Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot i+ vs Schitt Asgard vs MAD EAR+ HD (Grado compliments)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot i+ vs Schitt Asgard vs MAD EAR+ HD (Grado compliments)

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I recently picked up a LD i+ to try out with my RS2's and I was really impressed with the synergy between the two. I don't recall the effect being this dramatic when I tried pairing with the D10 Cobra. Apparently proper matching can go a long ways for grado's (at least to my ears)smile_phones.gif

 

I've heard the asgard is also a great match for grado phones and wondered if anyone had the opportunity to compare it to the LD i+?  

 

From what I've read I would expect the MAD EAR+ HD to be in a completely different league paired with grado's but I'm curious to know what characteristics make it better than the LD i+ or Asgard. Thanks in advance! 

post #2 of 25

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on this too, I've just got a LDI+ to go with RS1i's and it sounds great.

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 

Its an interesting comparison. Someone must have some thoughts they'd like to addbiggrin.gif  

post #4 of 25

bumpety bump..

 

Me thinks that the Little dot 1+ may be the better amp... and at a fraction of the cost... thats why people are shy coming forward... wink.gif

post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

bumpety bump..

 

Me thinks that the Little dot 1+ may be the better amp... and at a fraction of the cost... thats why people are shy coming forward... wink.gif



Yeah I haven't had first experience with comparing, but I have a hard time believing the asgard would outperform the LDi+.

 

I also have a suspicion that even though the MAD EAR+ HD would sound nicer, I don't think it's going to come close to delivering the same dollar value as the LD i+. Of course I wouldn't dare call this a statement. It's just an idea that came to my mind without any proof.

 

Those with experience better do something quick before the theories in this thread get out of handbiggrin.gif

post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh View Post





Yeah I haven't had first experience with comparing, but I have a hard time believing the asgard would outperform the LDi+.

 

I also have a suspicion that even though the MAD EAR+ HD would sound nicer, I don't think it's going to come close to delivering the same dollar value as the LD i+. Of course I wouldn't dare call this a statement. It's just an idea that came to my mind without any proof.

 

Those with experience better do something quick before the theories in this thread get out of handbiggrin.gif



Quite agree. Infact, since i put the old OPA2107 (highly recommended if you havent tried yet) in the old opamp facility... it is now outperforming my Xcan v3, which is approx 4 times the price! (though obviously only with Grado's) 

 

I also have a niggling feeling (no proof) that both the other amps mentioned, may be... Schitt tongue.gif    

post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 

Nice. I haven't experimented with  different opamps but mine came second hand with the lt1364, which apparently is quite good from what I've read. I've messed around with some tube rolling and right now I'm using the mullard m8100.  I've got some mullard nos CV138 6AM6 tubes on the way and they're supposed to be fantastic. Looking forward to how they compare.

post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh View Post

Nice. I haven't experimented with  different opamps but mine came second hand with the lt1364, which apparently is quite good from what I've read. I've messed around with some tube rolling and right now I'm using the mullard m8100.  I've got some mullard nos CV138 6AM6 tubes on the way and they're supposed to be fantastic. Looking forward to how they compare.



I think the LT364 is very good and has been my favorite up to now, it has a very smooth and natural sound. However I've been using the opa2107 for a couple of days now and it seems to add more body to mids and extra weight to the lower end.  also makes the amp sound a little more "tubey" or perhaps "liquidy" would be a better word.   But of course its all a matter of preference and finding synergy with different tubes. I'm in no hurry to change from the EF91/92's for now. I must say, it's good cheap fun trying out the different combinations though. Enjoy! 

 

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh View Post

 

Those with experience better do something quick before the theories in this thread get out of handbiggrin.gif


OK, I'll take the bait. wink.gif

 

I've owned a lot of amps (from mid-fi to high-dollar), and none of them have paired as well with my RS-1s as the MAD Ear+ HD. I believe it to be as synergistic a combination as one can find in the world of Head-Fi.

 

Whether it's enough of an improvement over the LD amp to warrant the extra cost... well, that's kind of the age-old audiophile question, isn't it?

 

post #10 of 25

Maybe I'm weird, but the LD I+ isn't necessarily the last word with grados. Specifically, the LD I+ seems to overly mellow things out. Probably the best can I've paired my I+ with so far, is actually the SRH840. It always sounds good. Maybe that's the fatigue talking, but I wasn't as impressed with the SR80i out of my I+ as i was out of the Total Bithead. And I've tried some very high end tubes in this amp and still came away less than completely satisfied.

 

However, I think that this amp is probably the first amp most users should buy because of the wide range of configuration. You can almost completely custom tune this amp's character, and it's a good introduction to both op amp and tube rolling, which are really really good skills to have. Unfortunately it's not 100% translate-able as op amps that rule in one amp are really poor in the I+ (LT1364 is a good example). I found that I liked the wider and more mellow sound of the OPA2107, coupled with the bright and fast stock 6JI tubes. The overall effect is wonderful. If you don't have an OPA2107 in your amp yet, go buy one. You might find that it just takes it to a whole 'nother level. It's a whole 15$, but a lot cheaper than a mad ear.


Edited by Aynjell - 5/11/11 at 3:33pm
post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 

Haha looks like I'll be picking up an opamp in the near future.

post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow View Post




OK, I'll take the bait. wink.gif

 

I've owned a lot of amps (from mid-fi to high-dollar), and none of them have paired as well with my RS-1s as the MAD Ear+ HD. I believe it to be as synergistic a combination as one can find in the world of Head-Fi.

 

Whether it's enough of an improvement over the LD amp to warrant the extra cost... well, that's kind of the age-old audiophile question, isn't it?

 


This is what I keep hearing about the RS1/MAD EAR+ HD combo.  Regardless of which has the best bang for the buck, there will likely be a MAD EAR+ HD and RS1 in my possession sometime in the future due to the raving feedback on synergy.  I'm a sucker for grado's to begin withredface.gif

 

And yes, "old-age audiophile" question is a good way to put itbiggrin.gif  I definitely don't expect to draw a definitive conclusion from such a question, but any impressions would make for an interesting read I'm sure.

 

post #13 of 25

I would also add the Graham Slee Novo to the list as well (anyone tried it?), never tried it myself but it supposedly works well with low imp cans and it is often sold as Grado combo . My Grado's always respond well to SS amps, only my personal preference is for warmth and laid- back soundstage that I find only tubes can give you.

 

 

 

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

I would also add the Graham Slee Novo to the list as well (anyone tried it?), never tried it myself but it supposedly works well with low imp cans and it is often sold as Grado combo . My Grado's always respond well to SS amps, only my personal preference is for warmth and laid- back soundstage that I find only tubes can give you.

 

 

 


So far this is also my general feeling towards ss amps paired with grado's.  I tried pairing my old sr325is with a D10 and although there was some benefit, I found the effect was more dramatic with the right tube ampsmile_phones.gif

 


Edited by kjoh - 5/14/11 at 11:18am
post #15 of 25



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoh View Post




So far this is also my general feeling towards ss amps paired with grado's.  I tried pairing my old sr325is with a D10 and although there was some benefit, I found the effect was more dramatic with the right tube ampsmile_phones.gif

 



I think SS amps bring to the forefront what Grado's are best at; detail, energy and great timing.  But as you say, they seem to deliver a more real musical presentation with tubes.

 

 Incidentaly, Ive got a few unopened boxes of tubes that have been delivered.. I think that means I must be happy with what I've got at the mo; opa2107 and EF91's. The EF91's are great with the warm full bodied 2107 as they are very open sounding with extension at both ends, seem to be a good combo!

gs1000.gif

 

   

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot i+ vs Schitt Asgard vs MAD EAR+ HD (Grado compliments)