i don't know if it's a placebo effect but i find my ipod touch puts out the best sound quality of all my devices. my shure srh840 sounds best amped out of my ipod touch.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Any over-ear closed headphone with great metal/rock signature???? Last post on 12/18/13 at 11:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over-ear headphones for $100 or less? Heres what Im looking for. Last post on 7/28/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyer DT770 Pro 80 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. Fischer FA-003 Last post on 6/27/12 at 3:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- KNS 8400 / ATH M-50 / DT 770 / SRH840?? Last post on 6/19/12 at 2:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I picked up these for my wife. I thought that since she is more of an average listener (not too concerned with audio), the V-shaped sound might be acceptable or even preferred. I gave them a listen...
I got to listen to these for a couple weeks as part of the USA tour, with the requirement that I write a review and pay to ship them to the next participant. I am not affiliated with, and was not...
Introduction: I have had the chance to listen to the HD800 a few times at local Head-Fi meets. However, I have never got a good chance to listen to them, either the person who owned them...
At the time of this review, the iFi micro iDSD, iFi nano Gemini cable and iFi nano iUSB3.0 was for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are links for the purchase of these three...
These so far dethroned all my top headphones. Deeper more natural bass than the M50X, or the HE-400, better 3d imaging, and speed than the AD900x, better comfort than the DT990pro. Mine is...
My official shure srh840 impressions after 2 months (includes pictures) - Page 4post #46 of 646/17/11 at 9:20pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #47 of 646/17/11 at 9:32pm
I'm sorry but I just completely disagree with what you said about durability and sibilance. The SRH840's are built like a tank compared to most headphones, and they're pretty smooth if you use good quality source files.post #48 of 646/17/11 at 10:15pmThread StarterQuote:
yes i do agree with you. after owning them for 4 months i have come to the conclusion that they are not very sibilant unless the track is recorded poorly and are smooth if you give it a proper source. durability wise i think they are pretty good and i can't see them breaking without serious abuse but the fact they are made of plastic worries me a little. i think they are fantastic for the price however and shures warranty is top notch apparently.post #49 of 646/18/11 at 2:03ampost #50 of 646/18/11 at 11:09amThread StarterQuote:
do you mean that in a good or a bad way?
Edited by bcasey25raptor - 6/18/11 at 12:23pmpost #51 of 646/18/11 at 12:23pmThread StarterQuote:
thats why i bought them.post #52 of 646/19/11 at 4:34pm
Neither, they're just absolute opposites, in other words a good choice. Although I guess those aren't typical shouty Grados, so they won't offer a full on assault on the sensespost #53 of 646/19/11 at 8:40pmThread StarterQuote:
i look forward to trying out my alessandro ms1. also when my fiio e7 comes i will add onto the review what they sound like out of a fiio e7. keep on eye out for this review.post #54 of 646/21/11 at 5:03pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Rawrbington
ive had a pair for about a year now. The only thing i really disagree with is the part about them being revealing. To my ears they do more for making anything sound good, as apposed to my beyers, which points a big noisy sign right at any sound/recording flaw.
but i remember noticing that it went away with the addition of a gooddecent dac.
i live the review.
and yes, they take to power very nicely.
then my pair is broken because when i have a bad recording i hear it. and low bitrates are even worse.post #55 of 646/24/11 at 1:39pmThread Starter
update i received my fiio e7 today. for the most part the harshness has disappeared. money well spent. i will post again after a more thorough listen.post #56 of 646/24/11 at 3:39pm
Did you get a LOD for your iPod as well Casey? I find that using the line-out rather than the headphone-out also makes quite a difference. It pairs nicely with the SRH840 doesn't it :)post #57 of 646/24/11 at 6:10pmThread StarterQuote:
yes i have a fiio l3 for my ipod. it does much better then before. but now my ipod looks like a bomb.post #58 of 646/24/11 at 8:26pmThread StarterQuote:
update: actually it doesn't change the sound at all other then remove static. the fiio e7 isn't worth the $100 i spent on it.post #59 of 646/24/11 at 9:08pmQuote:
It's not supposed to "change the sound" - and removing the static is exactly the idea. It's strength is as as a (reasonably) transparent DAC to give you a cleaner signal.post #60 of 646/24/11 at 9:09pmThread StarterQuote:
i was under the impression it would improve sound quality over onboard but i feel the opposite has occurred.
if it's job was only to remove static then an amplifier fed through i lod would do the trick.
- My official shure srh840 impressions after 2 months (includes pictures)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › Xiaomi Hybrid IEM Thread (Piston successor) 34 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 48 seconds ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 1 minute ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 2 minutes ago
- › Are there really no differences in sound quality between amps? 2 minutes ago
- › XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED! 2 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons) 3 minutes ago
- › LG G5, Possible DAC or Camera modules. Audiophiles enjoy ? 4 minutes ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Yubacore
- › Meze 99 Classics by Defiant00
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by silvrr
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Hisoundfi
- › Audeze EL-8 Open-Back by droido256
- › OPPO PM-3 by Sophonax
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by starbux61
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Feilong4
- › X-18 D2 - Sundown Audio 18" Dual 2-Ohm X-Series Subwoofer by RockeyDA
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by mark2410
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse