Thanks for the reply! it really helped! But i'm still confused ( that might be because i'm only 13 ) do you think i should just go to an electrician and pay them to do it? and how much do you think it's going to cost?
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAiaiaitagged by System, 5/31/12
- productAKG K518DJtagged by System, 5/31/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 5/31/12
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 3/8/13
- categoryCablestagged by System, 5/31/12
- categoryHeadphone Cablestagged by System, 5/31/12
Related Forum Threads
- Selling my limited edition ATH-M50's w/ Detachable cable mod *only a week old* Last post on 12/19/12 at 11:48pm in Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
- ATH-M50 needs Replacement Cables - Anyone in Bellingham? Last post on 1/6/12 at 2:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH-M50 Coiled or Straight Cable? Last post on 10/11/11 at 5:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shure 750DJ (180$) vs ATH-M50 (238$) Last post on 9/12/11 at 12:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Question about Audio-Technica ATH M50 Last post on 8/29/11 at 11:57am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- DIY Cable Info and ResourcesLast edited: 10/2/13
Introduction - The HD 518's are the starter model in the Sennheiser's audiophile range. They are really VFM and a good starter audiophile headphone for people who are looking into going the...
I got these on a pawn shop deal, and wanted some cheap headphones that could deliver for what I was looking for. An all-arounder that provided clarity, good bass, nice treble, and handled all...
Introduction: I still don't know why I keep buying headphones, really! I thought I was done but no, headphones like this one have to pop up on my radar and I'm weak enough that I have to buy...
Comparing these to my Philips L1 and my Beyer T1 they have a lot more mid-bass through midrange and are slightly tilted toward the high. They sound great but quite a bit different sound signature...
DISCLAIMER This review is based on the demo set at Jaben Singapore, which I have demoed extensively no less than 3 times. Though fit is pretty good, but as perfect fit is not achieved, I shall...
ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod - Page 8
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #107 of 4564/6/12 at 3:24amYes, that or have your parents help. Still, at 13 nothing was going to stop me from opening things up to see how they work. So take it from me, if you don't want to experience the feeling of knowing you just ruined your awesome, brand new, $150 headphones do not do it yourself.
Edited by jadawgis732 - 4/6/12 at 3:27ampost #108 of 4564/6/12 at 3:49ampost #109 of 4564/6/12 at 3:50ampost #110 of 4564/6/12 at 3:56ampost #111 of 4564/6/12 at 3:45pmpost #112 of 4564/6/12 at 3:47pmpost #113 of 4564/7/12 at 10:37amQuote:
Reading is fundamental...to doing this mod! You should buy a cheap pair of over-the-ear headphones and try it. It's fun and you can do it!
Edited by determinedd - 4/7/12 at 10:41ampost #114 of 4564/7/12 at 11:02ampost #115 of 4564/7/12 at 11:13am
and i got lost at part 5 and there forth
what wire is to be cut or do i have to cut all of them?post #116 of 4564/12/12 at 1:45am
Can someone help me out, I have attempted this mod and now I'm not hearing anything in my headphones. Im using the chassis http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103452&clickid=prod_cs
my interconnect cable works, so im guessing it has to do with what i did to the headphones. If other picutes are needed or more information is need, I'll try the best I can. Hopefully its not that bad, I can't afford to buy another pair, still a highschool student...well Thanks in advance.post #117 of 4564/12/12 at 11:53am
Did you verify you could hear audio before you soldered the wires? Based on the chassis design, I am led to assume the green (left audio) and black (ground) are reversed. You could simply desolder and test again. I left an audio source plugged in as I modded to make sure everything was still working. HTH.post #118 of 4564/12/12 at 2:02pmpost #119 of 4564/12/12 at 6:04pm
I think there was still enamel on the wires, but I was able to get the solder on. I just finished it mod. The problem was the red and green wires on the back of the left headphone speaker was disconnecting. So i just needed to strip it a bit and resolder it to the back of the headphones. Thanks determinedd and Yoga Flame. but the left headphone sounds kinda less powerful or good as before, but maybe im just crazy, Imma have my brother and my friends try them since they have better hearing. Well thanks for the help and the guides everyone.post #120 of 4564/13/12 at 10:06pm
For the replacement cable, if i get a cheap cable on ebay such as this one :
will there be a noticeable difference in sound quality or not.
- ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) just now
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 22 seconds ago
- › Introduction 28 seconds ago
- › Need help finding a well rounded headphone set for my Gym use. <50... 33 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 1 minute ago
- › FiiO e5 or FiiO e6 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review) 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535 - clicking sound with a cable ??? :/ 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 304 IEMs compared (Clear Tune Monitors WLS-5... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by groovyd
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Joe-Siow
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by kingpage
- › Sony NWZ-A818 8GB by stuartfang
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by adevriesc
- › Samson SR950 by adevriesc
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by adevriesc
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe