I would suggest a total bithead or a fiio e7 for cheap amplifiers. I used a total bithead with my HF5's which are pretty similar to the ER4's and they increased the soundstage quite a bit and also enhanced the bass slightly. It also made the music a tiny bit heavier and less airy. I imagine the e7 with the bass enhance would synergize nicely with the ER4's as well. The built in DAC is very handy to have around as well, if you ever want to listen to nice music out of a laptop or a computer with a not so great sound card.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 5/13/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 5/13/11
- productSennheiser CX300-S Earbuds (Silver)tagged by System, 5/13/11
- productShure SE535-CL Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with Detachable Cable (Clear)tagged by System, 5/13/11
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 5/13/11
Related Forum Threads
- Can't decide on my first actual Hi-end IEMs - help needed Last post on 9/18/12 at 8:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which IEM to Buy?????? - Help! HA-FX700, SM3, UM3x, RE0, ER-4p, CK10, DBA-02 Last post on 8/26/11 at 4:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Have your High End IEMs failed...or is just me? Last post on 5/24/11 at 5:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- On the prowl again for IEM. Need input. Last post on 3/28/11 at 8:55am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I feel obligated to share out-of-the-gate that I am no CIEM expert! As a matter of fact, I don't even particularly enjoy IEMs - I love over-ear or on-ear headphones. That said: Experiencing JH...
Like many others on this site, these phones are my stepping stone into the realm of "hi-fi"-headphones. These are indeed a good pair of phones for beginners and old-timers alike, because of their...
Audiofly has made the most comfortable IEMs that I've placed in my ears. They are probably the easiest to insert as well. I was ready to plunk down the cash and go the custom route, but these have...
* Obligatory warning that I am not a professional and am not the best at describing sound qualities of headphones. I don't like to use words like liquid or chocolate because descriptions like those...
Brainwavz have been around since 2008 and have been working on providing improved and more original products as time has gone on. If you are familiar with the last round of Brainwavz offerings it...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Long time ER-4P user wanting advice on new in-ear monitors - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Wow, thank you for that :)
I'm still thinking amp and wire however, even with the added arse of lugging it around with me, simply because I think that the problems I'm concerned about will be resolved with this set-up. It's not an easy choice though because I would love a new set of monitors just for something new! I have to keep telling myself that I'm a bum :)
The ER4P doesn't need an amp. Amping wouldn't provide much other than an option to color the sound signature a little depending on what product you get. On the cheaper end, you may even worsen the sound a little if the product introduces an audible level of noise.
Plain and simple a different IEM will offer a vastly larger difference than an amp. An amp is useful when the power is needed. When it is not, the amp isn't doing anything for you. An amp makes sense o the ER4S but not the ER4P. You can get the adapter to do the P to S conversion but all you're doing is buying a cable and then also buying an amp, two things you get the pleasure to spend money on just to use the same headphone and have a slightly different sound.
I would certainly lean you to trying out other products. The ER4 is a great foray into high end audio, but it is more a stepping stone than an end point. It is a very good implementation of a single BA driver which has allowed it to last for so long and remains a highly regarded product. However, there's a lot of new stuff out there, a lot of very good new stuff. If you seek a different sound, why not do that?
ER4P is a bit rolled-off on the top end, which bothers me a lot. So I bought some Earsonic SM3 (v1), much fuller sound, shimmering highs and powerful bass. But the SM3 v1 is not comfy for me (somehow the ER4P's tri-flange doesn't bother me a bit). And there is detectable housing resonance from the SM3 v1's, when playing certain kind of percussion tracks.
The ER4P does benefit from a good amp, though.
I think as it stands with money, an amp with a converter cable would be the best option right now. Perhaps if I were to buy new monitors at some point then a trade of all those parts could go some way towards a trade of some new IEMs? I also really think I need to hear the ER-4S sound signature before I veto them completely :)
Try it, but with your stated object for this upgrade I see no reason why this should make you any happier.
What was it exactly you wanted to illustrate?
Edited by limpidglitch - 5/14/11 at 5:25am
At the moment, I feel the monitors are 'pushed' with their sound when I play through an mp3 player. When I play them through a PC the sound seems more pronounced, although I hope that with ER-4S running through an amplifier, the sound will be clearer and more pronounced. That's the hope anyway! If not, I have a set of gubbins that might get me a trade for some different IEMs!
a Beta-22 driving 108dB/mW sensitivity IEM's?
However I have never even heard of a B22 built with all premium parts. You will at least need all blackGates for power supply, no?
The SEX amp in your sig seems to be a good fit for the ER4's.
i do not have any experience with the er4p/s but i have and love my er6is. had them for a while, tried the eq thing. these do not like to get pushed on the low end (using 5th gen ipod video/rockboxed) without an equal or greater precut. i was also playing with the advanced eq which worked better than the standard graphic eq, but i just got a cmoyBB and i'm very pleased with it. now all eqs are off and i just use the bass boost on the amp. much better. now i know there is no reason for using an amp with my puny 16ohm er6i's but now i can use the line out of the ipod and better bottom end than rockbox eq + headphone jack. i previously had an fiio e5. if you are looking to the fiio line for a big boost in the bottom end i'm afraid you might be disappointed. if i remember... i think it's only like 3db boost (correct me if i'm wrong.) even on the e7 the setting are like 1.5. 3, 4.5db boost (again, please correct me if i'm wrong, been a while since i read the review that stated the boost levels). the cmoyBB is 9db and if you're a little handy you can replace the switch with a pot and dial it in to anything from 0 - 9db.
i believe you can send your set back to ety & they can switch the cables for you (the resistors are in the barrel looking thing on the cable). if you send them in they also usually do a check on the iem as well. or just pick up the adapter.
anyway, best of luck in whatever you decide to do, and above all... enjoy the music.
Well thank you again to all of you for the information. I will at least try the ER-4P>S converter with an amp running through the L5 cable. Ah that reminds me! Do any of you have a good method for cutting down on the microphonics of those things! I use the clip supplied. Sorry for the tangent- just thought it was worth asking. Are ER-4s amongst the worst or what?
- Long time ER-4P user wanting advice on new in-ear monitors
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › audio-technica ATH-A2000X 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › whats so good about beats headphones? 5 minutes ago
- › Jerry Harvey Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Custom IEM by mikemercer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones by Im2spec1al
- › AudioFly AF180 In-Ear Monitors by hardbop
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › AKG X323XS by dweaver
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)