- 8,997 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Limbo
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productApogee MiniDAC 2 Channel DA Convertertagged by System, 6/13/12
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLavryBlack DA 10tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLynx Hilotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMetric Halo LIO-8tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Dangerous Music Source DAC Last post on 3/14/17 at 1:19pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Alternatives to Audiolab M-DAC? Last post on 4/26/13 at 10:32am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread Last post on 9/14/16 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction Reviewer Introduction Product Introduction Technical Specifications Sound Quality Signature Overview Sound...
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. - Page 35post #511 of 74312/13/13 at 5:24amIt is a v problem but it is under voltage. The display works at 28 and it's seeing 6.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #512 of 74312/15/13 at 1:26pmpost #513 of 74312/15/13 at 6:23pmI've gone through all the things Lynx suggested and no luck. They already identified the failure last week when they had it back. If it was a backlight issue, a soft reboot would bring the screen back up. A soft boot is done by turning off the power in back. Then hold in the front button and turn power on. That should bring the unit back to default mode but it didn't work. They replace the display when they had it and ran it through several checks and it was working. I got it and it fired up. I was able to do about a minute's worth of setup before it went back out. So it's in transit back for further inspection.
Edited by Happy Camper - 12/15/13 at 6:26pmpost #514 of 74312/18/13 at 1:22pmI tried battery power today. It is a 12v 7amp hour Lead Acid battery pack for pro Video camcorders.
With AC power, I feel Hilo's bass and mid bass are on the warm side. I wished it can be a bit colder than that.
With battery power, yes, it removed the warmth, becomes more neutral. And the bass becomes punchier because the remove of warmth, the sound becomes cleaner in this region. I didn't hear any changes in the highs.
However battery it lacks the body in bass. Everything lost a bit of realism, sounded a bit too lean, a bit hollow. Can this caused by the battery can't provide enough current to the headphone amp? I don't know.
I like AC better than battery.post #515 of 74312/19/13 at 4:07pmpost #516 of 74312/29/13 at 11:58amThe Hilo could use the RIAA software needed to listen to vinyl.
Precious is home. Man it sounds good. I'm running RS-1s out of the hp amp while I mod my HE-6s.
I love my precious.
Edited by Happy Camper - 1/9/14 at 7:44pmpost #517 of 7431/13/14 at 1:49am
If Lynx could incorporate RIAA eq software into the Hilo, in my opinion, that would put if far ahead, in a league of its own. If they could find a way to allow the end-user to manipulate the phono pre-amp eq curve to allow for the various recording curves offered throughout the years for 78 rpm records that would make it very, very desirable to the audiophile and institutions with a varying collection of LPs.
Personally, I would be willing to pay a moderate fee for such an enhancement.as the current offerings for a decent 78 rpm pre-amp are in the $500 to $2000 range.
I don't know how much memory the Lynx might have available to options like this but I can't see this taking up too much additional resources of it's current feature set.post #518 of 7431/23/14 at 2:44pmQuote:Originally Posted by burnspbesq
I was extremely surprised recently to hear a $120 amp that I think I might like better (with HD 800) than the headphone amp section of the Hilo: the soon-to-be-released (Jason, dude, yer killin' me!) Schiit Vali.
If you get a chance to drop one on top of your Hilo (it's the same size as the Magni), do give it a listen.
I'm planning to order a Vali as soon as Schiit officially puts it on sale, and after I've had some time with it and the Hilo I will post impressions.
As it turned out, I sold the Vali about six weeks after I got it. It's a fantastic piece of gear--I can't think of anything better for $120. The differences between the Vali and the Hilo's amp section are not subtle; with the Vali you get more punch and more fun factor at the expense to that wonderful Hilo accuracy. It was not an easy call, but at the end of the day accuracy (and the space constraints on my desktop) won out.post #519 of 7431/28/14 at 5:48pm
I realize this is going to be a dumb question whichever answer I get, but I can't budget effectively without knowing: for those of you who took advantage of the excellent pricing offered by ADK Pro Audio, did you have to pay sales tax as well? I ask because I'm a bit torn: I want to support ADK for offering a great deal to the HF community, but I also really like to support local businesses and I'm considering seeing if a Nashville dealer can match the pricing. Not sure which way I'm going, but I need to figure out the tax thing regardless.
TIA for any help you can give! :)post #520 of 7431/29/14 at 4:07pmQuote:
Just curious, how would that be better than the eq software built into PV or Amarra? Has you seen the new PS Audio Nuwave? That has a mm/mc phono preamp built in. It's around the $1800 mark.post #521 of 7431/29/14 at 4:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Happy Camper
A question came up about XLR to RCA adapters being potentially damaging and wanted to see if anybody has used them with the HILO. I'm going to send my unit out for a comparison but the reviewer only has SE amps. I've got TRS to RCA adapters I can send but wanted to offer up the best sound. I see Lynx has XLR-RCA cables on their site and will contact them but wanted to ask the "crew" if they've had any experience with this.
I'm very interested in these exact details as well (on the Hilo's analog inputs).
I'm also interested in comparisons with the lynx Hilo, PS Audio Nuwave, and the Ayre QA-9 using the same phono stage.
Edited by robertsong - 1/29/14 at 4:16pmpost #522 of 7431/29/14 at 5:29pmQuote:
For the output I have had special XLR to RCA cables made according to the manual: XLR+ to RCA+ and XLR- to RCA ground. It works great with the Bakoon HPA-21 amp.
The recommendation is to do the same for input. I don't know if you can short-circuit minus to ground, as an adapter will probably do, ask Lynx.post #523 of 7431/29/14 at 7:20pmpost #524 of 7431/29/14 at 7:40pm
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Audeze LCD-4 4 seconds ago
- › 1MORE Announces New Quad Driver IEM @ CES 2017 27 seconds ago
- › (first post) - excellence on a budget 55 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Advice on a new headphone 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 2 minutes ago
- › DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear