Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Need a pair of closed ear headphones - $60-70 Last post on 1/9/12 at 3:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ATH M50 vs ATH EWS9A vsSENN 280pro vs gradosr80/allisandro ms1 Last post on 10/1/11 at 10:20am in Headphones (full-size)
- Whats the difference between sr60i and 80i? Last post on 9/2/11 at 1:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need serious input from true audiophiles... Last post on 8/12/11 at 4:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best headphones to buy? Last post on 8/1/11 at 7:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
How do you afford list - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 1125/10/11 at 4:45am
In reality, some people just have the means to do it. I do it for fun, so I don't have anything that costs more then 200 USD. However, I'm 17 and I work at a mom and pop store for spending money. It also helps being this young that I don't have much of a social life (my closest friends are all too busy to visit or even chat unless we use something like skype or AIM) and my parents are willing to subsidize my food costs..or else I would long ago be under.
Others may have 20 or so years worth of audio under their belt because they started small. We may also have 60-70 year old people who actually have nothing to expect for the rest of their lives get into this hobby. It all depends on when you start. If you start young, start small, keep what you like, sell what you don't like. Just, once you've found what you like, keep it. It'll serve you well for long. It's the same idea with some other things.
I'm actually using a hand-me-down laptop from 2002. It works fine for all the applications and work I do. Even though better and more advanced technology has already arrived, I'm still content using my laptop. It's because it does what I need to. Nothing more, Nothing less.
Back on topic
It also depends on what else your priorities are. If you have 3 kids, in debt, living on government loans, subsidized housing, and have an unused 5k USD amp in your garage, then it's better to be ready to let go of the kids or the amp to make sure that you have a future (no contest there.)..
That's about all I can think of.post #33 of 1125/10/11 at 5:06ampost #34 of 1125/10/11 at 8:22amThread Starterpost #35 of 1125/10/11 at 9:15ampost #36 of 1125/10/11 at 1:40pm
Well, my financial situation has been pretty interesting throughout my whole life.
I actually went on a time-traveling adventure in a highly modified Delorean DMC-12 to the year 2015 where I acquired a copy of a sports almanac containing the outcomes of 50 years worth of sporting events before returning to 1985 and becoming a professional gambler. While betting on the 1993 Kentucky Derby at Ceasers Palace, I was framed by the owners of the the Bellagio, The Mirage, and the MGM Grand. I served four years in federal prison and plotted my revenge the whole time. When I got out, I assembled a team of 10 others and pulled off the biggest heist in the history of Las Vegas (which involved pulling a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethros and a Leon Spinks, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever), and walked away with $150 million. This is when I bought most of my audio equipment, which I refuse to sell (except for other gear) because of sentimental reasons. Any way, through poor investments (AOL, Lycos and Enron), I ended up moving back in with my parents in West Philadelphia, spending most of my days on the playground just chilling out, maxin', relaxin' all cool, when a couple of guys, they were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighbourhood. Well, I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-air".
I live there now and work for a telemarketing agency.
Edited by unchain - 5/10/11 at 1:42pmpost #37 of 1125/10/11 at 1:47pmpost #38 of 1125/10/11 at 3:11pmpost #39 of 1125/10/11 at 3:25pm
Software Engineer, my wife is an elementary school teacher... we have two boys (a 2 year old and a 7 week old). I split the small amount of extra money we have between several hobbies. I don't tend to buy a lot, and tend to buy things I know I'll use for extended periods of time and also stuff that doesn't lose value very quickly (in the case of my HF-1 and HF2 GAIN value).
Most people on here build up by selling something and buying something better with some extra money. Sure some just buy stuff constantly, but I'd say most are fairly strategic about it. Buy something at $100, sell it, move up to $200, sell it, etc. Before you know it you've tried 10 different sets of headphones and have something that costs a grand 5 years later :).post #40 of 1125/10/11 at 3:41pmThread Starterpost #41 of 1125/10/11 at 9:35pmpost #42 of 1125/10/11 at 10:17pmpost #43 of 1125/10/11 at 11:15pmpost #44 of 1125/10/11 at 11:23pmQuote:
I know right. Card-counting FTWpost #45 of 1125/11/11 at 12:04am
- How do you afford list
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The Ear Pads Thread 1 minute ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Rose (弱水) Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable 6 minutes ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 7 minutes ago
- › Takstar Pro 80 are too quiet [HELP] 8 minutes ago
- › ifI iCan Pro - Upcoming Dedicated headphone amp release. 9 minutes ago
- › DQSM IEM Impressions / Easy Earphones Impressions 9 minutes ago
- › Alpha & Delta D2 Impressions 9 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by avocadobeats123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...