Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives) - Page 35

post #511 of 746

Hi all,

 

I've read the entire thread and I'm a bit confused on something.  If I use BitPerfect (and I did buy it from the app store) and have no up sampling, and do not output in maximum depth, what is the app doing to improve the sound quality?

 

Also, I'm getting about a second delay between tracks playing in a gapless album - is this normal for BitPerfect?

 

Thanks

post #512 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoyle777 View Post

Hi all,

 

I've read the entire thread and I'm a bit confused on something.  If I use BitPerfect (and I did buy it from the app store) and have no up sampling, and do not output in maximum depth, what is the app doing to improve the sound quality?

 

Also, I'm getting about a second delay between tracks playing in a gapless album - is this normal for BitPerfect?

 

Thanks


I believe there is a slight improvement due to memory playback and hog mode.  Also there shouldn't be any gaps.   Removing scripts and plugins fixed this for me.  I'm sure the developer will probably chime in to get gapless working for you.

 

post #513 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoyle777 View Post

Hi all,

 

I've read the entire thread and I'm a bit confused on something.  If I use BitPerfect (and I did buy it from the app store) and have no up sampling, and do not output in maximum depth, what is the app doing to improve the sound quality?

 

Also, I'm getting about a second delay between tracks playing in a gapless album - is this normal for BitPerfect?

 

Thanks


There are some other, less obvious things BitPerfect (and other players) optimize. If it was a simple as automatic sample rate switching, then there would be no difference between BitPerfect and iTunes (and I'd argue there is).

 

As for the delay, can you send me the output of the Console log via PM or e-mail and I'll try and debug it.

post #514 of 746

 

Does BitPerfect actually improve sound quality, or is it's percieved effect just subjective delusion?
 
I did a blind A/B test (I don't know which source A or B is when listening) with the following set up:
A/B switch between:
    MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo (late 2007) - OS X 10.7.2 - headphone out
    iPhone 4S
with:
    Volume balanced to pink noise - with SPL meter app
    Sennheiser HD 558
    Playing the same songs in exact sync (e.g. a complicated mix like Jen Trynin, Getaway) 
 
There was zero perceptible difference between the iPhone 4S and MPB running BitPerfect  (I have pretty good ears and istening skills).  And - by the way - no perceptible difference between MPB and iPhone outputs.
 
I tried the same setup running the MBP through Total Bithead DAC; while the DAC sounds very slightly different than the headphone out, again no difference with or without BitPerfect running (as compared to the iPhone 4s output).
 
Could BitPerfect make a perceptible improvement in a different setup?  Perhaps.  But my guess is that what most people are hearing as sound improvement is just the placebo effect. 
post #515 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadZound View Post

Could BitPerfect make a perceptible improvement in a different setup?  Perhaps.  But my guess is that what most people are hearing as sound improvement is just the placebo effect. 


Might be your headphone. Not sure about that. But I will agree that the difference brought about by BitPerfect is not that big.

 

I know I can't hear a different between iPod+CLAS+Stepdance VS iPod HPA when I am using the iPod earbud.

post #516 of 746

Hi!

 

Am I the only person who has the repeating issue (on every 10th song or so) that Bitperfect plays a few seconds and then starts again from a few seconds before?

 

I only have this since updating to the new 10.5.1 version of iTunes on a 64 bit Intel Mac....

 

Please help, thanks,

 

post #517 of 746
Thread Starter 

I've had a couple of reports of this issue (playing a few seconds, or repeating bits of a track). I don't think it is specific to iTunes 10.5.1, but I will look into that.

post #518 of 746

cool thanks!

 

The only thing that changed is my iTunes, hardware and tracks are the same. At home with my icon HDP via optical and usb I have problems too, weird.

post #519 of 746

I could hear a clear difference using headphones with the headphone out using iTunes. Using a 256kbps jazz album in iTunes. Stereo separation was better and a general perceived space between instruments. 

 

These differences become more clear if you use a higher end async USB DAC or firewire. 

 

I'm amazed you found no differences by the  headphones and the iphone dacs but maybe they are that close. My android phone is terrible but my iPad is better, though. 

 

Software authors tend to be secretive about what they do which I don't like. In theory, these players have a very simple task but as in anything audiophile related, voodoo is the course du jour...

 

For $5 I bit the bullet and tried it. It does improve the sound for me, otherwise I would be complaining :)

 

b

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadZound View Post

 

Does BitPerfect actually improve sound quality, or is it's percieved effect just subjective delusion?
 
I did a blind A/B test (I don't know which source A or B is when listening) with the following set up:
A/B switch between:
    MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo (late 2007) - OS X 10.7.2 - headphone out
    iPhone 4S
with:
    Volume balanced to pink noise - with SPL meter app
    Sennheiser HD 558
    Playing the same songs in exact sync (e.g. a complicated mix like Jen Trynin, Getaway) 
 
There was zero perceptible difference between the iPhone 4S and MPB running BitPerfect  (I have pretty good ears and istening skills).  And - by the way - no perceptible difference between MPB and iPhone outputs.
 
I tried the same setup running the MBP through Total Bithead DAC; while the DAC sounds very slightly different than the headphone out, again no difference with or without BitPerfect running (as compared to the iPhone 4s output).
 
Could BitPerfect make a perceptible improvement in a different setup?  Perhaps.  But my guess is that what most people are hearing as sound improvement is just the placebo effect. 


 

post #520 of 746

Hey there,

 

I'm sorry I didn't read all the posts that came beforehand, and I am interested in BitPerfect, but I have some questions first.

 

First of all: I discovered BitPerfect by searching for an alternative for Audirvana Plus, with it being too expensive in my opinion.

I am using the trial version of Audirvana Plus and like the following points about it:

 

- iTunes integration (very important)

- Hog-Mode

- Upsampling

 

In comparison to the Plus version, the freeware Audirvana is slower, not as comfortable and customizable.

 

Now the big "BUT": One of the review on the (German) App Store states that it alters the frequency response by exaggerating the highs, broadening the stereophonic sound and lowering the fundamental frequencies, making it more of an enhancer-plugin than an audiophile, "bit perfect" player. The author also stated that you didn't respond to his questions / concern.

 

Since I cannot try the app before buying I wanted to ask you, as the developer, what there is to the review in the App Store?

post #521 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Now the big "BUT": One of the review on the (German) App Store states that it alters the frequency response by exaggerating the highs, broadening the stereophonic sound and lowering the fundamental frequencies, making it more of an enhancer-plugin than an audiophile, "bit perfect" player. The author also stated that you didn't respond to his questions / concern.

 

Since I cannot try the app before buying I wanted to ask you, as the developer, what there is to the review in the App Store?


BitPerfect most certainly does not do equalizer effects. If you keep volume in iTunes at 100% and disable upsampling Bitperfect is bit perfect.

As for whether I responded to his questions, it is possible I missed an e-mail. I do try to respond to all of them ASAP, and keep an eye on various forums, but inevitably some comments will get past me. I'd like to think that in general I catch the vast majority of questions and answer them pretty promptly.

post #522 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsim View Post


BitPerfect most certainly does not do equalizer effects. If you keep volume in iTunes at 100% and disable upsampling Bitperfect is bit perfect.

As for whether I responded to his questions, it is possible I missed an e-mail. I do try to respond to all of them ASAP, and keep an eye on various forums, but inevitably some comments will get past me. I'd like to think that in general I catch the vast majority of questions and answer them pretty promptly.


Thank you for the quick reply. I did not mean to offend you, I just recited what the author in the review said since I couldn't check it out myself. I think you got yourself one more customer :-)

 

post #523 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikae View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsim View Post


BitPerfect most certainly does not do equalizer effects. If you keep volume in iTunes at 100% and disable upsampling Bitperfect is bit perfect.

As for whether I responded to his questions, it is possible I missed an e-mail. I do try to respond to all of them ASAP, and keep an eye on various forums, but inevitably some comments will get past me. I'd like to think that in general I catch the vast majority of questions and answer them pretty promptly.


Thank you for the quick reply. I did not mean to offend you, I just recited what the author in the review said since I couldn't check it out myself. I think you got yourself one more customer :-)

 


No offense taken, thanks for the purchase :)

Let me know what you think or if you run into any trouble.

post #524 of 746

Hey there, regarding your last comment and after a few days of testing:

 

I like your app a lot, though it has its flaws. I prefer the sleek statusbar icon over Audirvana's dock icon. BitPerfect crashes sometimes and takes iTunes with it, especially when switching between e.g. Audirvana and BitPerfect, though it's not too bad. The "sound check" in BitPerfect is much louder than the one in iTunes. I don't really use it, but I would like to know why. I also have the random 3-seconds-play-then-song-starts-anew-glitch, but it's rare. What bothers me the most is that I cannot use upsampling to 96 kHz. Everytime I force the app to use 96 kHz the music playing begins to stutter. Upsampling to 96 kHz works perfectly fine with Audirvana and Audirvana Plus, with no stuttering at all. I have plenty of RAM (4 GB) and also enough CPU-time so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

post #525 of 746

Is there a version 0.33 in the works? If so what will it include? Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)