- 8,641 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Annapolis, MO (in the middle of retirement)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productApogee MiniDAC 2 Channel DA Convertertagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLavryBlack DA 10tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLynx Hilotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMetric Halo LIO-8tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Dangerous Music Source DAC Last post on 5/21/14 at 6:50pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread Last post on 7/21/14 at 8:05am in Dedicated Source Components
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- What headphone DAC/Amps use the ESS Sabre DAC chip? Last post on 10/3/12 at 11:48pm in Dedicated Source Components
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Synopsis: The Future Sonics MG5pro is a professional stage monitor for audiophiles. It offers a different tuning than its brother, the fully stage-oriented MG6pro, by offering a brighter, more...
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
- Headphone Impedance
Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. - Page 42
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I heard 'Sabre ESS 9018 is the best DAC' from many occasions as well. But read this multi-DAC review:
From this review what I see is that ESS 9018 chip has a critical flaw, which prevents anyone from making a perfect DAC using this chip.
(Hilo ranked #6 on the list, they were using the v5 firmware and USB. From my ears the v6 firmware enhanced the USB performance quite a lot, totally a different DAC. So I would expect Hilo to move up a level or two with the v6, or using AES input instead of USB)
care to point to the killer evidence? - do you mean the 2nd hand reference to "...saw something posted on a Chinese site"?
choose to ignore the Ayre "endorsement"?
is this how "consensus" is constructed on head-fi?
so, I updated my driver and firmware, and installed the remote software. However, I cannot get the remote to control the headphone output's volume - there's no controls to do it, and i thought that was one of the features they demo'd at NAMM.
It plays fine, but I have to manually adjust volume, and the encoder "jumps" a bit some times, i.e., i turn it clockwise and the volume jumps down, then goes up.....
Thanks for the reply. Turns out that I had only updated the firmware for the USB card, not the Hilo itself. Apparently the webroot antivirus software I use on my laptop was blocking the update tot he Hilo itself. Once paused, the update went smoothly, and the firmware updated (took a bit longer than the failed attempts -- go figure!).
Then the only problem was finding that one setting that was keeping the coax spdif input from playing through the headphone jack - I love my Hilo, but the feature-richness sometimes gets in the way of simply using it to listen to music..... It does sound amazing though.
And yes, the phones volume works via the remote, and the quirky knob behavior seems to have fixed itself as well -
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Music Game IX 22 seconds ago
- › CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread 31 seconds ago
- › THE OSTRY KC06A ! THE GUY WHO SURPRISES WITH SOUND, CLASS,LOOK AND... 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Central Florida Mini Meet Confirmed Sat. July 26, 2014 1 minute ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Can Con 4.5 - Western Sydney Fi-Fest! 5 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 5 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 6 minutes ago
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)