I never had problems with enamel when doing this. I used wire strippers to remove the black sheath and then the black, red and green sheath for each of the wires. Then I tinned each wire using silver electronics-grade solder (after my thicker generic solder wouldn't stick) and tested by touching the leads on the jack and got audio without a problem. Maybe the problem is the solder.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/30/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/30/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/30/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
Hi End Cables
Last edited: 1/8/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/29/16
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 3/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Introduction: From the company that brought you the N5 and N6 sources comes the Cayin i5. The i5 is their entry into the very competitve mid priced DAP market. Cayin also has other lines of...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 11
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 7976/19/12 at 7:09pmpost #153 of 7976/25/12 at 6:51pm
Did anyone send theirs to the Sound Professionals that the dude earlier was advertising for? Reviews?
Worth 40? I'm nervous as hell....
Oh, what are you guys using to secure the chassis inside of the cup? Hot Glue? Silicon?
Hows that looking.... cosmetically? Anyone got any closeups?post #154 of 7976/26/12 at 6:54ampost #155 of 7977/6/12 at 10:55pm
is that the original cable? how did you fixed it to have a male plug on the cutted side? sorry for asking a noob question.. will try to do this after i get my m50's ... if you can, can you also post pics of it?post #156 of 7977/6/12 at 11:11pmpost #157 of 7977/7/12 at 12:22pmQuote:
You have to buy a male plug and solder it on.post #158 of 7977/7/12 at 11:41pmpost #159 of 7977/8/12 at 1:09ampost #160 of 7977/8/12 at 1:50am
What's it matter? You can replace the cable at that point. If you are interested, I am selling mine for $140 with a Mic'ed/Control cable, and a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250 Velour pads: http://www.head-fi.org/t/617290/modded-ath-m50s-use-with-iphone-velour-dt250-padspost #161 of 7977/8/12 at 11:19ampost #162 of 7977/8/12 at 12:18pmpost #163 of 7977/8/12 at 11:35pm
alo guys, i have some questions to ask, I'm gonna send my m50 to a guy that does all these service and stuff..
and he says he will be installing this inside the headphone
and this male plug for the m50 stock cable.(so that i can use the stock cable again! :D)\
what do you think of the jacks he mentioned??
thankspost #164 of 7977/10/12 at 2:24am
The socket just looks so large ;D. And about the male plug - i prefer Neutrik stuff but since i don't know anything about vermouth I'd say give it a shot. It will work I guess ;)
@jadawgis - thanks for pointing that out - but I've seen a few people wanting to get rid of their m50s and I actually just wanna know what's their alternative.post #165 of 7977/10/12 at 11:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by determinedd
It looks like this
Personally, I use this (except the Kobicon brand) and it works great. Never tried the barrel plugged ones, but dont' think I'd want to. Those just look too large to fit in the M50's.Return Home
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY 29 seconds ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 1 minute ago
- › Hidizs AP60 1 minute ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › The DIY'rs Cookbook 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 4 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 6 minutes ago
- › Absolute best budget earbuds? 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear