Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need HELP finding over ear headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need HELP finding over ear headphones!

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, I'm a musician looking for a pair of over ear headphones. My budget is $200-$250. Instrument separation has to be good when the music is simple and also when it gets complex so it makes it a little easier to pick out the parts when practicing. headphones iv'e had in the past were not good at this at all it just sounded muddy. Pretty much looking for something to listen to on my ipod and laptop and for practicing and a little home recording. I posted this earlier but i think i might have put it in the wrong forum?

post #2 of 23

Finding the 701's under 250 new is about impossible if im not mistaken, used u might have a chance.

Second problem with the 701's is that they'll need a nice amp to go with it which will cost around 200-250 by itself.

Theres alot of praise for the shure 840's around, theres some others if you search around. I love my shure 840's for all-rounders.

 

post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 

How s the durability on the 840's? 

post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycee View Post

How s the durability on the 840's? 



i own them and the durability is alright, nothing feels to cheap and the headband is very durable but keep in mind the extender is made of plastic so if your not careful it could snap, they are good headphones and i highly recommend them but which instruments do you play? your a musician so i would assume you would want good mid range, if so these are good. i got mine for $129.99 and if you look around you might find them that cheap also. oh and avoid ebay, get them at an authorized retailer or shure won't honor their warranty, but don't worry if they break, from what i understand shure has an exceptional warranty. good luck.

 

for more information check out my official impressions. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/552507/my-official-shure-srh840-impressions-after-2-months-includes-pictures#post_7450449


Edited by bcasey25raptor - 5/5/11 at 9:28pm
post #5 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post

 

don't worry if they break, from what i understand shure has an exceptional warranty.


Shure has excellent warranty service.  I've sent back my SE530 twice with that stupid cable cracking issue, and both times they've promptly sent me a replacement pair with little to no questioning/interrogation.

post #6 of 23

I own the 840's, doesnt feel at all like it would crack. ive bent out the whole headphones almost flat onto a table and nothing broke. truly legendary shure build quality, dont know what that guy was talking about.

 

also, the instrument separation is really good for me, i can distinctly hear drum cymbals, guitar, bass guitar, all the instruments are separated nicely. not sure how it compares to other headphones, but the separation is twice as good as senn ie8, and the best of my 6 headphones i own. (this isnt to say the k701 separation isnt better, it could easily be much better, i just have never compared so i cant help you on that)

 

+1 for the 840's, you really cant go wrong with them :). It performs really excellently with instrument separation, I love it when I'm listening to music and i can hear all the different instruments clearly without having to pick them out.

post #7 of 23

I used to own 840s, they are built like a tank. Excellent isolation as well.

post #8 of 23

I think your best option are the 840's. They have nice instrument separation and details, acoustic music sounds awesome. 


Edited by charli3 - 5/6/11 at 11:20am
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 

hey, yeah i'm a bass player but there are those very few occasions when i'll switch out and jump on drums or guitar. So most of the time when i get called to play bass then i just get given the tracks and i have to learn them and it just sucks if the song starts getting complex and theres a lot of things going on and the bass gets lost and everything just sounds like it got thrown in the grinder or something. Most of the things i do listen to and play are Punk/Rock/Reggae/R&B/Jazz.

post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycee View Post

hey, yeah i'm a bass player but there are those very few occasions when i'll switch out and jump on drums or guitar. So most of the time when i get called to play bass then i just get given the tracks and i have to learn them and it just sucks if the song starts getting complex and theres a lot of things going on and the bass gets lost and everything just sounds like it got thrown in the grinder or something. Most of the things i do listen to and play are Punk/Rock/Reggae/R&B/Jazz.



again, i think the srh840 would be perfect for you, take it from me who listens to a lot of rock/metal with mine.

post #11 of 23

You can't go wrong with Shures, trust me... I'm a believer. After all the headphones I've owned and heard, the SRH840's and SRH440 with 840 pads are tied for my all time favorite headphones with a slight nod going to the 440/840 pad combo. 

post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 

Thanks! you guys have helped out a bunch! Anybody know any good sites or anything to buy them from or find them at a good price?

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycee View Post

Thanks! you guys have helped out a bunch! Anybody know any good sites or anything to buy them from or find them at a good price?


No problem, welcome to the head-fi family and very soon to the Shure family. I recommend going to a guitar center if you have one near you and having them price match with www.karaokeequipment.com since they usually have the lowest online prices of a "certified" dealer, it's what I've always done. Plus they give an additional 10% off the difference and you don't have to wait for shipping since most Guitar Centers stock plenty of SRH440's and SRH840's. :) 

 

post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycee View Post

Thanks! you guys have helped out a bunch! Anybody know any good sites or anything to buy them from or find them at a good price?


Try the following sites - and either call or email asking for their best price:

 

 

 

 

J&R - http://www.jr.com/

B&H - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Headroom - http://www.headphone.com/

RMC Audio - http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/

 

There will be others - but that's the ones I used.  You have to contact them and ask though - otherwise you get the standard RRP/list price.

 

In the end I bought mine (SRH840) on-line from RMC - $129 delivered CONUS.

post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post




Try the following sites - and either call or email asking for their best price:

 

 

 

J&R - http://www.jr.com/

B&H - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Headroom - http://www.headphone.com/

RMC Audio - http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/

 

There will be others - but that's the ones I used.  You have to contact them and ask though - otherwise you get the standard RRP/list price.

 

In the end I bought mine (SRH840) on-line from RMC - $129 delivered CONUS.


 

 


i got mine for the same price at best buy (futureshop). in canada to, so there is a chance you can get it cheap.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Need HELP finding over ear headphones!