- 8,997 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Limbo
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productApogee MiniDAC 2 Channel DA Convertertagged by System, 6/13/12
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLavryBlack DA 10tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLynx Hilotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMetric Halo LIO-8tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Dangerous Music Source DAC Last post on 3/14/17 at 1:19pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Alternatives to Audiolab M-DAC? Last post on 4/26/13 at 10:32am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread Last post on 9/14/16 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 ohm(with some mods) This is a review of the Beyerdynamic DT 480, I believe the only other headphone that shares a driver with the DT 48, the original dynamic headphone....
A funny thing had happened the last time I visited Schiit Audio's offices and factory/warehouse. When we entered, what had previously been a storage or dumping room -- I don't remember, had become...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
I was surprised to see only a single review for this player, so figured I'd throw my hat into the ring. I owned this player for about a year until it was stolen (along with an entire...
I have had the opportunity to review a few inexpensive MP3 players recently and have generally been quite impressed with many of them as they clearly appear to put sound quality before pretty much...
Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. - Page 15post #211 of 7433/18/13 at 2:23pmI guess we take the covers off then for pics.......us adolescents are so rebellious.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 7433/18/13 at 3:18pmpost #213 of 7433/18/13 at 5:02pmpost #214 of 7433/18/13 at 8:20pmQuote:
A two-week group rental in the Outer Banks in July?post #215 of 7433/18/13 at 9:37pmpost #216 of 7433/19/13 at 7:39amThread Starter
It's been a while since I used the internal headphone amp on the Hilo, so gave it a run last night. At really low levels it sounded fine, but as soon as I brought it up to a decent playback lever, I heard noise/distortion. So much so, that it was impossible to listen to anything. I tried 2 different headphones, and had the same result. Today I will fire it up again and see if it remains the same. What a bummer!!!post #217 of 7433/19/13 at 7:57amQuote:
You may have a similar problem as HappyCamper described recently in this thread.
Do check the levels of your inputs and outputs, both digital and analog for each. It's easy to overlook one setting because the screen doesn't have space to show all the information at the same time.post #218 of 7433/19/13 at 8:03am
I encountered this as well when I first started using the Hilo. The situation has happened a few more times during use. Every time it has had to do with input levels being set incorrectly.
The Hilo is a piece of Pro Audio gear and as such offers more levels of control and adjustment than most consumer hi fi equipment. The nature of the interface is such that unintentional adjustments can be missed. As I have gained more experience with the use of the Hilo the control of the interface has become second nature.
When properly set up, the head amp on the Hilo is capable of driving my LCD 2's at full volume without distortion.post #219 of 7433/19/13 at 8:19ampost #220 of 7433/19/13 at 8:29amQuote:
Good settings to start with. I have found that for my situations going above 0db on the input level has the potential to most negatively affect sound and cause distortion. Output trim levels for most consumer gear are fine to +6dBV. My Yulong headphone amp seems happy right up to +20dBu. To be safe I usually leave everything set as you have described.post #221 of 7433/19/13 at 11:13ampost #222 of 7433/19/13 at 12:01pm
Not sure we've solved the mystery yet. The datasheet for the Burr-Brown PGA4311 describes it as a high-performance, four-channel volume control.
Here's a link to the current TI DAC chip product line.post #223 of 7433/19/13 at 12:06pmpost #224 of 7433/20/13 at 11:13am
So while HC was over listening to the new speakers, we opened up the Hilo and i grabbed some pics of the chips in question.
So its got 2 CS5381 ADCs i would assume in dual mono differential configuration for the analog inputs
It's also got 3 CS4398s doing DAC duties. Two I'm assuming are in dual mono differential mode for the line outs, and the 3rd one is probably in stereo mode for the monitor outputs.
There is also a 4th CS4398 doing DAC duty in the headphone section, it also uses LME49600s as the output buffers for the headphone output.
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
- › Equalizing LCD-2 Fazors? 16 seconds ago
- › Dita Audio Flagship - "The Dream" 1 minute ago
- › Final SONOROUS III 1 minute ago
- › Sony/HTC/AKG/Blue/MISC Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › DT1770 Pro Experiences with Different Amps 5 minutes ago
- › High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and... 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 6 minutes ago
- › Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid by twister6
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by SkumBucket
- › BENJIE K9 8G APE/FLAC/WAV High Sound Quality Entry-level Lossless... by Peddler
- › Darkvoice 336SE by SOULSIK
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by B9Scrambler
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by OSiRiSsk
- › Brainwavz Jive by ezekiel77
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by Cinder
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear