- 8,894 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Annapolis, MO (in the middle of retirement)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productApogee MiniDAC 2 Channel DA Convertertagged by System, 6/13/12
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLavryBlack DA 10tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLynx Hilotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMetric Halo LIO-8tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Dangerous Music Source DAC Last post on 4/11/15 at 5:39pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Alternatives to Audiolab M-DAC? Last post on 4/26/13 at 10:32am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread Last post on 7/8/15 at 5:53am in Dedicated Source Components
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The Blackwood and Cherrywood side by side. Overall view of what this review consisted of. First of all, I’d like to thank Zach for supplying the Omni for this...
Everybody knows Sennheiser. They are doing great job at delivering good sound for all prices. I am doing this review with price factor in thought. First of all it is suprisingly detailed sounding...
Wow. There doesn’t seem to be a more appropriate way to word the beginning of this review, than to simply express my genuine surprise, and indeed – to a certain extent – admiration of the UMi Voix...
I bought the Q Audio French Silk balanced cable for my Audeze LCD-3's mainly because of the ergonomics and cool design/look over the stock cables. When running balanced, I doubted I would hear much...
I got a pair of these new on Amazon about a month and a half ago. I thought they sounded great for a pair of closed on-ears, and were pretty decently comfortable to the point that listening to...
- Headphone Impedance
Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. - Page 35
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Edited by Happy Camper - 12/15/13 at 6:26pm
With AC power, I feel Hilo's bass and mid bass are on the warm side. I wished it can be a bit colder than that.
With battery power, yes, it removed the warmth, becomes more neutral. And the bass becomes punchier because the remove of warmth, the sound becomes cleaner in this region. I didn't hear any changes in the highs.
However battery it lacks the body in bass. Everything lost a bit of realism, sounded a bit too lean, a bit hollow. Can this caused by the battery can't provide enough current to the headphone amp? I don't know.
I like AC better than battery.
Precious is home. Man it sounds good. I'm running RS-1s out of the hp amp while I mod my HE-6s.
I love my precious.
Edited by Happy Camper - 1/9/14 at 7:44pm
If Lynx could incorporate RIAA eq software into the Hilo, in my opinion, that would put if far ahead, in a league of its own. If they could find a way to allow the end-user to manipulate the phono pre-amp eq curve to allow for the various recording curves offered throughout the years for 78 rpm records that would make it very, very desirable to the audiophile and institutions with a varying collection of LPs.
Personally, I would be willing to pay a moderate fee for such an enhancement.as the current offerings for a decent 78 rpm pre-amp are in the $500 to $2000 range.
I don't know how much memory the Lynx might have available to options like this but I can't see this taking up too much additional resources of it's current feature set.
I was extremely surprised recently to hear a $120 amp that I think I might like better (with HD 800) than the headphone amp section of the Hilo: the soon-to-be-released (Jason, dude, yer killin' me!) Schiit Vali.
If you get a chance to drop one on top of your Hilo (it's the same size as the Magni), do give it a listen.
I'm planning to order a Vali as soon as Schiit officially puts it on sale, and after I've had some time with it and the Hilo I will post impressions.
As it turned out, I sold the Vali about six weeks after I got it. It's a fantastic piece of gear--I can't think of anything better for $120. The differences between the Vali and the Hilo's amp section are not subtle; with the Vali you get more punch and more fun factor at the expense to that wonderful Hilo accuracy. It was not an easy call, but at the end of the day accuracy (and the space constraints on my desktop) won out.
I realize this is going to be a dumb question whichever answer I get, but I can't budget effectively without knowing: for those of you who took advantage of the excellent pricing offered by ADK Pro Audio, did you have to pay sales tax as well? I ask because I'm a bit torn: I want to support ADK for offering a great deal to the HF community, but I also really like to support local businesses and I'm considering seeing if a Nashville dealer can match the pricing. Not sure which way I'm going, but I need to figure out the tax thing regardless.
TIA for any help you can give! :)
Just curious, how would that be better than the eq software built into PV or Amarra? Has you seen the new PS Audio Nuwave? That has a mm/mc phono preamp built in. It's around the $1800 mark.
A question came up about XLR to RCA adapters being potentially damaging and wanted to see if anybody has used them with the HILO. I'm going to send my unit out for a comparison but the reviewer only has SE amps. I've got TRS to RCA adapters I can send but wanted to offer up the best sound. I see Lynx has XLR-RCA cables on their site and will contact them but wanted to ask the "crew" if they've had any experience with this.
I'm very interested in these exact details as well (on the Hilo's analog inputs).
I'm also interested in comparisons with the lynx Hilo, PS Audio Nuwave, and the Ayre QA-9 using the same phono stage.
Edited by robertsong - 1/29/14 at 4:16pm
For the output I have had special XLR to RCA cables made according to the manual: XLR+ to RCA+ and XLR- to RCA ground. It works great with the Bakoon HPA-21 amp.
The recommendation is to do the same for input. I don't know if you can short-circuit minus to ground, as an adapter will probably do, ask Lynx.
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › For 6AS7G tube rollers here ..... 30 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Beyerdynamic T1 Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 6 minutes ago
- › Headphones for bluray movies please 8 minutes ago
- › Stax SRM-1/Mk2 Re-cap 10 minutes ago
- › CUSTOMART AU/NZ CIEM Demo Lineup Tour 10 minutes ago
- › Ortofon e-Q5 Impressions Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 11 minutes ago
- › ZMF Headphones Omni by Jjacq
- › Sennheiser - Sennheiser CX 200 Street II by Gonomon
- › UMI Voix Blu by Rashmosh
- › Q Cables by Mediahound
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by goodyfresh
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Apogee GROOVE Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier for Mac and PC by acain
- › Noble Audio Savant by Brooko
- › Bose® Computer MusicMonitor® -- Silver by labrat
- › Harman Kardon AE1 In Ear Headphones by Army-Firedawg
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3