- 8,696 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Annapolis, MO (in the middle of retirement)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productApogee MiniDAC 2 Channel DA Convertertagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLavryBlack DA 10tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLynx Hilotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMetric Halo LIO-8tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- Dangerous Music Source DAC Last post on 8/26/14 at 12:46pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread Last post on 9/12/14 at 3:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- What headphone DAC/Amps use the ESS Sabre DAC chip? Last post on 10/3/12 at 11:48pm in Dedicated Source Components
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
You can pay more for a dac alone and not do as well as the 105. You can buy a blue ray player for more and not do as well. Ditto for cd, sacd, and/or DVD players. Its audio preamps are as good as...
The 2014 Brainwavz S5: A Single Dynamic Driver IEM Specifications Found here: www.yourbrainwavz.com/s5.html No measurements for the S5 were available at the time of this...
SO, lets get on to it. The MTPC's are a pair of IEM's that are in a very akward position. It is quite pricy and rejected by the "purist audiophiles" that dislike the brand of Monster, due to...
Got these headphones in blue limited edition and first of all, I must say that they look absolutely fantastic. Sexy in style and design. Not only that, the sound is amazing too! High, mid lows are...
As a precautionary remark: this is the first headphone review I have ever written - although I have read a lot of them; moreover these are the first pair of headphones I own in this price class,...
- Headphone Impedance
Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:
A two-week group rental in the Outer Banks in July?
It's been a while since I used the internal headphone amp on the Hilo, so gave it a run last night. At really low levels it sounded fine, but as soon as I brought it up to a decent playback lever, I heard noise/distortion. So much so, that it was impossible to listen to anything. I tried 2 different headphones, and had the same result. Today I will fire it up again and see if it remains the same. What a bummer!!!
You may have a similar problem as HappyCamper described recently in this thread.
Do check the levels of your inputs and outputs, both digital and analog for each. It's easy to overlook one setting because the screen doesn't have space to show all the information at the same time.
I encountered this as well when I first started using the Hilo. The situation has happened a few more times during use. Every time it has had to do with input levels being set incorrectly.
The Hilo is a piece of Pro Audio gear and as such offers more levels of control and adjustment than most consumer hi fi equipment. The nature of the interface is such that unintentional adjustments can be missed. As I have gained more experience with the use of the Hilo the control of the interface has become second nature.
When properly set up, the head amp on the Hilo is capable of driving my LCD 2's at full volume without distortion.
Good settings to start with. I have found that for my situations going above 0db on the input level has the potential to most negatively affect sound and cause distortion. Output trim levels for most consumer gear are fine to +6dBV. My Yulong headphone amp seems happy right up to +20dBu. To be safe I usually leave everything set as you have described.
Not sure we've solved the mystery yet. The datasheet for the Burr-Brown PGA4311 describes it as a high-performance, four-channel volume control.
Here's a link to the current TI DAC chip product line.
So while HC was over listening to the new speakers, we opened up the Hilo and i grabbed some pics of the chips in question.
So its got 2 CS5381 ADCs i would assume in dual mono differential configuration for the analog inputs
It's also got 3 CS4398s doing DAC duties. Two I'm assuming are in dual mono differential mode for the line outs, and the 3rd one is probably in stereo mode for the monitor outputs.
There is also a 4th CS4398 doing DAC duty in the headphone section, it also uses LME49600s as the output buffers for the headphone output.
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review 18 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 59 seconds ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › FS/FT: Schiit Lyr Tube Amp Price Dropped^2 Excellent New Tubes... 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio x3 vs Fiio x5 or other help please? 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › ***AKG K612 &HTC One M7 in great condition, Terrific Value*** 4 minutes ago
- › Tera Player Thread - impressions, opinions, reviews , SQ. 5 minutes ago
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by NA Blur
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 350p Portable Headphones Brand New Black Free... by twister6
- › Sony MDR-CD 780 by mark235
- › EarSonics EM32 by Rollk2
- › JVC HA-FX101 by bonami2
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)