some versions of that connector don't have a nut, they have wings that hold it there after it's been inserted all the way. When I have use the one with a locking nut, I don't use the nut I epoxy instead.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 5/24/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
I am believer in positive effects of a good cable and I like to try different aftermarket cables to see what sonic changes can be. I have contacted with Null Audio while I was looking for a new...
Introduction: One of my favorite parts of this hobby that I've grown to love over the past few years is trying new things and just experiencing how different components (or combination of...
I have to say I was very impressed with this little beauty. For my 63 yr. young ears after being subjected to some of the most ferocious live hard rock and heavy metal it really does justice to...
Setup I got my pair on sale for $150 USD. I have had a few lower end AKG headphones and have never been disappointed with the value and sound signature they offered. It's been a long time...
This is my first review. Honestly I am quite new to head-fi although I have tried and bought and sold a lot of headphones and earphones lately. I bought a pair of MA750 a week ago for 108USD in...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 52post #766 of 7705/19/15 at 4:39pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #767 of 7705/19/15 at 9:25pmQuote:
Thanks. Mine has a nut. I am able to get a couple spins so it looks like it will work. Now soldering those damn epoxy coated wires is a different story.post #768 of 7705/20/15 at 1:33amQuote:
Always replace the enameled wires when doing this, they are junk.post #769 of 7705/20/15 at 10:21amQuote:
I am going to re-do mine with non-coated 20 or 22g wires. I can't stand the thought of a poorly soldered joint inside my cans! Thanks.post #770 of 7705/21/15 at 8:34am
Spent the last two nights doing the mod. Made a couple of mistakes from trying to rush. Soldered it all up and forgot the nut on the inside. Used the MJ-073H jack from Newark which has the retaining nut on the underside of the jack.
Soldering the stock coated hair wires is a royal pain. I decided to use some 18 or 20g copper stranded wires and that was much easier. Problem is the wires are too thick and take up too much space in the cup with the white padding material installed.
Did everyone used thicker wires put the white padding that sits on the bottom of the cup back in place?
Anyway, here is the result. Came out very nice.Return Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › World's first portable Hybrid Valve Headphone Amplifier (with a... 1 second ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 11 seconds ago
- › New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris! 38 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Fiio x1 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 and HDVA 600 Review 2 minutes ago
- › Brighter HD650? 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware) 4 minutes ago
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by xevman
- › Trinity - Techne Dynamic IEM by mark2410
- › Ubsound Fighter in-ear monitor with universal inline microphone and... by acain
- › T-Peos Altone250 by Cotnijoe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2