Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Most bass under/around *$150*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most bass under/around *$150* - Page 2

post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 

Alright I'll look into all of those, thankyou for all of the help! Last time I asked the same question and the best answer I got was the Brainwavz M2... this thread looks to be much more successful lol biggrin.gif. I was considering the Turbines from lack of options, but I have also heard of many build quality issues with them, like people getting warranty after warranty with them, so I might lay off on them for now. JVC FX500's seem like a good option from your description Mochan, could you compare them to the Radius DDM or Atrio M5 (if you've heard them)? Those three look to be the best options right now.

 

I found a review on the FX500's, this is what they said...

 

"Bass (11/10)
These have an awesome bass. It is very punchy, fast, deep, and doesn't muddy up the rest of the frequency in the slightest. This is the best bass I ever heard (quantity and quality). Boy is it sweet. Edit: These things are making me sick. I thought I was a true basshead until hearing these things for awhile. These have way too much bass, which is a bad thing (even for a basshead). Trust me that have more bass than what a basshead would want (assuming one listen to them long enough). I'm selling these."

 

Hahaha now that's what I want to hear! These might be the front runner now tongue.gif. Any pair of earphones that can do that is right up my alley.

 

EDIT: Oh, kind of important. Do all of these choices sound good straight out of an iPod? Or will I need to use my Fiio E5 or E11 when I get it?

 



 


Edited by slapshot30 - 5/7/11 at 5:34pm
post #17 of 24

I think most IEMs sound fine out of a DAP. Monster Turbine Coppers are great IEMs, but I'm certain you wouldn't find them bassy enough since they have less bass quantity than the M50 and you got rid of them for that very reason. You might consider the Klipsch S4s as they have "big bass"(IMO) and you can get them from Best Buy. Try them out in the parking lot and if they aren't bassy enough walk right back into the store. lol

post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post

Would you say the Atrio also has 'bigger' bass (sorry I don't know a better way to explain it) than the DDM, or just a much deeper bass?


It is bigger, but not the biggest, just the best I have heard. Bigger is not always the best. You want a bass that is big but at the same time also well textured , fast in attack and decay properly - or else the bass note is going to get smeared all over the place and resolution will be very poor. That's the kind of bass we call muddy. Atrio and DDM both have good bass on both quantity and quality, but Atrio is simply better in both accounts.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrassilious View Post

Cannot believe no one has recommended the MTPC or MTPG. In fact I think someone is selling a pair of MTPGs right now on the forums. For $100 factory refurbed and MSRPed at $400 they are top value. 

Don't know about MTPG, but MRPC has good bass, just isn't a basshead IEM because the mid tends to stick out equally so.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochan View Post

Hippo VB is not a big-bass IEM. If you want big bass from Hippo, get the Boom. I don't really understand why people even recommend the Hippo VB for bassheads.  These are not bass monsters.

 

VB has pretty boomy bass if you used the big bass plate. But once you uses it that way, it becomes much like Boom and offers really muddy bass.
 

 

post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post

I think most IEMs sound fine out of a DAP. Monster Turbine Coppers are great IEMs, but I'm certain you wouldn't find them bassy enough since they have less bass quantity than the M50 and you got rid of them for that very reason. You might consider the Klipsch S4s as they have "big bass"(IMO) and you can get them from Best Buy. Try them out in the parking lot and if they aren't bassy enough walk right back into the store. lol


Thanks, I was considering those and I still kind of am. There is a bundle at jaben for some headphones I want with a hard case, they also come with the S4's which is nice throw in. Along with the S4's, I still want to upgrade my IEMs to the fullest of my budget. I am fairly new to this side of the game so I wasn't sure if nicer IEMs needed good amping like headphones so thank for that.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post




It is bigger, but not the biggest, just the best I have heard. Bigger is not always the best. You want a bass that is big but at the same time also well textured , fast in attack and decay properly - or else the bass note is going to get smeared all over the place and resolution will be very poor. That's the kind of bass we call muddy. Atrio and DDM both have good bass on both quantity and quality, but Atrio is simply better in both accounts.


 

Don't know about MTPG, but MRPC has good bass, just isn't a basshead IEM because the mid tends to stick out equally so.

 

VB has pretty boomy bass if you used the big bass plate. But once you uses it that way, it becomes much like Boom and offers really muddy bass.
 

 


Gotcha, so the Atrio is most likely my best bet. I've read the isolation is superb compared to others. The only issue I have with the Atrios is that they look somewhat cheap and I've read they are pretty big and stick out of the ears a decent length. The DDM's on the other hand look pretty sweet, but I've read they can get uncomfortable with the unique design. Meh, SQ comes before looks. I think I will go with the Atrio's. Thanks for all the help everyone!
 

 

post #20 of 24

For big bass under 150, the original turbines can't be beat I don't think.  Especially when you can get the refurbs for 50 bucks direct from Monster.  Go that way...seriously.  I've got Coppers as well and I actually prefer the originals coming straight out of a 4G iPod Touch...now if I amp, or use my Zune HD, the Coppers are a better choice.

post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 

I just picked up the Atrio M5 from buy.com for $140. The Radius DDM would've been my second choice. I decided to hold off on the Turbines simply because of the risk of them breaking. Amazon reviews are marred with people complaining about them breaking and being fragile. I might go with the refurbs later on though. Would you say the coppers or originals have more bass dbdynsty25?

post #22 of 24

I have the Radius HP-TWF21 (the more expensive version to it's sibling), and the bass is definitely there, but not as boomy as it's counterpart, it has more detail and can distinguish notes more precisely in my opinion.

post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post

I just picked up the Atrio M5 from buy.com for $140. The Radius DDM would've been my second choice. I decided to hold off on the Turbines simply because of the risk of them breaking. Amazon reviews are marred with people complaining about them breaking and being fragile. I might go with the refurbs later on though. Would you say the coppers or originals have more bass dbdynsty25?


Originals no doubt.  The Coppers are more balanced overall though.  If I had to just choose one, I'd stick with the originals as they are a little more fun overall to listen to.  The bass is just so enjoyable when listening to hip hop which I do about 90% of the time.

post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help guys. These Atrio's are awesome with great bass. They sound great just out of my iPod, for some reason the bass boost EQ setting on the iPod does not distort when turned on. They can even handle the added bass out of my ZO amp! Very happy with this purchase.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Most bass under/around *$150*