or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head. - Page 57

post #841 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 

 

Since you called the Portapro "super bassy" than that means you're not a basshead. No basshead would call the portapro bass heavy, only non-basshead call the portapro bass heavy. 

My guess is the signature is too dark for you, maybe something like the HD25-1 II is closer to your preference.

 

I've been telling everyone who was interested in buying this headphone, you need to amp it and boost the bass to get that big bass talked about in this thread.

 

Well I think I will be returning them.

I like the sound of the Porta Pro's, I would just like some headphones with a little more/better bass (that doesn't need an amplifier).

I've looked at the ones you suggested but they are a bit over my budget, can you recommend anything else for a budget of maxium $250 ? (If a bit more makes a huge difference I could go a bit higher)

 

I've been looking at these 4 now:
Beyerdynamic DT 770 (with these would I need an amp too ?)

Ultrasone HFI 580 (from what I can find these will sound fine with out an amp)

Shure SRH750DJ

Pioneer HDJ-1500

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

 

I think something is wrong with one of the headphones. Porta Pro's should not have more bass sthan the Pro700.

That or maybe I would an amp like RoMee said, not sure if I should order the same ones again or get something different.


Edited by ForceArcher - 9/26/13 at 1:37pm
post #842 of 906
Pro700mk2 are some of the best bass canons I've used. Many say it isn't the best quality, and I somewhat agree...but also have to say that the quality isn't the worst. Quantity wise, these babies can shake your head with a lot of bass. What type of music do you like? And what type of bass do you like? Mid? Sub? Are other frequencies important to you?
post #843 of 906

I listen to all kind of genres except Jazz, Blues and everything with "core" in it.

As for the kind of bass I like, in the song Lying from you from Linkin Park throughout the song there is this kind bass I can feel with my Porta Pro's, however with my PRO700's it's very quiet.

I really don't think I'm experiencing the bass like everyone else here.

post #844 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceArcher View Post

Well I think I will be returning them.
I like the sound of the Porta Pro's, I would just like some headphones with a little more/better bass (that doesn't need an amplifier).
I've looked at the ones you suggested but they are a bit over my budget, can you recommend anything else for a budget of maxium $250 ? (If a bit more makes a huge difference I could go a bit higher)

I've been looking at these 4 now:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 (with these would I need an amp too ?)
Ultrasone HFI 580 (from what I can find these will sound fine with out an amp)
Shure SRH750DJ
Pioneer HDJ-1500

 



That or maybe I would an amp like RoMee said, not sure if I should order the same ones again or get something different.

The Ultrasone Pro900 is the strongest bass headphone I have and can be found at times for $250ish.
post #845 of 906

I've just noticed that if I lower the input volume to my receiver and increase the volume on my receiver there's a lot less distortion (still not better than my Portapro's but a lot better than before), do you think an additional amp will make a noticeable difference. If so could you recommend me a cheap one ? Doesn't need to be a portable if that's cheaper.

 

Thanks,


Edited by ForceArcher - 9/27/13 at 8:47am
post #846 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceArcher View Post
 

I've just noticed that if I lower the input volume to my receiver and increase the volume on my receiver there's a lot less distortion (still not better than my Portapro's but a lot better than before), do you think an additional amp will make a noticeable difference. If so could you recommend me a cheap one ? Doesn't need to be a portable if that's cheaper.

 

Thanks,

 

I don't recommend double-amping. What is your source?

post #847 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceArcher View Post
 

I've just noticed that if I lower the input volume to my receiver and increase the volume on my receiver there's a lot less distortion (still not better than my Portapro's but a lot better than before), do you think an additional amp will make a noticeable difference. If so could you recommend me a cheap one ? Doesn't need to be a portable if that's cheaper.

 

Thanks,

 

You may need better earpads. The pro's earpads are known to be picky depending on what size ears you have. When I first got the pros, I was really unimpressed with the bass performance, like you. When I swapped the earpads out with the DT250 pads, it really made a difference. I could only get the bass out of the stock pads when I smashed them against my ears. Some people recommend the M50s pads, but the DT250 pads seal better, are more comfortable, and bring out a bit more bass. 

post #848 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

 

I don't recommend double-amping. What is your source?

What do u mean by double-amping ? I use my pc to play the music files FLAC or mp3 mostly, my pc is connected to my receiver trough hdmi.

Ofcourse if I would buy an headphone amp it would be connected to my pc and not my receiver. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
 

 

You may need better earpads. The pro's earpads are known to be picky depending on what size ears you have. When I first got the pros, I was really unimpressed with the bass performance, like you. When I swapped the earpads out with the DT250 pads, it really made a difference. I could only get the bass out of the stock pads when I smashed them against my ears. Some people recommend the M50s pads, but the DT250 pads seal better, are more comfortable, and bring out a bit more bass. 

I tried pressing my headphones together, no real difference there.

post #849 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceArcher View Post
 

What do u mean by double-amping ? I use my pc to play the music files FLAC or mp3 mostly, my pc is connected to my receiver trough hdmi.

Ofcourse if I would buy an headphone amp it would be connected to my pc and not my receiver. 

If you're connected through HDMI then it should be a digital audio stream and having your system volume at max shouldn't cause distortion. In fact, it should sound best at 100% volume.

 

If you want to use a headphone amp with your computer you will need a USB DAC as well. If I'm understanding your current setup correctly, your receiver is acting as both the DAC and amp.

post #850 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

If you're connected through HDMI then it should be a digital audio stream and having your system volume at max shouldn't cause distortion. In fact, it should sound best at 100% volume.

 

If you want to use a headphone amp with your computer you will need a USB DAC as well. If I'm understanding your current setup correctly, your receiver is acting as both the DAC and amp.

 

Hmm your'e right seems like the distortion problem was in AIMP3 I just tried with Foobar and and everything is fine there.

I've been looking at headphone amp and DAC's and looks that there some amp's with a built in DAC ? Do you think having an amp like the FiiO E7 or FiiO E10 would be a big improvement ?

post #851 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceArcher View Post
 

Hmm your'e right seems like the distortion problem was in AIMP3 I just tried with Foobar and and everything is fine there.

I've been looking at headphone amp and DAC's and looks that there some amp's with a built in DAC ? Do you think having an amp like the FiiO E7 or FiiO E10 would be a big improvement ?

Yes there are many DAC+amp all in one units. Some are mainly a DAC with an amp section, some are mainly amps with a DAC section. I don't know how good your receiver is but I'd say a Fiio probably wouldn't be a huge upgrade from most decent receivers, if at all. You would probably need to spend at least $200 on your DAC+amp combined for a real upgrade.

post #852 of 906

What receiver do you have?

post #853 of 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post
 

Yes there are many DAC+amp all in one units. Some are mainly a DAC with an amp section, some are mainly amps with a DAC section. I don't know how good your receiver is but I'd say a Fiio probably wouldn't be a huge upgrade from most decent receivers, if at all. You would probably need to spend at least $200 on your DAC+amp combined for a real upgrade.

 

$200 is a lot more then I had hoped it would be, I guess that I will still be returning them then :(

Thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
 

What receiver do you have?

 

Yamaha RX-V473 or HTR4065 both are the same model, recently bought it together with an xtz w12.16 subwoofer hoping I could get some nice bass with movies etc, seems my room is really bad for having a deep bass. That's why I am now looking for some headphones.

post #854 of 906

Well, your receiver comes with a 24/192 Burr Brown DAC, so you're good in that area. As far as an amp, most receiver headphone amps are pretty powerful. For instance, my old Onkyo receiver is able to deliver more power than a Schiit Magni.

 

Your receiver should have some eq settings, like changing the bass level or gain. It may help if you use an equalizer on your computer to get the bass out. 

 

Now, if you want more power, you could always modify your speaker L/R channels to female rca, and then plug in a y-cable. That's the way I have it set up on my receiver, and it offers more power than any headphone amp out there without distorting. Much more. That power will undoubtedly bring out more bass on the pros. 

 

Back to the headphones, the Pros are bass lean out of the box. They're popular because they are able to take a lot of power and equalizing without having any mechanical distortions (well, less than other headphones). You need a good amp/dac, which you have, a good seal, which you may have, and you need to equalize them in order to get the bass out. If you do have a bass setting on your receiver, try maxing it out. If you're running foobar, download the graphic equalizer component, install it, and eq up the low frequencies. Play with the volume control on your receiver and foobar (or your music player), and find the sweet spot. The higher the volume is on your receiver, the bigger the signal can be sent through it from your computer, which means less distortion. 

 

You can also take a look at my old pro700mk2 bass mod in my signature. It's old, and some of the stuff in there is off, but it's a good reference. It may help you. 

post #855 of 906

Agreed - the Pro700's respond very well to EQ, not just in the bass but the entire sound spectrum. They are quite dark without EQ but you can get some very good clarity and treble extension out of them with EQ. That is, assuming that your pair are not defective.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.