- 8,652 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Annapolis, MO (in the middle of retirement)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productApogee MiniDAC 2 Channel DA Convertertagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLavryBlack DA 10tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLynx Hilotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMetric Halo LIO-8tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Dangerous Music Source DAC Last post on 5/21/14 at 6:50pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread Last post on 7/25/14 at 12:11pm in Dedicated Source Components
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- What headphone DAC/Amps use the ESS Sabre DAC chip? Last post on 10/3/12 at 11:48pm in Dedicated Source Components
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
- Headphone Impedance
Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. - Page 42
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I heard 'Sabre ESS 9018 is the best DAC' from many occasions as well. But read this multi-DAC review:
From this review what I see is that ESS 9018 chip has a critical flaw, which prevents anyone from making a perfect DAC using this chip.
(Hilo ranked #6 on the list, they were using the v5 firmware and USB. From my ears the v6 firmware enhanced the USB performance quite a lot, totally a different DAC. So I would expect Hilo to move up a level or two with the v6, or using AES input instead of USB)
care to point to the killer evidence? - do you mean the 2nd hand reference to "...saw something posted on a Chinese site"?
choose to ignore the Ayre "endorsement"?
is this how "consensus" is constructed on head-fi?
so, I updated my driver and firmware, and installed the remote software. However, I cannot get the remote to control the headphone output's volume - there's no controls to do it, and i thought that was one of the features they demo'd at NAMM.
It plays fine, but I have to manually adjust volume, and the encoder "jumps" a bit some times, i.e., i turn it clockwise and the volume jumps down, then goes up.....
Thanks for the reply. Turns out that I had only updated the firmware for the USB card, not the Hilo itself. Apparently the webroot antivirus software I use on my laptop was blocking the update tot he Hilo itself. Once paused, the update went smoothly, and the firmware updated (took a bit longer than the failed attempts -- go figure!).
Then the only problem was finding that one setting that was keeping the coax spdif input from playing through the headphone jack - I love my Hilo, but the feature-richness sometimes gets in the way of simply using it to listen to music..... It does sound amazing though.
And yes, the phones volume works via the remote, and the quirky knob behavior seems to have fixed itself as well -
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable... 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › The Centrance HiFi M8 thread 2 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 IEM 4 minutes ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Designed. A Teeny-Weeny Update! (page 104) 5 minutes ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 6 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 6 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)