New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Monster Supertips - BAD Impression

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I went out and bought some monster supertips last night, being that they were 15$ seemed to be reasonable. However, even at that price I feel I have been ripped off...

 

I found the small gel (white) to be the best fit along with the regular sized foams (black)

 

I took off the soft silicone medium tip that was packaged with my IE8's to try out the supertip gels. Not so good, bass disappeared, treble became more significant but sounded less refined, and worst of all; the soundstage seemed to have shrunk...

 

Not a good thing considering these are the tips aimed for audiophiles (according to Monster)...

 

I actually think I enjoyed the foams better, they fit and isolate much better than the gels. The bass  response is better, obviously. But still, I feel the soundstage suffered.

 

I am kind of frustrated that Monster would sell such a mediocre product for 20+$, I honestly find the stock tips from the IE8 better. I was also going to try the supertips with my se215's, but there's no way I would sacrifice the comfort of the olives for these "super"tips.

 

Anyone else have impressions, if anyone has used for more than 30 minutes, you probably have better familiarity with the prodcut... I'd like to see what others have to say about these

 

 

Cheers smily_headphones1.gif

post #2 of 15

This is because foam tips reduce the treble of an iem quite significantly and clearly you like a lot of bass as ie8's with foam tips had far too much bass for me.

I personally thought the super tips were pretty good, I found them very comfortable and they sounded exactly the same as most other silicone tips.

post #3 of 15

I haven't tried the tips but I have had a somewhat negative experience with Monster products. I had a M/M 3.5mm cable but returned it the next day when the cap covering the ends of the extensions slide off revealing a large ugly lump of solder. I think Monster is one of those customer inflated brands like Bose which are "legends in their own mind." Basically they use the philosophy that if they can convince the customer that they make premium stuff that the customer will believe that their items are superior. But I may have some personal bias...wink_face.gif

post #4 of 15

I think they do sell very over priced products but they also sell some decent products like the monster turbine copper's and gold's,

they do also have a lifetime warranty on all there products and will even replace some items even if you break them.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Yes I've heard good things about the coppers and MD, even so, I still find you're paying a portion for the brand when you can prob get them for 30$ cheaper if they were another brand
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccabe View Post

I think they do sell very over priced products but they also sell some decent products like the monster turbine copper's and gold's,

they do also have a lifetime warranty on all there products and will even replace some items even if you break them.



 

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccabe View Post

This is because foam tips reduce the treble of an iem quite significantly and clearly you like a lot of bass as ie8's with foam tips had far too much bass for me.

I personally thought the super tips were pretty good, I found them very comfortable and they sounded exactly the same as most other silicone tips.


 

Hey, I actually find the silicon tips deepen the bass in this case, maybe it's because of the gel? I'm not really a basshead, but I do like having a nice punch, I probably  like having a bit more bass than mids and treble, but I also wanted a nicer treble boost for my IE8's. I'm going to try and use each tip for 2-3 days, get used to them with different types of tracks, and after a few days I'll decide whether gel, foam or stock are better for me.

post #7 of 15

Different experiences with different headphones. I've had great success with the foam supertips with both my TF10s and Turbine Pro Coppers. Only tips for me that maintains a consistent seal for an extended period of time.

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 

Well, after a week of use, I can clearly say that these tips actually worsened soundstage compared to stock soft silicone tips included with the IE8's. I do find them useful for my se215's though, they might not isolate as well as the olives, but treble sounds a bit nicer with the gels on.

 

Overall a bad purchase, i would honestly rather save 5 bucks and simply get a foam and gel pair that fits me, the rest have no use.

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

Well, after a week of use, I can clearly say that these tips actually worsened soundstage compared to stock soft silicone tips included with the IE8's. I do find them useful for my se215's though, they might not isolate as well as the olives, but treble sounds a bit nicer with the gels on.

 

Overall a bad purchase, i would honestly rather save 5 bucks and simply get a foam and gel pair that fits me, the rest have no use.



Well, I think it is possible to only get the kind and size of tip you want.  You just get more of those instead of a whole bunch of them you'll never use...the sampler is just so that you find what you need.

post #10 of 15

I use the s/m foam Supertip and it works pretty well with my IE8i, it gave me way better isolation then the stock silicones and sounded better as well.

post #11 of 15

I too purchased the SuperTip sampler pack for my Turbines and was somewhat disappointed.  My original intention was to purchase something that would stay in my ear while I was at the gym, and in this respect the foam tips work well and I think they're really durable as well, but that's all I can really say for them.  They definitely hurt the sound of the IEMs, both the foam and the gel, plus they hurt my ears if I leave them in for extended amounts of time.  I'm just not a fan.  I recently picked up a sampler of Comply T400's while they were having their father's day sale and I absolutely LOVE those.  They're easier to get a good seal with, they opened up the soundstage, and they really sharpened the overall sound.  I feel like the Complys are probably going to wear out a lot sooner though, but that's a small price to pay considering how much better they are.

post #12 of 15

The super tips actually gave me a lot of bass. I don't use them because they don't fit my ears. The super tips are too fat, even the smallest ones, to do deep insertion so it is not comfortable and falls out of my ear. Since there's gel inside, you can't really force fit it into your ear comfortale (won't compress like foam or regular silicon). 

 

As for selling them at $20, well there are people who buy them at $20 (yourself included) so I can't really blame them. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I went out and bought some monster supertips last night, being that they were 15$ seemed to be reasonable. However, even at that price I feel I have been ripped off...

 

I found the small gel (white) to be the best fit along with the regular sized foams (black)

 

I took off the soft silicone medium tip that was packaged with my IE8's to try out the supertip gels. Not so good, bass disappeared, treble became more significant but sounded less refined, and worst of all; the soundstage seemed to have shrunk...

 

Not a good thing considering these are the tips aimed for audiophiles (according to Monster)...

 

I actually think I enjoyed the foams better, they fit and isolate much better than the gels. The bass  response is better, obviously. But still, I feel the soundstage suffered.

 

I am kind of frustrated that Monster would sell such a mediocre product for 20+$, I honestly find the stock tips from the IE8 better. I was also going to try the supertips with my se215's, but there's no way I would sacrifice the comfort of the olives for these "super"tips.

 

Anyone else have impressions, if anyone has used for more than 30 minutes, you probably have better familiarity with the prodcut... I'd like to see what others have to say about these

 

 

Cheers smily_headphones1.gif



 

post #13 of 15

I thought $20 for a pack of six with the holder wasn't a bad deal. They fit my ear better then the stock ones.

post #14 of 15

Could just be that the Supertips just don't work for your ear size/shape.  Many swear by the Sony Hybrids for TF10s but I can't stand them. To my ear, they reduce bass, slightly dull the very top end, and hurt.  I found that the Monster stock mediums and gel Supertip smalls work best for me.  TEHO when it comes to tips.

 

post #15 of 15

I know this post is nearly a year old but yeah, just bought these supertips today and was dissapointed because the gels and foams sounded really good if jammed into your ears, but they were just too big and only the small eartips worked best for me. Thought stock ones were better. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: