- 8,876 Posts. Joined 10/2006
- Location: Annapolis, MO (in the middle of retirement)
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryAmp DACstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productAnedio D2 DACtagged by System, 6/13/12
- productApogee MiniDAC 2 Channel DA Convertertagged by System, 6/13/12
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 1/11/15
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLavryBlack DA 10tagged by System, 6/13/12
- productLynx Hilotagged by System, 6/13/12
- productMetric Halo LIO-8tagged by System, 6/13/12
Related Forum Threads
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Dangerous Music Source DAC Last post on 4/11/15 at 5:39pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Alternatives to Audiolab M-DAC? Last post on 4/26/13 at 10:32am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best DACs with asynchronous 24/192 or higher USB and volume control? W4S DAC2? Up to $2000. Last post on 7/12/14 at 5:48am in Dedicated Source Components
- Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread Last post on 6/3/15 at 5:26am in Dedicated Source Components
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Out-of-box experience.....Accessories and packaging Receiving and unboxing the RHA T20 gives the impression that this product is not just "some" product. Everything signals quality and thought....
Firstly, like to thank Billy from Busisoft for organising the Westone UM PRO 10 for this review. Westone needs no introduction, they are one of the industry leaders for professional monitors...
Intro:- I was really excited when SoundMAGIC announced a couple of new earphones with a new “Reference” line up, Led by E80, their flagship, and subordinate E50( like Bumblebee), what I...
I was invited by Noontec to write a honest review of their Hammo S headphone. I tend to be very skeptical about lower-priced headphones, since the bottom tier of headphones/speakers tend to...
- Headphone Impedance
Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company. - Page 15
Gear mentioned in this thread:
A two-week group rental in the Outer Banks in July?
It's been a while since I used the internal headphone amp on the Hilo, so gave it a run last night. At really low levels it sounded fine, but as soon as I brought it up to a decent playback lever, I heard noise/distortion. So much so, that it was impossible to listen to anything. I tried 2 different headphones, and had the same result. Today I will fire it up again and see if it remains the same. What a bummer!!!
You may have a similar problem as HappyCamper described recently in this thread.
Do check the levels of your inputs and outputs, both digital and analog for each. It's easy to overlook one setting because the screen doesn't have space to show all the information at the same time.
I encountered this as well when I first started using the Hilo. The situation has happened a few more times during use. Every time it has had to do with input levels being set incorrectly.
The Hilo is a piece of Pro Audio gear and as such offers more levels of control and adjustment than most consumer hi fi equipment. The nature of the interface is such that unintentional adjustments can be missed. As I have gained more experience with the use of the Hilo the control of the interface has become second nature.
When properly set up, the head amp on the Hilo is capable of driving my LCD 2's at full volume without distortion.
Good settings to start with. I have found that for my situations going above 0db on the input level has the potential to most negatively affect sound and cause distortion. Output trim levels for most consumer gear are fine to +6dBV. My Yulong headphone amp seems happy right up to +20dBu. To be safe I usually leave everything set as you have described.
Not sure we've solved the mystery yet. The datasheet for the Burr-Brown PGA4311 describes it as a high-performance, four-channel volume control.
Here's a link to the current TI DAC chip product line.
So while HC was over listening to the new speakers, we opened up the Hilo and i grabbed some pics of the chips in question.
So its got 2 CS5381 ADCs i would assume in dual mono differential configuration for the analog inputs
It's also got 3 CS4398s doing DAC duties. Two I'm assuming are in dual mono differential mode for the line outs, and the 3rd one is probably in stereo mode for the monitor outputs.
There is also a 4th CS4398 doing DAC duty in the headphone section, it also uses LME49600s as the output buffers for the headphone output.
- Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 35 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › FIRE SALE: Muse Audio R2-R Mini-DAC TDA1543x4 1 minute ago
- › Fit for a Bat! – Flagship IEMs Shootout (Reviewed: #8:CT6E, #7:H8P,... 1 minute ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 1 minute ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 1 minute ago
- › FS: V-Moda M80 (white version) 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW first look at the Macaw GT100S IEMs by... 3 minutes ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 3 minutes ago
- › Don Scorpio sMushroom HD Bluetooth iem by Baycode
- › RHA T20 by rasmushorn
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by pformagg
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by suman134
- › Noontec Hammo S Over Ear Headphone Audiophile Sound Stylish Looking... by Lunatique
- › OPPO PM-3 by RazrLeaf
- › Xtreme Xplosives In Ear by Omar717
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by morethansense
- › Sony XBA-10/N Gold | Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones (Japanese... by LikeABell
- › Joseph Grado HPA-1 by kayandjohn
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)