Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD555 vs SRH840 vs ATH-M50
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD555 vs SRH840 vs ATH-M50

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

which would give me the best performance, to my uses?

music(more then gaming)- from acoustic relaxing music- to dubstep, deathcore, hardstyle and all that...

gaming- FPS, mostly.

at the first, i thought to take the hd555, but i understood he got lack of bass, for dubstep hard style and all that.

now i kinda want the srh840 because i understood that they are the most balanced, but not so comfy.

then i saw the ath-m50, i don't know much about them only that they have kicking bass.

the headphones going connect to: asus xonar STX.

thank you guys!

post #2 of 23

why don't you buy a grado headphone? whatever for rock or gaming is very "geliveble"! i recommend you buy sr325is

post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 

i don't have problem with grado.

but in my country not all the models are possibole. and the models are more expansive.

thnx.

post #4 of 23

I think the SR325is is too bright.  Way too bright.  Sometimes Alessandros are cheaper in the rest of the world.  I really like the SR325is counterpart, the MS2i.  Much more balanced than the SR325is.

 

Out of the others you mentioned:

 

HD555: I like these, but they don't have the soundstaging of the M50.  A little lean on the low end, yes.

 

SRH840: not enough bass.  I really like the mids for these, but the treble is kind of bright IMO.  If they were tilted a little more towards the low end, they'd be a killer headphone.

 

M50: Out of the three choices I like these the best.  Nice and 3-D sounding.  Now for me, the bass is a little, a hair overdone.  But that's easily EQ'ed down to preference.

 

post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 

k so go for the m50? theyll be normal for some gaming to? and they have kicking bass right?

gonna equip it with the STX asus xonar.

the hd555 got better soundstaging then the m50, no?

so actually i now need to chose between the srh840's and the m50's, right?

thank you!

and what's IMO?


Edited by nickta69 - 5/9/11 at 1:26pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickta69 View Post

k so go for the m50? theyll be normal for some gaming to? and they have kicking bass right?

gonna equip it with the STX asus xonar.

the hd555 got better soundstaging then the m50, no?

so actually i now need to chose between the srh840's and the m50's, right?

thank you!

and what's IMO?


The M50 bass is the most out of these three, however note that it is not the most controlled bass ever (it'll sound a bit loose out of the box, and tighten up mostly over the burn-in period).

 

One mod I made a thread about that both increases the bass further, and tightened it so it did not sound wobbly and loose, is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/552701/ath-m50-mod-8694-bass-enhancement-mod-that-causes-some-other-sq-changes-too

 

This simple mod made M50 bass perfect for me - solid thudding bass that is well-controlled, and it opens up the closed-back sound a little as well which is a GREAT bonus if you want to use the headphones for first-person shooters (better sound positioning).

 

post #7 of 23

I can say that if you're doing competitive FPS gaming (or FPS gaming at all, really), the M50's won't work so well. I can't speak to the 840s, since I haven't used them (or read much about them in terms of gaming). Actually, I'd suggest taking a look at Mad Lust Envy's Gaming Headphones thread to see what'd work well for both gaming and music.

post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post

I think the SR325is is too bright.  Way too bright.  Sometimes Alessandros are cheaper in the rest of the world.  I really like the SR325is counterpart, the MS2i.  Much more balanced than the SR325is.

 

Out of the others you mentioned:

 

HD555: I like these, but they don't have the soundstaging of the M50.  A little lean on the low end, yes.

 

SRH840: not enough bass.  I really like the mids for these, but the treble is kind of bright IMO.  If they were tilted a little more towards the low end, they'd be a killer headphone.

 

M50: Out of the three choices I like these the best.  Nice and 3-D sounding.  Now for me, the bass is a little, a hair overdone.  But that's easily EQ'ed down to preference.

 

you just described the shure srh750dj, i found the soundstage on them to be huge, and they are very bassy.
 

 


Edited by bcasey25raptor - 5/9/11 at 7:36pm
post #9 of 23

The M50 is a great all-around can. Open headphones normally have a larger soundstage than closed headphones, but closed headphones have a bigger bass impact. If you're not in competitive gaming, don't worry about which is better for gaming. I tried the ATH-AD700(supposedly the king of FPS headphones) and they weren't that great at gaming IMO(that means in my opinion).

 

Short version: The M50 is great for mostly anything.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickta69 View Post

k so go for the m50? theyll be normal for some gaming to? and they have kicking bass right?

gonna equip it with the STX asus xonar.

the hd555 got better soundstaging then the m50, no?

so actually i now need to chose between the srh840's and the m50's, right?

thank you!

and what's IMO?



 

post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post



you just described the shure srh750dj, i found the soundstage on them to be huge, and they are very bassy.
 

 



Though they have much worse build quality compared to the three options OP listed, which should be taken into consideration.

post #11 of 23

Like the M50, 750DJ also wouldn't work too well for FPS gaming. (Lots of rumbly fun for action or RPG gaming, though!)

post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 

wow guys, so go for the ath m50, for sure? and i am not compatitive gaming.

and the shure srh840, just don't worth it? or it won't fit to my uses?

thank you!

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickta69 View Post

wow guys, so go for the ath m50, for sure? and i am not compatitive gaming.

and the shure srh840, just don't worth it? or it won't fit to my uses?

thank you!


i own the shure srh840 and they are great but the soundstage isn't very large even though its large for a closed can. i recommend open if you need it for gaming. i personally like the flat frequency response of the shure srh840.

 

post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 

what about head phones for about 400$?

DNHP1000 DENON will fir for my use good?

thank you.

post #15 of 23

on your budget srh840..

 

detail and bass..

 

but sound kind of boring as it intended for studio..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD555 vs SRH840 vs ATH-M50