or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 53

post #781 of 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujudow View Post
 

 

I'm pretty sure I put each wire in the right place, so it's just my bad solder job with the red wire? I was afraid of it being too squished in there.

Did you use the original wires? The coating has to be removed correctly and it's difficult. I used non-coated stranded wire-26g or similar will work. Makes the job SO much easier.


Edited by Rocko1 - 7/6/15 at 8:47am
post #782 of 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
 

Did you use the original wires? The coating has to be removed correctly and it's difficult. I used non-coated stranded wire-26g or similar will work. Makes the job SO much easier.

 

Yeah i used the original wires, I tried to burn off the coating with a match. It was pretty difficult and there was a lot of black soot on the wires afterwards. That may be the majority of the problem. I guess I'll try to re-solder with the original wires once more then if that does not work l'll try your method. Do you think it's a good idea to get rid of the thick black wire insulator that combined the 3 wires so they are loose inside the housing just so it won't be as cramped in there?


Edited by jujudow - 7/7/15 at 5:39pm
post #783 of 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujudow View Post
 

 

Yeah i used the original wires, I tried to burn off the coating with a match. It was pretty difficult and there was a lot of black soot on the wires afterwards. That may be the majority of the problem. I guess I'll try to re-solder with the original wires once more then if that does not work l'll try your method. Do you think it's a good idea to get rid of the thick black wire insulator that combined the 3 wires so they are loose inside the housing just so it won't be as cramped in there?

That won't really matter. I would just use 3 new small wires.

post #784 of 790

Just did the mod - was actually really easy - I replaced all three wires since it was no big deal.

 

Any recs for a good 3.5mm cable to go with this that is cheap?

post #785 of 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
 

Just did the mod - was actually really easy - I replaced all three wires since it was no big deal.

 

Any recs for a good 3.5mm cable to go with this that is cheap?

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B004LTEUDO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437146415&sr=8-2&keywords=3.5mm+aux+cable

post #786 of 790

Finally got mine working, its great!

post #787 of 790

If you are using a jack that uses a nut to secure itself in place, I suggest you ditch the nut and just use a hot glue gun. Hot glue would provide a bigger surface area to anchor the jack. 

 

If using the nut, fastening it basically sandwiches the plastic housing to secure the jack. This is bad because the pressure caused by the cable getting pulled or tugged is translated to the very small amount of plastic that's holding the jack in place. This can cause the plastic around the jack to crack.

 

Perhaps I screwed the nut on too tightly or the cable got yanked too hard, but either way the housing around the jack on my M50s cracked and I just wanted to share that with you guys. 

post #788 of 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthungrymonke View Post
 

If you are using a jack that uses a nut to secure itself in place, I suggest you ditch the nut and just use a hot glue gun. Hot glue would provide a bigger surface area to anchor the jack. 

 

If using the nut, fastening it basically sandwiches the plastic housing to secure the jack. This is bad because the pressure caused by the cable getting pulled or tugged is translated to the very small amount of plastic that's holding the jack in place. This can cause the plastic around the jack to crack.

 

Perhaps I screwed the nut on too tightly or the cable got yanked too hard, but either way the housing around the jack on my M50s cracked and I just wanted to share that with you guys. 

I did not over tighten mine. Just enough to prevent movement, then a dab of hot glue to prevent it from backing off.

post #789 of 790
I been thinking of adding a removable cable to my Ath-M50 for some time now. The reason I haven't done it yet is that I don't want the end result to look bad ( like a picture I saw with glue gun glu all over the connector) but also I'm afraid I'll never be able to snap the cup back completely. They fit so much stuff that needs to be put back a certain way otherwise you'll crush something, the clips will keep popping open or you'll end up just breaking the darn thing. My iPod 5.5 came real close to becoming a permanent part of my wall because of that.

Anyway my question is, now that they came out with the Ath-M50x that has the removable cable, is it worth it to mod my regular straight cabled M50? I already have the headphones and the parts needed, I would just need to find best type of wire to make the cable.
post #790 of 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinabox View Post

I been thinking of adding a removable cable to my Ath-M50 for some time now. The reason I haven't done it yet is that I don't want the end result to look bad ( like a picture I saw with glue gun glu all over the connector) but also I'm afraid I'll never be able to snap the cup back completely. They fit so much stuff that needs to be put back a certain way otherwise you'll crush something, the clips will keep popping open or you'll end up just breaking the darn thing. My iPod 5.5 came real close to becoming a permanent part of my wall because of that.

Anyway my question is, now that they came out with the Ath-M50x that has the removable cable, is it worth it to mod my regular straight cabled M50? I already have the headphones and the parts needed, I would just need to find best type of wire to make the cable.

Look back at my work. Does this look bad? No, looks stock. Use my parts and info. You can do it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: