Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Continued sidetrack discussion from "Tiniest Portable amp I can build" - nikongod microtransformer-based impedance step-down box
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Continued sidetrack discussion from "Tiniest Portable amp I can build" - nikongod... - Page 7

post #91 of 102
Thread Starter 
I have not taken mine on a plane. Nikongod has without issue.

Worst case, they don't allow it past security and you have to ship it back. I doubt they could justify all out confiscation. Unless you had gunpowder on your hands when you built it. biggrin.gif
post #92 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

I may try them in the future, but again, I got the feeling that Radio Shack was done selling these (no stock online or jin many stores).

Are you sure about this? I show them currently in stock online as will as in every store within a 50 mile radius of me. Not sure of the quantity at each store, but still available.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103254
post #93 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

I may try them in the future, but again, I got the feeling that Radio Shack was done selling these (no stock online or jin many stores).

Are you sure about this? I show them currently in stock online as will as in every store within a 50 mile radius of me. Not sure of the quantity at each store, but still available.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103254
quote

I am not. I do know that the stock they show online isn't the actual stock, but rather if they carry it. Last week everyone was out of stock, including online, so I just assumed. got mine through security without any issue.
post #94 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

got mine through security without any issue.

Excellent. The skies are safe yet tuneful! biggrin.gif
post #95 of 102

I tried this, It was my first time building something like "this"

 

figured I couldn't mess up too bad with how cheap parts are:

 

[IMG]http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/dragsterlover2/DSCN3885_zps87d28302.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/dragsterlover2/DSCN3888_zpsdfbe5c14.jpg[/IMG]

 

It’s tinny enough that I crammed a little compartment in, to hold the cable….


Edited by hippie - 10/11/12 at 9:10am
post #96 of 102

Very nice work. 

 

Its cool to see others branching out into "unusual designs" Much more cool than more of the same IMO. 

 

I really like the idea of using the vacant space in the tin to hold the cable. I think I will start doing that with my amp - I haven't actually put the battery in in ages. 

post #97 of 102

Thread bump...

 

I want to make one of these to impedance adapt my various 16 ohm IEMs to the headphone out of my macbook pro, but with a catch.  I want to use TIP-RING-RING-SLEEVE connections so I can retain the volume and track select buttons on the headphone cord.  I have a few IEMs and low-Z cans too with these controls on the cord. 

 

Does anyone make a 1/8" panel mount tip-ring-ring-sleeve jack?... the second "ring" would be pass-thru conduction so my IEM controls can communicate with the macbook / iTunes.

post #98 of 102
Subbed for answer to ^
post #99 of 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post

Thread bump...

 

I want to make one of these to impedance adapt my various 16 ohm IEMs to the headphone out of my macbook pro, but with a catch.  I want to use TIP-RING-RING-SLEEVE connections so I can retain the volume and track select buttons on the headphone cord.  I have a few IEMs and low-Z cans too with these controls on the cord. 

 

Does anyone make a 1/8" panel mount tip-ring-ring-sleeve jack?... the second "ring" would be pass-thru conduction so my IEM controls can communicate with the macbook / iTunes.

To get the remote to work you will also need to connect the grounds at both sides of the transformers, rather than isolating the input and output grounds.

This shouldn't affect performance, as this application isn't using transformers for their isolation.


Edited by DingoSmuggler - 3/10/13 at 7:55pm
post #100 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by DingoSmuggler View Post

 

To get the remote to work you will also need to connect the grounds at both sides of the transformers, rather than isolating the input and output grounds.

This shouldn't affect performance, as this application isn't using transformers for their isolation.

By that, you mean I would have to ground (wire jump) the input and output sleeve conductors ?.. thanks

 

Oh, and does anyone even make a panel mount TRRS jack?  I googled it and came up empty.  Plenty of TRRS plugs... not one panel mount jack though.... ????


Edited by kramer5150 - 3/10/13 at 11:03pm
post #101 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post

By that, you mean I would have to ground (wire jump) the input and output sleeve conductors ?.. thanks

Well for an apple headset, the sleeve is the mic, and the 2nd ring is ground. Both will need to be connected through. This is required as the mic output has a small dc bias against it relative to ground, to provide power to the mic, and enables the remote button to work (by shorting out the mic-ground connection).

post #102 of 102

This is a interesting use for the transformer, do the headphones measure better using the transformer vs straight out? If you have to turn the source up twice as loud wont that also increase the noise level or does the noise drop because of the high impedance load?

 

The only time i used this transformer was when i was a kid, i made a phone jack to headphone adapter(i was 10)

Using the rs transformer hooked to the 8ohm speaker out of a amp then to headphones is something i read about a long time ago but haven't tried.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › Continued sidetrack discussion from "Tiniest Portable amp I can build" - nikongod microtransformer-based impedance step-down box