Post pictures when your done! and let us know how you like it. I've been thinking of converting my 3.5mm mod to xlr because of the locking feature. I find myself constantly tugging on it ever now when i'm walking causing me to lose audio in one ear.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 68212/3/12 at 10:47ampost #213 of 68212/5/12 at 4:23pmOh god. I bought the parts from Newark and did the mod today. I am pretty good at DIY but no matter what I did I couldn't get the solder to turn bright silver. I ended up trying to resolder so many times that I melted the plastic behind the flat connectors and even broke a piece off. I got it all hooked up and it seems to not sound any different...
Good mod and all, I just don't understand.post #214 of 68212/5/12 at 6:30pm
I have done it last night and i'm having a hard time closing back the left cup, I wonder what's keeping it up, I have checked everything, melted the holder of the driver but its still opening, I have tried removing the round foam and it fits very well, maybe its because of the wires. However, I put back the foam :D
post #215 of 68212/5/12 at 7:13pm
Looks good, jmwreck. I am not sure whether to use a Mini XLR or 3.5mm. XLR provides a secure connection that won't fall out and hopefully I won't have to cut or melt anything, but the 3.5mm is obviously compatible with more things.post #216 of 68212/5/12 at 10:31pmpost #217 of 68212/5/12 at 11:18pmpost #218 of 68212/6/12 at 5:56ampost #219 of 68212/6/12 at 4:11pm
I just did this mod on my M50s... it was damn fiddly but I got there! Australian guys, you can get the Lumburg jack from:
It's out of stock until March 2013 :P
So the jack that I got was this one from Jaycar:
It works well! It's spring loaded so it grips tightly, doesn't crackle and fits nicely inside the enclosure. Make sure you mount it so the thinest part is facing you so that it sticks out of the hole as much as possible to give the nut something to grip on. Like the other sockets, you'll have to snip away some plastic to make room.
M50s with the v-moda cable and remote is amazing! Such a good fit and it looks awesome! Beats guys suck it!
edit: Everyone do yourself a favour and unsolder the original wires and use standard grade wire with no nylon. No stripping / messing around required...
Edited by jamontoast - 12/6/12 at 4:13pmpost #220 of 68212/6/12 at 4:31pmpost #221 of 68212/6/12 at 5:55pmpost #222 of 68212/18/12 at 11:06pm
Just finished this mod with radioshack 3.5mm jack.
I just had to remove one plastic column inside the headphone. It was very simple and I recommend this part. Just be careful not to pull and snap the cable because that's what I did and I had a hell of time trying to figure out why my right channel was not working. I ended up just wiring right channel wire to right channel wire from the jack.
Edited by playdo2 - 8/25/13 at 3:53pmpost #223 of 68212/19/12 at 5:13am
Hey guys , I think I wanna Mod my M50 to be detachable cables .So, all i need is these things right :-
# Solder / Solder Sucker / Solder Welding 30W / small screw driver
Is there any particular type of any item above that i need to know?
By the way , I'm not sure about the chassis and the cable that would replace its original ones (preferably coiled ) ! So, can suggest or give me link ?
How did you guys cut the hole for the chassis and stripping the wire?
# I live in Malaysia .So , most product wont be available in my country and one more thing , I'm only 15 and I need guidance for modding my M50!
Edited by MiyuuKun - 12/19/12 at 5:15ampost #224 of 68212/20/12 at 11:51amReturn Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- DIY Cable Info and Resources
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › audio-technica ATH-A2000X 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 2 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › whats so good about beats headphones? 5 minutes ago
- › Jerry Harvey Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Custom IEM by mikemercer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones by Im2spec1al
- › AudioFly AF180 In-Ear Monitors by hardbop
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by DVass13
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by jant71
- › HiFiMAN RE-600 by Matias
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by HK_sends
- › Wadia 121 Decoding Computer Digital to Analog Converter by Armaegis
- › AKG X323XS by dweaver
- › Shure SE535LTD RED by hardbop
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)