Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/29/16
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Firstly I would like to thank iFi for this sample to review, as always I try to write honest reviews, this unit has had over 50hrs of burn-in, no real differences were noted. Gear Used: HP...
At 240 dollars new (price I paid) there is not a single headphone in the world with better price/performance ratio. Each song is a new listening experience and these sound far superior to any other...
I am writing this because I have read so much more than I have written, and I believe it's time to give back. There are two new versions of JVC's famous Bass iem: The FX99X and the FX77X, I am...
BACKGROUND I enjoyed my Superlux HD-330 for several months. I always had a closed pair, an open pair, and earbuds at any given situation to cover all my needs – isolated listening, awareness of...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 41
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #602 of 7974/20/14 at 4:13pmpost #603 of 7974/20/14 at 4:17pmpost #604 of 7974/20/14 at 5:51pm
Like I said in the DIY questions thread, it's probably going to be too big if you dont want to affect the sound in that cup. You could probably modify an in-line mini xlr connector and mount it to the headphones so it looks like the M50x design, that wouldn't take up any of the inner cup volume. It could look pretty sweet to if you can pull off the mod.post #605 of 7974/20/14 at 6:30pmpost #606 of 7974/20/14 at 8:40pm
I wouldn't call that minimal at all, but it does look like a nice jack. If you don't mind having the 3.5mm jack sticking out like that, that would be the best connector to use. I personally like the lower profile outer look.post #607 of 7974/20/14 at 8:50pmpost #608 of 7974/21/14 at 3:13amQuote:
I saw this mod before I bought my chassis, but its to expencive and bulky... So at the end I have gone with my chassis and it was cheap, and the cutting was easy because I've used the soldering iron for that and it came out nice and tight, and didn't changed the sound...
So im happy.post #609 of 7974/21/14 at 7:34ampost #610 of 7974/21/14 at 3:42pmQuote:
Nicely done, I did a similar mod using a modified inline locking jack. Like yours it moves the bulk of the jack outside of the driver casing to minimize the need to remove a bunch of the material inside.
As I mentioned, I modified the jack by cutting the threaded barrel portion off to create lock ring.
It hard to explain but when I get my comment count up enough for upload privileges, I will post pictures.post #611 of 7974/23/14 at 5:52am
Based on all the information in this thread (appreciate all the contributions), I attempted this mod last night. I used the Parts Express jack, and everything was soldered up and working fine until final assembly. Now I'm not getting any sound at all from the right driver. I did a quick continuity check and all seems to be okay (jack to left driver, jack to red/black "passthrough" to the right driver). I've tried the same source, but multiple AUX cables, with the same result. Can someone help me identify the issue and what to check next? Thanks in advance.
EDIT - False alarm, loose connection into the source.
Edited by drangel1 - 4/23/14 at 7:28ampost #612 of 7974/23/14 at 11:06ampost #613 of 7974/23/14 at 8:56pm
I don't want to ruin my girlfriend's M50's, so I'm going to ask before doing any rash things.. How do I take off the rubber thing where the 3.5mm female plug is supposed to go?(the one that makes it detachable.)post #614 of 7974/23/14 at 11:04pmQuote:
I think you're talking about the rubber grommet where the cable passes through the cup?
If that is the case, it just pulls out along with the cable after you desolder the wires from the driver.
You won't hurt anything by taking it out, but by that point that you remove it, you'll have already desoldered the cable so you'll have already committed to the job. Commit bro, commit.post #615 of 7974/24/14 at 1:30amReturn Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › Hello, I'm new here. 23 seconds ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 47 seconds ago
- › New - Cowon Plenue S 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output) 6 minutes ago
- › Does FM result in degradation of music? 7 minutes ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › UITaudio PMP-354P by Army-Firedawg
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ngoshawk
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by Army-Firedawg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear