- 1,705 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: Orange County, California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 27post #391 of 68910/7/13 at 6:15pmCould do a 5 inch cable like that with dual lock and secure it to the side of the cup.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #392 of 68910/15/13 at 10:43pm
Hey everyone, I'm having some issues doing this mod.. tried the female jack and tested it and no sound... wired back up the original wire and still no sound. No idea what went wrong here... if I had wired the female jack wrong the headphones should have at least worked when I wired the original cable back. Help is very much appreciated. thanks.post #393 of 68910/15/13 at 10:48pmpost #394 of 68910/15/13 at 11:18pm
Sorry I don't have pictures but this is the headphone jack im using:
I also used the original wires that are inside the can, (black, red, green) I'm assuming black is ground and red/green are left and right.
Tried wiring the jack and tested with a vmoda talk easy wire and no sound. Tried the original wire and just wired back the black to black, red to red, green to green and still no sound.post #395 of 68910/15/13 at 11:28pmpost #396 of 68910/16/13 at 6:09ampost #397 of 68910/20/13 at 2:31pmpost #398 of 68910/20/13 at 2:33pmQuote:
You can post your photos on imgur and link them here. Been there myself.post #399 of 68910/20/13 at 4:56pm
I want to mod my M50's but iv'e never soldered anything before and don't know how lol. I'm a complete noob. Has anyone sent their M50's to soundprofessionals to get the mod done? Im thinking about doing this since I would have no idea what im doing if i tried to mod it myself.post #400 of 68910/20/13 at 6:11pmpost #401 of 68910/20/13 at 7:08pmpost #402 of 68910/22/13 at 12:36amQuote:
To tin the wires in order to make a proper connection, you must burn off the enamel coating with a lighter. You should end up with shiny copper. Overdoing it with the lighter action can leave the copper black with oxidation, and thus useless; then you'll have to snip off the oxidized part and try again. You only need to tin a few millimeters of each wire. With my adjustable Hakko 936 soldering station, I just crank up the heat then burn away the enamel and tin the wires in one go quickly.
You can easily find youtube videos on soldering to help you get the hang of it. There might even be a video or two on working with enamel-coated wires specifically.
Edited by Mad Max - 10/22/13 at 12:37ampost #403 of 68911/10/13 at 2:40pmpost #404 of 68911/10/13 at 2:46pmReturn Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › Question about a Y adapter 7 seconds ago
- › Best looking tube amp 2 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Review and comparison of DUNU DN-1000, DN-2000, & JVC HA-FX850 5 minutes ago
- › Tekfusion® Twinwoofers® In-Ear Headphones - Reviewers Needed! 5 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 5 minutes ago
- › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! 5 minutes ago
- › Creative Titanium HD VS dedicated DAC 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)