I never had problems with enamel when doing this. I used wire strippers to remove the black sheath and then the black, red and green sheath for each of the wires. Then I tinned each wire using silver electronics-grade solder (after my thicker generic solder wouldn't stick) and tested by touching the leads on the jack and got audio without a problem. Maybe the problem is the solder.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 7086/19/12 at 7:09pmpost #153 of 7086/25/12 at 6:51pm
Did anyone send theirs to the Sound Professionals that the dude earlier was advertising for? Reviews?
Worth 40? I'm nervous as hell....
Oh, what are you guys using to secure the chassis inside of the cup? Hot Glue? Silicon?
Hows that looking.... cosmetically? Anyone got any closeups?post #154 of 7086/26/12 at 6:54ampost #155 of 7087/6/12 at 10:55pm
is that the original cable? how did you fixed it to have a male plug on the cutted side? sorry for asking a noob question.. will try to do this after i get my m50's ... if you can, can you also post pics of it?post #156 of 7087/6/12 at 11:11pmpost #157 of 7087/7/12 at 12:22pmQuote:
You have to buy a male plug and solder it on.post #158 of 7087/7/12 at 11:41pmpost #159 of 7087/8/12 at 1:09ampost #160 of 7087/8/12 at 1:50am
What's it matter? You can replace the cable at that point. If you are interested, I am selling mine for $140 with a Mic'ed/Control cable, and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 Velour pads: http://www.head-fi.org/t/617290/modded-ath-m50s-use-with-iphone-velour-dt250-padspost #161 of 7087/8/12 at 11:19ampost #162 of 7087/8/12 at 12:18pmpost #163 of 7087/8/12 at 11:35pm
alo guys, i have some questions to ask, I'm gonna send my m50 to a guy that does all these service and stuff..
and he says he will be installing this inside the headphone
and this male plug for the m50 stock cable.(so that i can use the stock cable again! :D)\
what do you think of the jacks he mentioned??
thankspost #164 of 7087/10/12 at 2:24am
The socket just looks so large ;D. And about the male plug - i prefer Neutrik stuff but since i don't know anything about vermouth I'd say give it a shot. It will work I guess ;)
@jadawgis - thanks for pointing that out - but I've seen a few people wanting to get rid of their m50s and I actually just wanna know what's their alternative.post #165 of 7087/10/12 at 11:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by determinedd
It looks like this
Personally, I use this (except the Kobicon brand) and it works great. Never tried the barrel plugged ones, but dont' think I'd want to. Those just look too large to fit in the M50's.Return Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Multi-IEM Review - 321 IEMs compared (NarMoo S1 added 09/04/14 p. 966) 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › A Stack O' Schiit 3 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kerns AK100 MK2 (3 ohm output) /w $200 worth of hirez albums 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 4 minutes ago
- › A Stack O' Schiit 4 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 4 minutes ago
- › THE ACOUSTIC MUSIC THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › Best IEM for Trance -2014 edition -Now keeping track in the OP! 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K601 & K612 Pro Owners... UNITE!! 4 minutes ago
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)