Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Sunrise Xcited and Xcape Impressive Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Sunrise Xcited and Xcape Impressive Edition - Page 6

post #76 of 258

I still have no idea on which one of the Sunrire's IEM I should get or go for RE-0. I only listen to these genre's: metal, rock, dubstep, trance. I prefer the 'heavy' bass sound. I also hate microphonic sound and wearing them over the ear. Which brings me to the IE edition (I think), but some are saying that the microphonics on the IE are worse than the V1's. Can you please tell me which one has the lowest microphonic sound when worn down (v1, IE and Xcited)?

 

 

 

post #77 of 258
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioman94 View Post

update: The strangest thing is happening and I'm trying to narrow it down. Occasionally one ear or sometimes both will go quiet and sound dampened while listening. If I take the phones off for a minute or two they go back to normal. It's not the cable or the fit. When this happens I switch ears to make sure and even carefully listen to them without the tips. I thought it might be ear wax but it looks real clean. Just wondering if this happens to anyone else.


Sounds like the voice coil is overheating if it takes some time for them to go dead and then they go back to normal. You probably want to get them replaced.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Faab View Post

I still have no idea on which one of the Sunrire's IEM I should get or go for RE-0. I only listen to these genre's: metal, rock, dubstep, trance. I prefer the 'heavy' bass sound. I also hate microphonic sound and wearing them over the ear. Which brings me to the IE edition (I think), but some are saying that the microphonics on the IE are worse than the V1's. Can you please tell me which one has the lowest microphonic sound when worn down (v1, IE and Xcited)?



Only the Xcape IE even approaches "heavy bass" out of all the Sunrise earphones. If you hate cable noise and can't wear them cord-up I wouldn't buy them, though. Maybe a MEElec CC51 or one of the J-corded Xears models, or even a Phiaton PS 20 - those all have lower cable noise when worn straight down.

post #78 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


 

Only the Xcape IE even approaches "heavy bass" out of all the Sunrise earphones. If you hate cable noise and can't wear them cord-up I wouldn't buy them, though. Maybe a MEElec CC51 or one of the J-corded Xears models, or even a Phiaton PS 20 - those all have lower cable noise when worn straight down.



Well not exactly "heavy bass" but like you reviewd the Xcape, a nice warm sound but with a bit more bass. I usually put trebble to about 50% on my computer with my headphone, so trebble isn't that much of a necessary. I just like a nice warm sound that doesn't sound 'fake', I think I'll like the Sunrise Xcape editions (based on your and other reviews :) ). Does that fit any other criteria in the IEM section other than CC51 and PS20? I really do hate 'loud' cable noise but if it's just a little, it's not bothersome. My sister has the Sennheiser CX300 and I hate the cable noise on that. I also have a headphone/gaming headset with braided cables, which does give cable noise but it doesn't really bother me. (Logitech G35).

So I just want to know, is the cable noise on the Xcape IE really that bad? With what can it be compared with.

 

post #79 of 258
Thread Starter 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Faab View Post

Well not exactly "heavy bass" but like you reviewd the Xcape, a nice warm sound but with a bit more bass. I usually put trebble to about 50% on my computer with my headphone, so trebble isn't that much of a necessary. I just like a nice warm sound that doesn't sound 'fake', I think I'll like the Sunrise Xcape editions (based on your and other reviews :) ). Does that fit any other criteria in the IEM section other than CC51 and PS20? I really do hate 'loud' cable noise but if it's just a little, it's not bothersome. My sister has the Sennheiser CX300 and I hate the cable noise on that. I also have a headphone/gaming headset with braided cables, which does give cable noise but it doesn't really bother me. (Logitech G35).

So I just want to know, is the cable noise on the Xcape IE really that bad? With what can it be compared with.

 



The cable noise on the IE isn't as bad as the CX300 but not as good as the old Xcape or the CC51/PS20/Xears models. The Spider Realvoice may fit your criteria as well though its bass is more Xcape v1 than Xcape IE.

post #80 of 258
For someone coming from the RP-HJE900 (without filters), what would you recommend. I thought the bass and soundstage were near perfect, but I thought it was a bit too dark and it was extremely sibilant. Also It was a bit too sensitive and I heard hiss when nothing was playing. I listen mostly to rock and alternative. I was worried about the high impedance of the RE-0 as I use my smartphone as my source. Also, I don't want the TRRS to TRS adapter on the Re-zero.
post #81 of 258

well its probably not because they will go back to normal even while playing. However I think its the wax guards or whatever its called covering the opening. maybe just cause moisture since its hot here..

 

well im gonna keep the overheating in mind. it is a possibility.


Edited by marioman94 - 8/15/11 at 6:03am
post #82 of 258
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgtechguy View Post

For someone coming from the RP-HJE900 (without filters), what would you recommend. I thought the bass and soundstage were near perfect, but I thought it was a bit too dark and it was extremely sibilant. Also It was a bit too sensitive and I heard hiss when nothing was playing. I listen mostly to rock and alternative. I was worried about the high impedance of the RE-0 as I use my smartphone as my source. Also, I don't want the TRRS to TRS adapter on the Re-zero.


I don' think the RE0, RE-ZERO, or Xcited will have enough bass for you. The Xcape IE might - it's got solid bass and smooth treble with good positioning. Sensitivity is not very high, either. Coming from the HJE900 it might lack a bit of clarity, though, and it won't be any brighter.

post #83 of 258
Thanks, what would you recommend in general?
post #84 of 258
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgtechguy View Post

Thanks, what would you recommend in general?

Not sure anything in the <$100 bracket can match the HJE900 in performance currently. Maybe a refurbished Turbine Pro Copper or something to that effect. There have been some positive comments from past HJE900 owners about the ECCI PR401, too, so maybe those are worth looking into. They have good space and clarity with no piercing treble.

 

post #85 of 258
thanks
post #86 of 258

Just got the Xcape IE in the mail today. Not much bass at all, at least compared to my old NE-7's. Those use to cause vibrations, the IE, not so much. If you're into rap or dance music, I'd stay away from the IE. 

post #87 of 258

hey joker! again nice review

may i ask, which is closer  to the RE0? and how different (the closer one) is,? i mean, is it possible to notice it  w/o listening both together?

also, the same question but with a well-amped (+$100 amp) RE0

thanks

 

post #88 of 258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka View Post

hey joker! again nice review

may i ask, which is closer  to the RE0? and how different (the closer one) is,? i mean, is it possible to notice it  w/o listening both together?

also, the same question but with a well-amped (+$100 amp) RE0

thanks

 



IMO that would be the Xcited but it's not that close. A little more U-shaped than the RE0 and also brighter and with greater left-right separation but has similar thickness, clarity, and detail. I think it would be possible to tell them apart if you've previously heard the RE0 at some point. Even unamped I'd give the nod to the RE0, though, at least when it comes to realism. 

post #89 of 258

thanx

would the Xcited be a good upgrade from the pl50 ? detail ? soundstage? "fun"? or anything else?

post #90 of 258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka View Post

thanx

would the Xcited be a good upgrade from the pl50 ? detail ? soundstage? "fun"? or anything else?


Different sound entirely. Strength of the PL50 is its midrange and the Xcited won't offer that level of smoothness and refinement. Soundstage is bigger and more airy, detail should be a step up as well. I find more v-shaped sound like that of the Xcited reasonably "fun" but not in the sense Xears earphones or the ECCI PR401 are fun. If you like the sound signature of the PL50 I'd have the IE over the Xcited. If you vastly prefer the RE0 to the Soundmagics, I'd probably take the Xcited.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review: Sunrise Xcited and Xcape Impressive Edition