Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head. - Page 45

post #661 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

Does the headphones become a lot brighter with those pads as there's no foam covering the driver housing? The reason I haven't concidered picking them up is due to recessed highs as I get the best result if no EQ is needed and sounds balanced the way I want it out of box like the Q40 due to using my custom foobar2000 dolby headphone config it sounds best when used with WASAPI and WASAPI = no EQing possible on the soundcard. Perhaps it would be best to pick up an analog 31-band hardware EQ so the choice of headphones will be much easier as the balance wouldn't have to be perfect out of box! tongue_smile.gif


Takes off foam, listens, puts pack on, listens, determines there's no noticeable difference, and is happy that the foam pads make the headphones even more comfortable. Keep in mind that I'm using the foam material that came with the DT250 pads. I don't have the foam that came with the gel earpads.

 

You should be able to use the eq in foobar and the eq on your sound card. Just select the sound card as the output device, and it should work. WASAPI just mutes everything else that isn't being used, and some that are in use. For instance, when I'm listening to my music and I want to watch a youtube vid, I have to exit foobar in order to get the sound because foobar currently had priority over everything else, and it muted the youtube vid. There is also a 31band eq for foobar. Just look at my settings below for the link.

 

I decided to upload my new sound settings for anybody that has my headphones and a good amp. Just click the spoiler. I'll go ahead and put this in my sig too.

 

My audio settings (Click to show)

Components

WASAPI

Graphic Equalizer

Noise Sharpening

Channel Mixer

George Yohng's VST Wrapper

  M-ST vst effect

Resampler (SoX)

 

Pics of my settings

Pics (Click to show)

700

Stereo enhancer

 

700

 

All of the activated DSPs

 

700

 

Graphic Equalizer settings

 

700

Stereo enhancer

 

700

Treble enhancer

 

700

The DAC in my receiver is 24/192

700

I changed my device name to Onkyo. I'm running a toslink cable out of my computer to the digital in the receiver.

700

Volume settings. Top is seek, bottom is volume. I made it that way so I can adjust the volume more accurately (smaller dB intervals when the bar is longer), but I usually keep it at that spot.

 

I have my receiver's bass setting on +10

 

I would make an attachment with my eq settings in it, but I can't make attachments for some reason. Just copy them visually. It's a slightly edited version of a previous poster's electri-q settings. I just gave it more bass.

 

To get the vst to work, you have to install the wrapper, download the effect, navigate towards the effect wherever you put it using the VST Setup in the taskbar, enable it, and tweak it. You may be wondering why I have two stereo settings, and the reason is that both of them use different algorithms and whatnot to achieve a wider stereo, and they sound great when combined.

 

 

Prakhar: Sorry tongue.gif The headphones now sound better than the hello kitty version. Maybe when I consider playing around with them again (I'm thinking about removing the white paper stuff behind the driver. Some XB500/700 owners did that and noticed more bass) I'll put the tape back on, but I like the way they look right now.


Edited by Trae - 8/13/12 at 12:44pm
post #662 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3SQ View Post

I don't see any tape holding those gel pads in place, did you glue them or do they just fit right?

no tape at all, they fit although loosely, but they wont come off and fall on their own, they'll spin in place easily tho as they rest on the cup but not while they're on your head, you can dangle them, shake them and they wont come off, but if you swat at the edges of the pads they'll come off, the fit is good enough for listening tho, i've found no need for tape or velcro or anything

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post

I guess I'll take some more pics of my baby tongue.gif

The pics are 5-6MB each, Justin Case someone has slow interwebz.

700

700

700

700

Dutchie MerenGue: Mine are looser than yours, if you know what I mean wink_face.gif

How do those swans sound? I was researching some 2.1 systems and reviewers said those are great little speakers.

 

lol are you calling one of our pads a whore??? lol na and the swans sound great, they're not bass heavy tho, the subs pump out more mids than anything thats why they can rest on your desk, crystal clear sound and pick up alot of detail, i'd recommend them if you were looking for something with that kind of sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

Does the headphones become a lot brighter with those pads as there's no foam covering the driver housing? The reason I haven't concidered picking them up is due to recessed highs as I get the best result if no EQ is needed and sounds balanced the way I want it out of box like the Q40 due to using my custom foobar2000 dolby headphone config it sounds best when used with WASAPI and WASAPI = no EQing possible on the soundcard. Perhaps it would be best to pick up an analog 31-band hardware EQ so the choice of headphones will be much easier as the balance wouldn't have to be perfect out of box! tongue_smile.gif

 

the pads come with foam discs you can put in the center but with them on the gelpads wont stay on cuz they're pretty thick, you'd have to glue or tape the pads on or cut the foam discs to fit the middle perfectly so i elected to go without them, bright is not the word i'd use to characterize the sound out of them now since they're still dark phones and removing the foam isn't going to magically turn them into grados now lol you get more detail now not a whole lot but a noticeable amount, since your ears now rest further away from the center i think the distance helps in ensuring it doesnt become sibilant

 

i cant say how it will affect your dolby settings (even tho i have dloaded it and tried them out before, very nice!) but keep in mind that the foam is there if you want it, but if you use it, you'd most likely have to cut the foam down smaller or use double sided tape on the pads to keep them in place

post #663 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchi MerenGue 
no tape at all, they fit although loosely, but they wont come off and fall on their own, they'll spin in place easily tho as they rest on the cup but not while they're on your head, you can dangle them, shake them and they wont come off, but if you swat at the edges of the pads they'll come off, the fit is good enough for listening tho, i've found no need for tape or velcro or anything
That's what I was hoping to hear! I also couldn't tell if you added any cotton under the pads...just wondering if that would help the output at all and help the pad stay in place a little better by the addition of some force/friction to it. I ordered a pair of refurbs from BuyDig.com yesterday, should be here by Thursday. Was kinda hoping the David Clark ear gel cushions would fit since they're the same shape as the M50's but I doubt a noob like myself would be the first to figure that out....very tempting though since they're half the price of the Beyerdynamics gels and certainly durable/comfy since they're designed for pilot headgear. Ya know, I think I will try them first, unless someone chimes in and knows firsthand they wont work. Gonna enjoy them stock for a week, then with my M50 pads for a week, then I'll give the DC's a shot but will have the Beyerdynamic gels on order just in case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
post #664 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3SQ View Post

That's what I was hoping to hear! I also couldn't tell if you added any cotton under the pads...just wondering if that would help the output at all and help the pad stay in place a little better by the addition of some force/friction to it. I ordered a pair of refurbs from BuyDig.com yesterday, should be here by Thursday. Was kinda hoping the David Clark ear gel cushions would fit since they're the same shape as the M50's but I doubt a noob like myself would be the first to figure that out....very tempting though since they're half the price of the Beyerdynamics gels and certainly durable/comfy since they're designed for pilot headgear. Ya know, I think I will try them first, unless someone chimes in and knows firsthand they wont work. Gonna enjoy them stock for a week, then with my M50 pads for a week, then I'll give the DC's a shot but will have the Beyerdynamic gels on order just in case.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

 

before i bought the black gels i had the same idea but i was scared they wouldnt fit do to their oval nature and the pro700mk2's are circular, this also was the reason i didnt like the m50 pads on them because due to them being a completly different shape, the bass bleeds out to much for my liking, the beyer pads are circular so less sound escapes and the gel conforms to your head so you get better isolation and a wider chamber that adds to the soundstage, so you get to preserve the bass, get added comfort and soundstage and dont change the sound characteristics too much all while just looking cool lol, let us know how the pilot gel pads work tho, i was this close to buying one before i found the black beyers

post #665 of 879

oh and i didnt add any cotton, i dont think it would fit and keep the pads hugging around the lip, i cant even put in the foam discs that cover the driver with the gel pads without them popping off, there is only enough room for the pads and the driver thats it 

post #666 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post

You should be able to use the eq in foobar and the eq on your sound card. Just select the sound card as the output device, and it should work. WASAPI just mutes everything else that isn't being used, and some that are in use. For instance, when I'm listening to my music and I want to watch a youtube vid, I have to exit foobar in order to get the sound because foobar currently had priority over everything else, and it muted the youtube vid. There is also a 31band eq for foobar. Just look at my settings below for the link

 

Yes EQing on foobar2000 works but I don't want that as I only want to use system-wide EQ application so that also games and movies and whatever sounds the same and soundcard's EQ won't make a difference when WASAPI is used, I can modify it but it's like if it's disabled as WASAPI bypasses it anyway.

post #667 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchi MerenGue 
before i bought the black gels i had the same idea but i was scared they wouldnt fit do to their oval nature and the pro700mk2's are circular, this also was the reason i didnt like the m50 pads on them because due to them being a completly different shape, the bass bleeds out to much for my liking, the beyer pads are circular so less sound escapes and the gel conforms to your head so you get better isolation and a wider chamber that adds to the soundstage, so you get to preserve the bass, get added comfort and soundstage and dont change the sound characteristics too much all while just looking cool lol, let us know how the pilot gel pads work tho, i was this close to buying one before i found the black beyers
Well I def don't want bass escaping so maybe I should scratch that idea. I guess the Beyerdynamics black gels it is. Thanks for the insight.

So since the clearance is so tight, maybe thats why some use tape...not only to keep the pad from spinning but also to hold it in place due to the cotton underneath. I get the functionality aspect, but don't think I could willfully do that to my cans. Hopefully this setup works for me, the RP—22x im replacing were bass monsters so hopefully these can hit as good as those and hopefully do better in the mids/highs ranges too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
post #668 of 879
Hey guys, 
 
This is my first post on these forums even though I have been reading them now for a couple of years.  I will lead off with my question so not to waste your time reading my background story, but I will be sure to include just a little of that at the end.
 
Question: I have just ordered a set of pro700Mk2 cans from amazon that should be in the beginning of next week or so.  I am pretty sure I am going to like the sound signature from them as I am a basshead to some extent, but I will get into that more a little later on.  What I am not looking forward to is the stock pads and the comfort level associated with them.  I have a small melon myself and I find m50's to be wearable all day at my job, even with my glasses on.  However, I am very interested in these gel pads I am seeing in this thread.  I am curious if the "EDT 300 GS" pads from the Beyerdynamic headphone accessory page are the same ones?  If not, will they fit the 700mk2's?  If the answer to both of those is no, could someone potentially provide me with some alternate solutions that I might be able to wear most of the day at work?  I tend to wear them for 1-2 hours at a time, then take them off for phone calls or meetings for around 30 minutes at a time.  I wear glasses when I am working on the computer which is when I would be wearing these for the longest consecutive times.  I also have pretty small ears so I do not think a circular pad would cause me any issues.
 
Thank you guys in advance, these forums are awesome!
 
Now just a little bit more info for those that might be curious: I have been browsing these forums for around two years since I discovered them trying to research some better headphones to use while I am at work.  Since then my desire for better sounding music has developed like an infection.  My first pair of cans that I bought with suggestions from these forums were SR80i's around 2 years ago.  I was amazed, what had I been listening to before?  What was I always missing from music, movies, and games?  The next set I bought were not audiophile headphones by any means but I did take some suggestions from the forums to pick up some Tritton AX720's for gaming headphones.  These were bought mostly for the mixamp, since the cans are basically free with it compared to other mixamps.  After comparing them to what my friends had been playing on I knew that I had made the right choice for the initial buy since even with the stock headphones they outperformed almost all other gaming sets in the price range.  After this about a year passed while I was enjoying these sets, but then I realized that I listen to far too much house, r&b, hip-hop, etc… to only be using my Grado's for all music genres.  I do listen to quite a bit of rock music, and they will always remain my go-to for that genre, well until I buy something else at least.  Most recently I bought a set of ATH-M50’s and all I could say was “Wow… I did not know that you could get this from a headphone.”  While I knew that there was a gap from consumer headphones and hi-fi ones, I just could not believe what I was hearing.  Here is where my story ceases to be a happy one.  Less than 20 days after I bought these M50’s the left earcup starts to develop a rattle.  I only notice it on a few songs, but that was enough to make me want to cry.  I will never forget the first time I heard it, I will never forgive Deadmau5 for writing “Some Chords”.   Luckily amazon makes it easy to return items less than 30 days old.  Here is the deal though, I always found myself making the EQ into what the 700MK2 already is, why not just go ahead and buy it already like designed that way.  (Detachable cord? Bonus!)  So here I am, I am returning my M50s for a full refund on amazon and the 700MK2’s are almost here.  I am just worried about the comfort factor.  Please help me out here, and maybe one day I will be able to do the same for someone else.  I both love and hate these forums, they have made my life so much more enjoyable, but at the cost of well… mostly just money.  Potentially my wife being mad at me when I can’t hear her, but I would have found another way to make her mad anyways.    
 
The moral to this story is thanks for always being informative, helpful, and generally awesome.
Chris
post #669 of 879

i also wear glasses and i have no trouble whatsoever using the black beyer gel pads on the pro700mk2's, i'd highly recommend getting some kind of different pad unless you feel like stretching the headband out over a few days to loosen the clamping force as they are incredibly tight and with glasses your discomfort is only going to increase

 

 

if you do go the beyer gel pad route (which i highly recommend) keep in mind that they are not the most secure fit in the world but it will get the job done, if you plan on putting  on and removing the the headphones on and off on and off on and off all throughout your workday you'd have to be a little careful when taking them off as the pads may slip off

 

 

 

you can easily fix this using double sided tape or velcro but i personally have no use or need for it, i just throw that out there as a "just in case" type scenario

 

 

edit: oh and the other gel mod that trae uses is using the original clear beyer pads that are now discontinued in case you were wondering

post #670 of 879

I am pretty sure that I am going to go with the black gel pads.  I am not too worried about them falling off as I will be careful, and the worst thing that could happen is I have to *gasp* put them back on.  I was just worried with all the talk about them being discontinued that the ones you are using were not still the sames ones available on the website.  Do the black ones still suffer from the "foil-ish" type of material on them?  I was reading some other threads complaining the clear ones were fine, but the black ones had some sort of foil-ish material on them.  Those threads were quite old and I have no idea if they are relevant to the specific model I was asking about.  I suppose it doesn't matter much since I really do not have much of an option for new pads since they come in black, or black...

 

Thank you for the follow-up I will let you know the results when I get everything in for sure!  Do you know if those pads are available from anywhere else, or is that the only place to buy them?

 

Chris

 

Edit:  Also with the gel pads on how long do you think you can wear the cans without feeling uncomfortable?


Edited by MadDawg - 8/17/12 at 1:58pm
post #671 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post

I am pretty sure that I am going to go with the black gel pads.  I am not too worried about them falling off as I will be careful, and the worst thing that could happen is I have to *gasp* put them back on.  I was just worried with all the talk about them being discontinued that the ones you are using were not still the sames ones available on the website.  Do the black ones still suffer from the "foil-ish" type of material on them?  I was reading some other threads complaining the clear ones were fine, but the black ones had some sort of foil-ish material on them.  Those threads were quite old and I have no idea if they are relevant to the specific model I was asking about.  I suppose it doesn't matter much since I really do not have much of an option for new pads since they come in black, or black...

 

Thank you for the follow-up I will let you know the results when I get everything in for sure!  Do you know if those pads are available from anywhere else, or is that the only place to buy them?

 

Chris

 

Edit:  Also with the gel pads on how long do you think you can wear the cans without feeling uncomfortable?

 

i know the thread you are talking about, i did my research before i bought mine because like you i was also looking for an alternative to the now discontinued clear beyer pads and the one thing i came away with from that thread was anger lol

 

 

the black "foil" if you can even call it that is no different than that which you would find covering any other non leather pad, im not sure if its vinyl or some offshoot of pleather but essentially thats all it is, its basically the clear beyer gel pads with a cover, they dont especially heat up from what i can tell nor do they "rust" off and detiorate leaving black residue or whatever on your ear, lol they're no different from any other pad apart from the fact that they're crazy comfortable and soft and give you an incredible seal

 

 

perhaps they were upset in how it felt in comparison to the clear gel pads i dont know, but you should have no problems or complaints whatsoever with them, i havent tested them outside in the summer heat but i dont think they would present any more problems than any other pad, my ears have gotten hotter inside xb500 and koss pro4aat pads than they have inside these squishy beasts on my athpro700mk2's lol

post #672 of 879

Well I won't be trying to mow my lawn in 100+ Texas heat with them on, but I might possibly take them to the gym every now and then so that is good to know.  I think I only have one more question about them now.  Do they remain fully circumaural with the gel pads or do they sit on the edges of your ears?  This may not even be a problem because of how soft they are, I am just curious.
 

post #673 of 879

completely circumaural, entire ear fits comfortably inside and i got decent sized ears lol, remember these were originally meant to go on dt770's which are circumaural phones, stock the pro700's rest uncomfortably on ear

post #674 of 879

Got my Pro700MKII's....good lord have mercy these things pump out that hard hitting bass I missed so much since my nephew broke my RP-22x. I've been using them on my 3g iPod Touch with a Fiio E6 on the "blue" EQ setting and have been blown away. I'm not a technical reviewer so don't ask me about sibilance, recession, darkness, forwardness or any of those things cause I couldn't tell ya, all I know is that these things bang and sound damn good to my ears. Got them yesterday. I ordered some Beyerdynamic gel ear cushions Friday after hours from B&H PhotoVideo, they shipped Monday from NY, I got them today in Northern Cali. That's what I call service! 

 

So I got home and checked them out....I was pleasantly surprised to see that the covering on them was alot softer and much more pliable than it looked like they'd be according to the pictures I'd seen online. I put them on my MKII's and like noted previously, they fit but are pretty loose and seem like they'd fall off quite easily if you weren't conscious of how you're handling them. Aside from that they are super comfortable and allow my whole ear to rest comfortably inside the cushion, they seal off nicely and have not adversely effected the output as far as I can tell. But based on how loose the pads are and how careful you've gotta be with them installed this way, I think I may end up taping them in place so I don't have to concern myself with that.

post #675 of 879

Glad to see many fans of the PRO700MK2. Audio-Technica must have thought to themselves, "Let's make a really great basshead headphone.. it has to have quantity, quality, rumble, punch, and everything else!" And we've got ourselves the PRO700MK2. Shame they totally forgot about comfort. biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.