Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. - Page 20

post #286 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

The digital volume control also limits the output of the signal to the point that you can't overdrive a high wattage amp. With no boost (0db) I can max the digital volume and not be too loud. That saves inadvertent mistakes redface.gif .

I love this thing's versatility. A digital/analog Swiss army knife.

 

Maybe I misunderstand you.

 

It's my impression that the different Line Out Trim settings described on page 23 in the user manual (April 2012 v. 4) are analog, not digital. The higher levels are probably (only) intended for use with professional equipment.

 

The digital volume control for the line out is a separate thing discussed (briefly) on page 30 of the user manual.

post #287 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

I have two recordings where I have both a DSD download and a hi-res PCM download (both were originally issued as hybrid SACDs): (1) the San Francisco Symphony recording of Mahler Symphony No. 1 and (2) an album of works by Britten, Prokofiev, and Shostakovich for solo cello or cello and piano, played by Pieter Wispelwey and Dejan Lazic.

 

In each case, I prefer the DSD, but it's hard to tell how much of that preference is attributable to the hardware vs. the software.


And I recall your setup has always sounded superior in a lot of ways. I have the Teac that will also do DSD, want to do another shoot out? That way we can compared DSD output from the different DACS.

post #288 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

... In the mean time, Scott contacted me and said that the pricing will be good for a while so to those bidding to purchase in the future, $1850/$1725.
...

Hi, I'm quite new in this forum and I'm very interested in Lynx Hilo. Could I ask you to give me some information about the shop that sell Hilo for that price?

I'd like to know if they could ship Lynx Hilo to Italy and how much could be the shipping.

Thanks.


Edited by grunter72 - 4/15/13 at 2:55am
post #289 of 621

Lynx has an authorized distributor in Italy.

 

http://www.midimusic.it/

 

You'll pay VAT if you buy it locally, but that might be less (might be a lot less) than customs duty.
 

post #290 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

Lynx has an authorized distributor in Italy.

 

http://www.midimusic.it/

 

You'll pay VAT if you buy it locally, but that might be less (might be a lot less) than customs duty.
 

 

This varies between countries, but often you're required to pay VAT on personal imports as well, typically above some (rather low) amount. In Norway it's NOK 200.

 

Customs duty varies even more. It's often used to protect the county's own industries to a certain degree. In Norway we don't have customs duty on most goods anymore, and very seldom for goods from EU countries.

 

If your unit works without a hitch, it's fine. If you get problems, there's extra hassle exporting to the sales country for repair, customs clearance, shipping costs etc. Your country and EU countries may have better customer protection laws than USA. Norway give customers upto 5 years by law.

 

You may save a little bit of money on initial purchase, but if you get any problems, the gain is lost and probably a lot more. Personal import isn't as profitable as one may think.

post #291 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunter72 View Post

Hi, I'm quite new in this forum and I'm very interested in Lynx Hilo. Could I ask you to give me some information about the shop that sell Hilo for that price?
I'd like to know if they could ship Lynx Hilo to Italy and how much could be the shipping.
Thanks.
Scott at www.adkproaudio.com List $2500- selling worldwide for $1850. That's $25% savings which is $650 (decent jack).
Edited by Happy Camper - 4/16/13 at 7:49pm
post #292 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post


Scott at www.adkproaudio.com List $2500- selling worldwide for $1850. That's $25% savings which is $650 (decent jack).


i can't find  Lynx HiLo A/D D/A Converter System in Black on adkproaudio.com , can you give me the link or should i call him by phone?


Edited by brodjagabr1 - 4/16/13 at 8:33pm
post #293 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodjagabr1 View Post


i can't find Lynx HiLo on adkproaudio.com , can you give me the link or should i call him by phone?
http://www.adkproaudio.com/Lynx.cfm

email to Scott and mention you seen it here. You place order in email and request black. That's what color I have and how I ordered it.
Edited by Happy Camper - 4/17/13 at 5:44pm
post #294 of 621
^ that's great HC. As Anedio decided to stop selling their DAC overseas just when I decided for the D2, HiLo is definitely on my radar
post #295 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post


Scott at www.adkproaudio.com List $2500- selling worldwide for $1850. That's $25% savings which is $650 (decent jack).

 

great deal!

 

does that mean those paying "retail price" are paying ridiculous margins to the vendors though?  just saying.....

post #296 of 621

It's really not that ridiculous. Say they buy for...$1500. And sell it for MSRP at $2500. Once you consider how low volume these units probably are, plus up keeping storefronts (if they have one), paying employees, advertising, etc...You're not making much.

 

It's probably a little higher than that, but even if they make $2k per unit...Most of these guys aren't rich, especially the pro audio guys. I really don't see this as an 'audiophile' product, honestly. The margins are probably smaller than most hi-fi gear.

 

Small dealers often live no better than your average 'normal' person. They're just trying to do what they love and support their family.

 

That being said, saving $700 is pretty hard to ignore. ;)

 

EDIT: Now that's not to say the actual company isn't making money. I've just found that they often don't give dealers as steep a discount as they probably should consider parts cost.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphinity View Post

 

great deal!

 

does that mean those paying "retail price" are paying ridiculous margins to the vendors though?  just saying.....


Edited by MorbidToaster - 4/18/13 at 8:36am
post #297 of 621
The thought behind the discount is to get Lynx some exposure on Head Fi. I asked if we could get a price break if we came to him for purchase and that was the price he offered. Straight up, nothing made from me (well, $50 off my unit for taking the effort). I'm very satisfied with the sound. It shines on speakers because of it's open presentation and on headphones because of it's resolution. Very lively sound without being overbright.
Edited by Happy Camper - 4/18/13 at 6:30pm
post #298 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

The thought behind the discount is to get Lynx some exposure on Head Fi. I asked if we could get a price break if we came to him for purchase and that was the price he offered. Straight up, nothing made from me (well, $50 off my unit for taking the effort). I'm very satisfied with the sound. It shines on speakers because of it's open presentation and on headphones because of it's resolution. Very lively sound without being overbright.

 

My Hilo has been installed in my 2 channel system for about a week now.  The first month was with headphones.  I can attest to the above statement regarding the Hilo in a 2 channel speaker set up.  I definitely liked it with headphones but I am especially happy with how it compliments my stereo setup.  I have a tube amp running the mid panels and tweeters and a SS amp running the bass drivers and the Hilo fits in there perfectly.  I could not be happier with this unit.  Eventually I will be converting my Vinyl to digital, another great option provided by the Hilo.  The Hilo, IMHO, is worth every penny even at 2500.00.

post #299 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcasey View Post

My Hilo has been installed in my 2 channel system for about a week now.  The first month was with headphones.  I can attest to the above statement regarding the Hilo in a 2 channel speaker set up.  I definitely liked it with headphones but I am especially happy with how it compliments my stereo setup.  I have a tube amp running the mid panels and tweeters and a SS amp running the bass drivers and the Hilo fits in there perfectly.  I could not be happier with this unit.  Eventually I will be converting my Vinyl to digital, another great option provided by the Hilo.  The Hilo, IMHO, is worth every penny even at 2500.00.

Sounds like the way I'll be using mine. It'll be awhile, but I still really want one.
post #300 of 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

The thought behind the discount is to get Lynx some exposure on Head Fi. I asked if we could get a price break if we came to him for purchase and that was the price he offered. Straight up, nothing made from me (well, $50 off my unit for taking the effort). I'm very satisfied with the sound. It shines on speakers because of it's open presentation and on headphones because of it's resolution. Very lively sound without being overbright.

 

i am grateful to small business audio engineers, manufacturers and vendors for following their passions and making the sacrifices they do.  & for that matter, artists and musicians as well.  was just being a devil's advocate...

 

i almost had to buy a Hilo at that price!  stellar deal especially relative to the going rate.

 

+ Lynx is in SoCal so def. rooting for them.

 

outside of the DM Source and BMC PureDAC, the Lynx was def one of the main DACs i was considering in the $1k - $2.5k range....


Edited by aphinity - 4/19/13 at 12:02am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.