Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives) - Page 10

post #136 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwalker View Post



 

OK, I see what's happening.  

 

As I mentioned before, gapless albums now play fine and regular tracks *with another track to follow in the playlist or in the queue* play fine, as well.  It's only when you play a single track or the last track in a playlist / album that the problem is seen.  I have "Update Track Position in iTunes" turned on, and at -0:05 seconds, you can see the current track stop tracking and it skips to the next track, but the current track continues playing (like the sound is buffered and BitPerfect is reading ahead but continuing to play the current track).  If you're on the last track of an album / playlist, however, tracking still stops at -0:05 but the sounds stops, too  :/  So any content recorded in the last 5 seconds of the track just disappears, e.g., echo / fade, "ambiance" or even music, if it runs into the last 5 seconds of the track.  This does *not* happen in iTunes with BitPerfect turned off (iTunes 10.3.1).

 

I can also confirm BitPerfect sometimes loses track of the current output device.  I have a USB DAC / headphone amp I sometimes use with my MacBook Pro.  Sometimes, the sound will stop coming out of the DAC and begin coming out of the internal speakers.  If I look at the preferences, I see it's switched to "Built-In Output".


 

 



Thanks for doing those extra tests, that's making more sense, I'm pretty sure I know where the problem is now with the tracks getting cut off. As for losing track of the output device, that's a new one, I'm really not sure what's going on there.confused.gif

post #137 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougofTheAbaci View Post

I'd say wait on the App Store for now. I mean, you're still getting bug reports. I'd give it a week of no reports with the current feature-set before you put it into the store. I guarantee people are going to throw bugs up once you do and you want to keep that to a minimum. Plus, if there are a couple glaring outstanding bugs then you're likely to get a number of bad reviews. Which would suck.


Yep... I thought I had all the outstanding problems licked... oh well smile.gif

post #138 of 746

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsim View Post

Yep... I thought I had all the outstanding problems licked... oh well smile.gif



Though, one thing you might want to do from now on is add an expiration to each release. Say, set a simple test that's one-month in the future and have the program send a dialogue box that alerts the user it's time to upgrade to a new version as this one has expired. That way when it comes time to put this in the app store you don't have people running around with stable versions and thinking, "Why pay?"

 

It's what Reeder did for a while before they went full release. It would also allow you to open this up to a much wider community.

post #139 of 746

so i guess it's not going to be a free app, huh? :-)

well...that's totally fine. just wish it won't be too expensive. It is suppose to be an Audirvana Alternative as indicated by the topic of this thread. ;-)

post #140 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougofTheAbaci View Post

 

Though, one thing you might want to do from now on is add an expiration to each release. Say, set a simple test that's one-month in the future and have the program send a dialogue box that alerts the user it's time to upgrade to a new version as this one has expired. That way when it comes time to put this in the app store you don't have people running around with stable versions and thinking, "Why pay?"

 

It's what Reeder did for a while before they went full release. It would also allow you to open this up to a much wider community.


Not a bad idea, but I really want to avoid the extra work adding these kinds of tests. Yes I'm that lazy :).

Also, and I'm setting myself up for disappointment here, but I think BitPerfect is really close to primetime.

post #141 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post

so i guess it's not going to be a free app, huh? :-)

well...that's totally fine. just wish it won't be too expensive. It is suppose to be an Audirvana Alternative as indicated by the topic of this thread. ;-)


It won't be free, but it will be much less expensive than the other audiophile OSX players, Audirvana excluded, obviously!

 

Yeah, maybe I should change the title of the thread :), am I allowed to?

post #142 of 746

You also might want to start a thread on http://www.computeraudiophile.com/  Opens it up beyond just us headphone listeners.  

post #143 of 746

I noticed another small bug : when I listen to music (playlist of full album), there is no problem. However, when I launch a song and then (after 3-4 secs) I launch another song and so on, I get the color turning wheel and iTunes "not responding". Well, I agree that bitperfect was not designed to quickly explore a library but that it works well to listen to an album or a plying list...

 

I wished to come back to the fact that streamed contents (e.g. samples in the iTunes store or radio streams). If you know that bitperfect does not manage that kind of content, it is ok.You will just "Disable BitPerfect" before playing that kind of content. However, as BitPerfect may be used by persons who may not ditinguish the different kind of contents, or who are not familiar with that kind of manipulation, would it be possible to offer an option which would auto-disable BitPerfect whenever the user launch a content that is not mananged by BitPerfect. This option may even also re-enable bitperfect when a supported file is played...

post #144 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuglopf View Post

I noticed another small bug : when I listen to music (playlist of full album), there is no problem. However, when I launch a song and then (after 3-4 secs) I launch another song and so on, I get the color turning wheel and iTunes "not responding". Well, I agree that bitperfect was not designed to quickly explore a library but that it works well to listen to an album or a plying list...

 

I wished to come back to the fact that streamed contents (e.g. samples in the iTunes store or radio streams). If you know that bitperfect does not manage that kind of content, it is ok.You will just "Disable BitPerfect" before playing that kind of content. However, as BitPerfect may be used by persons who may not ditinguish the different kind of contents, or who are not familiar with that kind of manipulation, would it be possible to offer an option which would auto-disable BitPerfect whenever the user launch a content that is not mananged by BitPerfect. This option may even also re-enable bitperfect when a supported file is played...



Thanks for the bug reports. The second one should definitely be fixed, I thought I had those cases nailed, guess not. As for the first one, I'll have to try that myself, so far I haven't seen the problem, except when playing FLACs. In those cases, the issue appears to be fluke's fault rather than BitPerfect's, but you never know...

post #145 of 746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamoneagain View Post

You also might want to start a thread on http://www.computeraudiophile.com/  Opens it up beyond just us headphone listeners.  


You guys are keeping me plenty busy enough wink.gif. If BitPerfect isn't store ready in a couple of weeks, I'll probably look for more testers, but honestly, I think it's really close now... unless you know something I don't. biggrin.gif

post #146 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuglopf View Post

I noticed another small bug : when I listen to music (playlist of full album), there is no problem. However, when I launch a song and then (after 3-4 secs) I launch another song and so on, I get the color turning wheel and iTunes "not responding". Well, I agree that bitperfect was not designed to quickly explore a library but that it works well to listen to an album or a plying list...

 


I'll have to test this again but never noticed a problem just playing random tracks.  Seemed as stable as iTunes in previous builds.

 

 

Edit: Yeah, no problems in the latest build quickly skipping around to different tracks.


Edited by iamoneagain - 6/28/11 at 7:53pm
post #147 of 746

Latest version, clicking Disable doesn't relinquish audio control. I can't get it to play audio until I've outright quit the app.

post #148 of 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougofTheAbaci View Post

Latest version, clicking Disable doesn't relinquish audio control. I can't get it to play audio until I've outright quit the app.


Even quitting the app doesn't work for me. I have to unplug the DAC and then plug it back in.

post #149 of 746

Same here. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post




Even quitting the app doesn't work for me. I have to unplug the DAC and then plug it back in.



 

post #150 of 746
Thread Starter 

I'm working on this problem now. I think I'm zeroing in on a solution, but it is slow going. On my setup, all of this works perfectly so it is quite difficult to divine potential causes. Nonetheless, I'm hoping to have a new build to address these problems today or tomorrow.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › BitPerfect (was: Audirvana Alternatives)