- 1,894 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: Orange County, California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
After owning the PS Audio PWD II for six months, most recently running firmware version 2.4.6 (which is the best I tried), I wanted to move to a dac/preamp solution that would include analog inputs...
Prior to owning the Ref 1, Tralucent Audio was primarily known to me for it Uber cable as well as its silver/gold cable. I own both cables terminated for Fitear customs. I have had the Ref 1...
Introduction – As the current flagship of the young company Brainwavz, the R3 has a quite a lot on its shoulders. Utilizing a relatively new dual-dynamic driver configuration, uncommon with most...
Disclaimer: a. I am in no way affiliated with Fiio b. The X1 audition was a part of a world tour audition. c. There is no monetary or in kind gain due to the audition. With the disclaimer...
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 27post #391 of 70810/7/13 at 6:15pmCould do a 5 inch cable like that with dual lock and secure it to the side of the cup.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #392 of 70810/15/13 at 10:43pm
Hey everyone, I'm having some issues doing this mod.. tried the female jack and tested it and no sound... wired back up the original wire and still no sound. No idea what went wrong here... if I had wired the female jack wrong the headphones should have at least worked when I wired the original cable back. Help is very much appreciated. thanks.post #393 of 70810/15/13 at 10:48pmpost #394 of 70810/15/13 at 11:18pm
Sorry I don't have pictures but this is the headphone jack im using:
I also used the original wires that are inside the can, (black, red, green) I'm assuming black is ground and red/green are left and right.
Tried wiring the jack and tested with a vmoda talk easy wire and no sound. Tried the original wire and just wired back the black to black, red to red, green to green and still no sound.post #395 of 70810/15/13 at 11:28pmpost #396 of 70810/16/13 at 6:09ampost #397 of 70810/20/13 at 2:31pmpost #398 of 70810/20/13 at 2:33pmQuote:
You can post your photos on imgur and link them here. Been there myself.post #399 of 70810/20/13 at 4:56pm
I want to mod my M50's but iv'e never soldered anything before and don't know how lol. I'm a complete noob. Has anyone sent their M50's to soundprofessionals to get the mod done? Im thinking about doing this since I would have no idea what im doing if i tried to mod it myself.post #400 of 70810/20/13 at 6:11pmpost #401 of 70810/20/13 at 7:08pmpost #402 of 70810/22/13 at 12:36amQuote:
To tin the wires in order to make a proper connection, you must burn off the enamel coating with a lighter. You should end up with shiny copper. Overdoing it with the lighter action can leave the copper black with oxidation, and thus useless; then you'll have to snip off the oxidized part and try again. You only need to tin a few millimeters of each wire. With my adjustable Hakko 936 soldering station, I just crank up the heat then burn away the enamel and tin the wires in one go quickly.
You can easily find youtube videos on soldering to help you get the hang of it. There might even be a video or two on working with enamel-coated wires specifically.
Edited by Mad Max - 10/22/13 at 12:37ampost #403 of 70811/10/13 at 2:40pmpost #404 of 70811/10/13 at 2:46pmReturn Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › HifiMan HE-560 US Touring Event - Sign up List Updated 8 seconds ago
- › [REVIEW] Shure SE215 32 seconds ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir Headphone Amplifer 2 minutes ago
- › Rockbox for iPOD Classic 6g 7g mSATA SSD MOD 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE-846 Open Box plus extras 2 minutes ago
- › The best headphones that give you a real fun experience when... 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype 3 minutes ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 3 minutes ago
- › Grace Design m920 by boatheelmusic
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kiats
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Audiophile1811
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by hitchhiker
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)