I never had problems with enamel when doing this. I used wire strippers to remove the black sheath and then the black, red and green sheath for each of the wires. Then I tinned each wire using silver electronics-grade solder (after my thicker generic solder wouldn't stick) and tested by touching the leads on the jack and got audio without a problem. Maybe the problem is the solder.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 6896/19/12 at 7:09pmpost #153 of 6896/25/12 at 6:51pm
Did anyone send theirs to the Sound Professionals that the dude earlier was advertising for? Reviews?
Worth 40? I'm nervous as hell....
Oh, what are you guys using to secure the chassis inside of the cup? Hot Glue? Silicon?
Hows that looking.... cosmetically? Anyone got any closeups?post #154 of 6896/26/12 at 6:54ampost #155 of 6897/6/12 at 10:55pm
is that the original cable? how did you fixed it to have a male plug on the cutted side? sorry for asking a noob question.. will try to do this after i get my m50's ... if you can, can you also post pics of it?post #156 of 6897/6/12 at 11:11pmpost #157 of 6897/7/12 at 12:22pmQuote:
You have to buy a male plug and solder it on.post #158 of 6897/7/12 at 11:41pmpost #159 of 6897/8/12 at 1:09ampost #160 of 6897/8/12 at 1:50am
What's it matter? You can replace the cable at that point. If you are interested, I am selling mine for $140 with a Mic'ed/Control cable, and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 Velour pads: http://www.head-fi.org/t/617290/modded-ath-m50s-use-with-iphone-velour-dt250-padspost #161 of 6897/8/12 at 11:19ampost #162 of 6897/8/12 at 12:18pmpost #163 of 6897/8/12 at 11:35pm
alo guys, i have some questions to ask, I'm gonna send my m50 to a guy that does all these service and stuff..
and he says he will be installing this inside the headphone
and this male plug for the m50 stock cable.(so that i can use the stock cable again! :D)\
what do you think of the jacks he mentioned??
thankspost #164 of 6897/10/12 at 2:24am
The socket just looks so large ;D. And about the male plug - i prefer Neutrik stuff but since i don't know anything about vermouth I'd say give it a shot. It will work I guess ;)
@jadawgis - thanks for pointing that out - but I've seen a few people wanting to get rid of their m50s and I actually just wanna know what's their alternative.post #165 of 6897/10/12 at 11:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by determinedd
It looks like this
Personally, I use this (except the Kobicon brand) and it works great. Never tried the barrel plugged ones, but dont' think I'd want to. Those just look too large to fit in the M50's.Return Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 20 seconds ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 56 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-560 vs. Beyerdynamic T1 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Review: InEar StageDiver Series 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD558 - Price Drop - 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 439 or Audio Technica Ath-m50x 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio E18 4 minutes ago
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)