Post pictures when your done! and let us know how you like it. I've been thinking of converting my 3.5mm mod to xlr because of the locking feature. I find myself constantly tugging on it ever now when i'm walking causing me to lose audio in one ear.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 7/6/15
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 7/14/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
(note: pictures included are not mine, I grabbed them from the net to make the article easier to read) I've had these for well over a year and used them at least 5 days-a-week during that...
Many thanks to Brooko for arranging this tour unit Pros: External Playlists: Pretty much my number one priority after sound, this took some fiddling to get working from my Mac/iTunes but I...
At the time of the review, the Venture Electronics Zen was on sale on the company’s Aliexpress store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
MEElectronics/MEEaudio Introduction My experience with IEMs is short lived, but I've had fair enough experience to give you proper detailing. I mainly use detachable only, and can report from...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 78812/3/12 at 10:47ampost #213 of 78812/5/12 at 4:23pmOh god. I bought the parts from Newark and did the mod today. I am pretty good at DIY but no matter what I did I couldn't get the solder to turn bright silver. I ended up trying to resolder so many times that I melted the plastic behind the flat connectors and even broke a piece off. I got it all hooked up and it seems to not sound any different...
Good mod and all, I just don't understand.post #214 of 78812/5/12 at 6:30pm
I have done it last night and i'm having a hard time closing back the left cup, I wonder what's keeping it up, I have checked everything, melted the holder of the driver but its still opening, I have tried removing the round foam and it fits very well, maybe its because of the wires. However, I put back the foam :D
post #215 of 78812/5/12 at 7:13pm
Looks good, jmwreck. I am not sure whether to use a Mini XLR or 3.5mm. XLR provides a secure connection that won't fall out and hopefully I won't have to cut or melt anything, but the 3.5mm is obviously compatible with more things.post #216 of 78812/5/12 at 10:31pmpost #217 of 78812/5/12 at 11:18pmpost #218 of 78812/6/12 at 5:56ampost #219 of 78812/6/12 at 4:11pm
I just did this mod on my M50s... it was damn fiddly but I got there! Australian guys, you can get the Lumburg jack from:
It's out of stock until March 2013 :P
So the jack that I got was this one from Jaycar:
It works well! It's spring loaded so it grips tightly, doesn't crackle and fits nicely inside the enclosure. Make sure you mount it so the thinest part is facing you so that it sticks out of the hole as much as possible to give the nut something to grip on. Like the other sockets, you'll have to snip away some plastic to make room.
M50s with the v-moda cable and remote is amazing! Such a good fit and it looks awesome! Beats guys suck it!
edit: Everyone do yourself a favour and unsolder the original wires and use standard grade wire with no nylon. No stripping / messing around required...
Edited by jamontoast - 12/6/12 at 4:13pmpost #220 of 78812/6/12 at 4:31pmpost #221 of 78812/6/12 at 5:55pmpost #222 of 78812/18/12 at 11:06pm
Just finished this mod with radioshack 3.5mm jack.
I just had to remove one plastic column inside the headphone. It was very simple and I recommend this part. Just be careful not to pull and snap the cable because that's what I did and I had a hell of time trying to figure out why my right channel was not working. I ended up just wiring right channel wire to right channel wire from the jack.
Edited by playdo2 - 8/25/13 at 3:53pmpost #223 of 78812/19/12 at 5:13am
Hey guys , I think I wanna Mod my M50 to be detachable cables .So, all i need is these things right :-
# Solder / Solder Sucker / Solder Welding 30W / small screw driver
Is there any particular type of any item above that i need to know?
By the way , I'm not sure about the chassis and the cable that would replace its original ones (preferably coiled ) ! So, can suggest or give me link ?
How did you guys cut the hole for the chassis and stripping the wire?
# I live in Malaysia .So , most product wont be available in my country and one more thing , I'm only 15 and I need guidance for modding my M50!
Edited by MiyuuKun - 12/19/12 at 5:15ampost #224 of 78812/20/12 at 11:51amReturn Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › Welcome to the SchiitShow! 1 second ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 44 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › (NEW) FiiO E12A for IEMs! 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Mola Mola dac 4 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3