- 2,275 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: Orange County, California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/29/16
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 34post #496 of 7971/26/14 at 7:11pmDepending on the mini xlr jack, you'll likely have to drill out the hole on the cup to fit. Lots of 3.5 options that fit well without modification.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #497 of 7971/26/14 at 8:29pmpost #498 of 7971/27/14 at 10:56ampost #499 of 7971/27/14 at 11:25amQuote:
Meh, IMO if youre going to go mini-XLR for this mod, get a black and name brand quality one: LINK The datasheet there should be the same for the one your looking at too.post #500 of 7972/1/14 at 1:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by davidwyl
Ask you need is these 2:
the 3.5mm jack plug with locking mechanism come with a black rubber tension release, im not happy with that. So i got this http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/140584282253?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and swap the rubber with the metal spring.
look much nicer, and matching with the other end of the athm50 cable.
Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Here is a US distributor for what appears to be the same locking stereo jacks and plugs:
This is the panel mount locking jack:
And this this the locking plug:
Here is an eBay seller with the locking plug, but they don't have the jack:
And another potential source for the spring style strain relief:post #501 of 7972/2/14 at 3:08pmpost #502 of 7972/2/14 at 4:29pmpost #503 of 7972/2/14 at 5:28pmThink he means what 3.5mm are they using.
Some people reterminate the stock cable with a new plug. Alternatively, some buy or make new cables. All comes down to preference.
I did it so I could make a shorter/lighter cable for it.post #504 of 7972/2/14 at 7:51pmpost #505 of 7972/2/14 at 9:30pmWe all use the words with our own meanings attached. You should see some of the arguments that get started over what the "true" definition of certain audiophile descriptive words mean.
It gets pretty brutal and hilarious watching people argue over what terms like "laid back" mean. When the answer is that people assign their own meanings based on their individual experiences.
On a side note, I still think I'd rather do this mod on a Pair of M50s instead of getting the M50x models.post #506 of 7972/3/14 at 1:04am
Agreed, but lets put this into perspective.
It's not at all a bad option for non DIY-ers. You can currently buy the M50's on amazon for $130 and the M50x's for $170 when they are released. After all equipment needed to do the mod it's probably a $20 difference. For the last $20 you are being assured a great pair of headphones (assuming the X's are pretty much the same as the standard minus the removable cable.) with no possibility for mistakes. Also, you are not voiding your warranty in case of any damages. However, I got my M50's for $100 so no question that I will be modifying mine.post #507 of 7972/3/14 at 10:32ampost #508 of 7972/3/14 at 12:58pmpost #509 of 7972/3/14 at 1:14pmpost #510 of 7972/12/14 at 8:14am
Has anyone tried to plug a Bluetooth receiver in theirs post modding? If so how is the quality / volume? I was thinking about getting something like
that and sticking it to the side of the headphones; but I'm hesitating because I don't know what the sound will be like.Return Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid) 2 minutes ago
- › The Zishan dsd's corner 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first... 3 minutes ago
- › Rampant scammers on amazon 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Where to buy akg k712 earpad replacement! HELP 6 minutes ago
- › Reply to get FiiO's New In-Ear Monitors F1 for Free 7 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 7 minutes ago
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones by Peddler
- › iFi Audio iEMatch Headphone Travel Accessory by Hisoundfi
- › Soundaware Esther by ambchang
- › ZMF Headphones Eikon by Hisoundfi
- › HiFiMAN Edition S by Aornic
- › Accutone Taurus by mark2410
- › Remax RM 305M Aluminum Earbud by Redcarmoose
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear