- 2,040 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: Orange County, California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Is being a Jack of all trades and Master of none really a bad thing? Firstly thank you to RHA and Lin0003 for organizing the tour of the T10i as this was one IEM I was...
Purchased this system off of Ebay. Overall very good sound, impressive sound output with powerful bass response, at its price point ($250} I think it is the system to beat, the satellites sound...
I got these from Amazon. Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical due to lack of reviews at the time (positive or negative). But I was ordering my Crossfade LPs [they good or bad, is an entirely...
These have been a real dream to listen to. They have a really good range of sound not artificial sounding at all. They have have as a matter fact excellent tremble. They don't pull the mids to...
Ok! Point number 1: horrible button layout! Point number 2: excellent sound quality! The stock theme is badly designed. EDIT: There are custom themes that make the player look much...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 27post #391 of 72510/7/13 at 6:15pmCould do a 5 inch cable like that with dual lock and secure it to the side of the cup.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #392 of 72510/15/13 at 10:43pm
Hey everyone, I'm having some issues doing this mod.. tried the female jack and tested it and no sound... wired back up the original wire and still no sound. No idea what went wrong here... if I had wired the female jack wrong the headphones should have at least worked when I wired the original cable back. Help is very much appreciated. thanks.post #393 of 72510/15/13 at 10:48pmpost #394 of 72510/15/13 at 11:18pm
Sorry I don't have pictures but this is the headphone jack im using:
I also used the original wires that are inside the can, (black, red, green) I'm assuming black is ground and red/green are left and right.
Tried wiring the jack and tested with a vmoda talk easy wire and no sound. Tried the original wire and just wired back the black to black, red to red, green to green and still no sound.post #395 of 72510/15/13 at 11:28pmpost #396 of 72510/16/13 at 6:09ampost #397 of 72510/20/13 at 2:31pmpost #398 of 72510/20/13 at 2:33pmQuote:
You can post your photos on imgur and link them here. Been there myself.post #399 of 72510/20/13 at 4:56pm
I want to mod my M50's but iv'e never soldered anything before and don't know how lol. I'm a complete noob. Has anyone sent their M50's to soundprofessionals to get the mod done? Im thinking about doing this since I would have no idea what im doing if i tried to mod it myself.post #400 of 72510/20/13 at 6:11pmpost #401 of 72510/20/13 at 7:08pmpost #402 of 72510/22/13 at 12:36amQuote:
To tin the wires in order to make a proper connection, you must burn off the enamel coating with a lighter. You should end up with shiny copper. Overdoing it with the lighter action can leave the copper black with oxidation, and thus useless; then you'll have to snip off the oxidized part and try again. You only need to tin a few millimeters of each wire. With my adjustable Hakko 936 soldering station, I just crank up the heat then burn away the enamel and tin the wires in one go quickly.
You can easily find youtube videos on soldering to help you get the hang of it. There might even be a video or two on working with enamel-coated wires specifically.
Edited by Mad Max - 10/22/13 at 12:37ampost #403 of 72511/10/13 at 2:40pmpost #404 of 72511/10/13 at 2:46pmReturn Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 27 seconds ago
- › headphones in dorm 1 minute ago
- › Westone W40 vs Shure se846 or Sennheiser IE800? 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2 4 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › DT990 Pro Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › How Can I Trust Head-Fi Reviews? 4 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i by gikigill
- › Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-Power 2.1 PC Speaker System... by Croozer
- › V-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal... by atkhan
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by Ragingfighter
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by hstubc
- › Inspire by Dennis Had IHA-1 Dragon Version by BlakeT
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by JoeDoe
- › Koss RUK 30K Noise Isolating In-Ear Stereophone, Black by ajlan
- › Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi by Ataka
- › Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset by TsukiNick
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)