the term "reference class" for that top line for a while now - and its been applied to these.
It may be a flagship only as far as their closed phones go but not compared to the whole line (like the DT770 to the DT880), or it could be the new best of the best. It's all guess work at this point.
Given the length of time since their last new headphone, I would hope it is better than the K701 personally...
post #40 of 14935/16/11 at 10:29ampost #41 of 14935/17/11 at 1:38ampost #42 of 14935/20/11 at 6:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Kernmac
Based on the claimed frequency response published, I doubt that AKG are pitching this as a flagship model. 1 + 1 doesn't equal= 6 Just because you might want a new flagship doesn't mean it is one. And just because they list it above the K701 doesn't mean that it is meant to be more accurate etc. It is simply a new closed model, no flagship claim beyond that.
Agree! they looks more like a vixen Dj hps (2D-Axis2)...and I do love the pads and the headband. The most important, I hope AKG made a new drivers /for this model (I'm waiting to looooong),
BTW, they are the most heaviest in the AKG current line,305g. Looks they can go portable as well @32ohm.
Edited by Acix - 5/20/11 at 6:50ampost #43 of 14935/20/11 at 6:48ampost #44 of 14935/20/11 at 7:35ampost #45 of 14935/20/11 at 9:20am114db/32 ohm... Yikes, more sensitive than any EARPhones that I've ever owned.
Rotatable cups ('2d' lol ? ), non-suspension headband... AKG is being odd... (I guess at least people won't have to tape a piece of pleather over the headband (k702), OR will they ?)
Their response to beyer's T70p and the like?
This thread is locked
- AKG K550 - NEW!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions and Appreciation Thread 38 seconds ago
- › Looking for new Over-ear Headphones 41 seconds ago
- › Ortofon e-Q8 Impressions Thread (new 2014 successor of the e-Q7 /... 1 minute ago
- › Driver cups (resonance) 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint 5 minutes ago
- › QLS QA360: Another DSD-capable DAP 6 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears V6 6 minutes ago
- › Misleading recommendations on HE-400? 6 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob