Post pictures when your done! and let us know how you like it. I've been thinking of converting my 3.5mm mod to xlr because of the locking feature. I find myself constantly tugging on it ever now when i'm walking causing me to lose audio in one ear.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Today
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
These headphones generally are excellent. They possess this remarkable mixture of openness and intimacy at the same time. There’s a true sense of soundstage, with a good width and depth and still...
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
Over the recent months, Creative has been bursting out some pretty nice portable gears aiming from the basic casual user all the way up to serious audiophiles. Most importantly, they are pricing...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 72012/3/12 at 10:47ampost #213 of 72012/5/12 at 4:23pmOh god. I bought the parts from Newark and did the mod today. I am pretty good at DIY but no matter what I did I couldn't get the solder to turn bright silver. I ended up trying to resolder so many times that I melted the plastic behind the flat connectors and even broke a piece off. I got it all hooked up and it seems to not sound any different...
Good mod and all, I just don't understand.post #214 of 72012/5/12 at 6:30pm
I have done it last night and i'm having a hard time closing back the left cup, I wonder what's keeping it up, I have checked everything, melted the holder of the driver but its still opening, I have tried removing the round foam and it fits very well, maybe its because of the wires. However, I put back the foam :D
post #215 of 72012/5/12 at 7:13pm
Looks good, jmwreck. I am not sure whether to use a Mini XLR or 3.5mm. XLR provides a secure connection that won't fall out and hopefully I won't have to cut or melt anything, but the 3.5mm is obviously compatible with more things.post #216 of 72012/5/12 at 10:31pmpost #217 of 72012/5/12 at 11:18pmpost #218 of 72012/6/12 at 5:56ampost #219 of 72012/6/12 at 4:11pm
I just did this mod on my M50s... it was damn fiddly but I got there! Australian guys, you can get the Lumburg jack from:
It's out of stock until March 2013 :P
So the jack that I got was this one from Jaycar:
It works well! It's spring loaded so it grips tightly, doesn't crackle and fits nicely inside the enclosure. Make sure you mount it so the thinest part is facing you so that it sticks out of the hole as much as possible to give the nut something to grip on. Like the other sockets, you'll have to snip away some plastic to make room.
M50s with the v-moda cable and remote is amazing! Such a good fit and it looks awesome! Beats guys suck it!
edit: Everyone do yourself a favour and unsolder the original wires and use standard grade wire with no nylon. No stripping / messing around required...
Edited by jamontoast - 12/6/12 at 4:13pmpost #220 of 72012/6/12 at 4:31pmpost #221 of 72012/6/12 at 5:55pmpost #222 of 72012/18/12 at 11:06pm
Just finished this mod with radioshack 3.5mm jack.
I just had to remove one plastic column inside the headphone. It was very simple and I recommend this part. Just be careful not to pull and snap the cable because that's what I did and I had a hell of time trying to figure out why my right channel was not working. I ended up just wiring right channel wire to right channel wire from the jack.
Edited by playdo2 - 8/25/13 at 3:53pmpost #223 of 72012/19/12 at 5:13am
Hey guys , I think I wanna Mod my M50 to be detachable cables .So, all i need is these things right :-
# Solder / Solder Sucker / Solder Welding 30W / small screw driver
Is there any particular type of any item above that i need to know?
By the way , I'm not sure about the chassis and the cable that would replace its original ones (preferably coiled ) ! So, can suggest or give me link ?
How did you guys cut the hole for the chassis and stripping the wire?
# I live in Malaysia .So , most product wont be available in my country and one more thing , I'm only 15 and I need guidance for modding my M50!
Edited by MiyuuKun - 12/19/12 at 5:15ampost #224 of 72012/20/12 at 11:51amReturn Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 12 seconds ago
- › Jual K/i/t/c/h/e/n Set Minimalis Murah 15 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 20 seconds ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 1 minute ago
- › Good speakers for listening to music at work 1 minute ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STX II 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)