Looks VERY nice, I wonder if the headband is metal.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- AKG or Bose? Last post on 2/10/14 at 3:08am in Headphones (full-size)
- headphone upgrade help! Last post on 8/24/11 at 10:25am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone hating Last post on 9/30/11 at 11:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- The beautiful AKG. No review just *** lots of pictures *** Last post on 4/5/13 at 5:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Ety's ruined my AD700s :O Last post on 5/7/11 at 11:06am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
AKG K550 - NEW!! - Page 3post #31 of 14935/16/11 at 3:36am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 14935/16/11 at 3:41ampost #33 of 14935/16/11 at 3:49am
Just had a thought.
Closed phones are a pretty contained acoustic space and a very tough one to work with. Is it possible that the low bass (which we cannot hear after all) was causing vibration in the shell which was detrimental to the sound we can hear?
Just an idea I’m throwing out there. Could they have deliberately limited the ultra low frequencies to reduce unwanted resonance?post #34 of 14935/16/11 at 3:50am
Looks like an alternative to the k271. Or a successor. Quite a bit heavier in weight, which isn't good news.
My gut feeling is that it's the k271 sound signature in a more easy on the eye build, WITH MORE OF A BASS PRESENCE.
Just hope they stick to their release date, whenever they release one.post #35 of 14935/16/11 at 4:17am
The K272HD is the successor to the K271. That is their mid-price band closed phone and this looks more likely a closed addition to their higher-price band, something AKG have actually never had before but there is clearly a market for it now.
Both beyer and Ultrasone have been after for a while and I think its a matter of time before Sennheiser comes out with a "high end" phone that can be driven from an ipod. The "ipod generation" have shown they are willing to spend a lot of circumaural bose/beats type phones so it makes sense for the serious manufacturers to go after it too.post #36 of 14935/16/11 at 4:31am
The k272 is exactly the same as the k271, bar some cosmetic differences. Widely known. Probably as the k271 is marketed towards studio professionals, and the k272 to audiophiles, or the ipod crowdpost #37 of 14935/16/11 at 4:36am
Yeah OK I see your point, and you're right regarding the labelling. But what I am getting at is that they have continued to release new versions of that price-band range phone and there are recent versions of it. It's their mid-priced closed phone, and they don't actually have a closed phone they've sold as top-of-the-line - making this a whole new animal.post #38 of 14935/16/11 at 5:01ampost #39 of 14935/16/11 at 5:07amQuote:
I don't know about that, a lot is speculation right now, but AKG have used the term "reference class" for that top line for a while now - and its been applied to these.
It may be a flagship only as far as their closed phones go but not compared to the whole line (like the DT770 to the DT880), or it could be the new best of the best. It's all guess work at this point.
Given the length of time since their last new headphone, I would hope it is better than the K701 personally...
post #40 of 14935/16/11 at 10:29ampost #41 of 14935/17/11 at 1:38ampost #42 of 14935/20/11 at 6:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Kernmac
Based on the claimed frequency response published, I doubt that AKG are pitching this as a flagship model. 1 + 1 doesn't equal= 6 Just because you might want a new flagship doesn't mean it is one. And just because they list it above the K701 doesn't mean that it is meant to be more accurate etc. It is simply a new closed model, no flagship claim beyond that.
Agree! they looks more like a vixen Dj hps (2D-Axis2)...and I do love the pads and the headband. The most important, I hope AKG made a new drivers /for this model (I'm waiting to looooong),
BTW, they are the most heaviest in the AKG current line,305g. Looks they can go portable as well @32ohm.
Edited by Acix - 5/20/11 at 6:50ampost #43 of 14935/20/11 at 6:48ampost #44 of 14935/20/11 at 7:35ampost #45 of 14935/20/11 at 9:20am114db/32 ohm... Yikes, more sensitive than any EARPhones that I've ever owned.
Rotatable cups ('2d' lol ? ), non-suspension headband... AKG is being odd... (I guess at least people won't have to tape a piece of pleather over the headband (k702), OR will they ?)
Their response to beyer's T70p and the like?
This thread is locked
- AKG K550 - NEW!!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Sennheiser HD 201 voice cracks at moderate volume while listening... 11 seconds ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 16 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › Comparisons: 13 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 1 minute ago
- › Sansa Clip+ or the Sansa Clip Zip? 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The "IEMs That Significantly Perform BELOW Their Price Point" Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 4 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude