- 2,278 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: Orange County, California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/29/16
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Introduction I have owned these headphones for four years now. These were my first decent pair that I researched before buying. Before this I had just bought inexpensive headphones that happened...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we're going to be checking out a wireless Bluetooth speaker from Archeer, the A320. Archeer sells a pretty wide variety of products like cellphone cases, headphones,...
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 34post #496 of 7981/26/14 at 7:11pmDepending on the mini xlr jack, you'll likely have to drill out the hole on the cup to fit. Lots of 3.5 options that fit well without modification.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #497 of 7981/26/14 at 8:29pmpost #498 of 7981/27/14 at 10:56ampost #499 of 7981/27/14 at 11:25amQuote:
Meh, IMO if youre going to go mini-XLR for this mod, get a black and name brand quality one: LINK The datasheet there should be the same for the one your looking at too.post #500 of 7982/1/14 at 1:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by davidwyl
Ask you need is these 2:
the 3.5mm jack plug with locking mechanism come with a black rubber tension release, im not happy with that. So i got this http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/140584282253?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 and swap the rubber with the metal spring.
look much nicer, and matching with the other end of the athm50 cable.
Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Here is a US distributor for what appears to be the same locking stereo jacks and plugs:
This is the panel mount locking jack:
And this this the locking plug:
Here is an eBay seller with the locking plug, but they don't have the jack:
And another potential source for the spring style strain relief:post #501 of 7982/2/14 at 3:08pmpost #502 of 7982/2/14 at 4:29pmpost #503 of 7982/2/14 at 5:28pmThink he means what 3.5mm are they using.
Some people reterminate the stock cable with a new plug. Alternatively, some buy or make new cables. All comes down to preference.
I did it so I could make a shorter/lighter cable for it.post #504 of 7982/2/14 at 7:51pmpost #505 of 7982/2/14 at 9:30pmWe all use the words with our own meanings attached. You should see some of the arguments that get started over what the "true" definition of certain audiophile descriptive words mean.
It gets pretty brutal and hilarious watching people argue over what terms like "laid back" mean. When the answer is that people assign their own meanings based on their individual experiences.
On a side note, I still think I'd rather do this mod on a Pair of M50s instead of getting the M50x models.post #506 of 7982/3/14 at 1:04am
Agreed, but lets put this into perspective.
It's not at all a bad option for non DIY-ers. You can currently buy the M50's on amazon for $130 and the M50x's for $170 when they are released. After all equipment needed to do the mod it's probably a $20 difference. For the last $20 you are being assured a great pair of headphones (assuming the X's are pretty much the same as the standard minus the removable cable.) with no possibility for mistakes. Also, you are not voiding your warranty in case of any damages. However, I got my M50's for $100 so no question that I will be modifying mine.post #507 of 7982/3/14 at 10:32ampost #508 of 7982/3/14 at 12:58pmpost #509 of 7982/3/14 at 1:14pmpost #510 of 7982/12/14 at 8:14am
Has anyone tried to plug a Bluetooth receiver in theirs post modding? If so how is the quality / volume? I was thinking about getting something like
that and sticking it to the side of the headphones; but I'm hesitating because I don't know what the sound will be like.Return Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › FS: Custom maxed-out LM3886 GainClone with Regulated PSU (Great... 20 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5iii Firmware Modification Project - PURIST REMIXED WITH... 21 seconds ago
- › Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements 1 minute ago
- › AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard... 1 minute ago
- › Closed back headphones suggestions? 2 minutes ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 3 minutes ago
- › My Empire Ears Athena (8-BA) CIEM for your SE5 ULT / NT6 PRO 3 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K240 MKII Headphones by Napalmhardcore
- › ARCHEER 25W Bluetooth Home Speakers with Huge Bass and Superior... by B9Scrambler
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear