i don't know if it's a placebo effect but i find my ipod touch puts out the best sound quality of all my devices. my shure srh840 sounds best amped out of my ipod touch.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Any over-ear closed headphone with great metal/rock signature???? Last post on 12/18/13 at 11:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over-ear headphones for $100 or less? Heres what Im looking for. Last post on 7/28/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyer DT770 Pro 80 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. Fischer FA-003 Last post on 6/27/12 at 3:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- KNS 8400 / ATH M-50 / DT 770 / SRH840?? Last post on 6/19/12 at 2:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
I bought this in october. I agree with other reviewers, the sound is definitely value for money you can read other reviews for that. However, the build quality is terrible. I took good...
My official shure srh840 impressions after 2 months (includes pictures) - Page 4post #46 of 646/17/11 at 9:20pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #47 of 646/17/11 at 9:32pm
I'm sorry but I just completely disagree with what you said about durability and sibilance. The SRH840's are built like a tank compared to most headphones, and they're pretty smooth if you use good quality source files.post #48 of 646/17/11 at 10:15pmThread StarterQuote:
yes i do agree with you. after owning them for 4 months i have come to the conclusion that they are not very sibilant unless the track is recorded poorly and are smooth if you give it a proper source. durability wise i think they are pretty good and i can't see them breaking without serious abuse but the fact they are made of plastic worries me a little. i think they are fantastic for the price however and shures warranty is top notch apparently.post #49 of 646/18/11 at 2:03ampost #50 of 646/18/11 at 11:09amThread StarterQuote:
do you mean that in a good or a bad way?
Edited by bcasey25raptor - 6/18/11 at 12:23pmpost #51 of 646/18/11 at 12:23pmThread StarterQuote:
thats why i bought them.post #52 of 646/19/11 at 4:34pm
Neither, they're just absolute opposites, in other words a good choice. Although I guess those aren't typical shouty Grados, so they won't offer a full on assault on the sensespost #53 of 646/19/11 at 8:40pmThread StarterQuote:
i look forward to trying out my alessandro ms1. also when my fiio e7 comes i will add onto the review what they sound like out of a fiio e7. keep on eye out for this review.post #54 of 646/21/11 at 5:03pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Rawrbington
ive had a pair for about a year now. The only thing i really disagree with is the part about them being revealing. To my ears they do more for making anything sound good, as apposed to my beyers, which points a big noisy sign right at any sound/recording flaw.
but i remember noticing that it went away with the addition of a gooddecent dac.
i live the review.
and yes, they take to power very nicely.
then my pair is broken because when i have a bad recording i hear it. and low bitrates are even worse.post #55 of 646/24/11 at 1:39pmThread Starter
update i received my fiio e7 today. for the most part the harshness has disappeared. money well spent. i will post again after a more thorough listen.post #56 of 646/24/11 at 3:39pm
Did you get a LOD for your iPod as well Casey? I find that using the line-out rather than the headphone-out also makes quite a difference. It pairs nicely with the SRH840 doesn't it :)post #57 of 646/24/11 at 6:10pmThread StarterQuote:
yes i have a fiio l3 for my ipod. it does much better then before. but now my ipod looks like a bomb.post #58 of 646/24/11 at 8:26pmThread StarterQuote:
update: actually it doesn't change the sound at all other then remove static. the fiio e7 isn't worth the $100 i spent on it.post #59 of 646/24/11 at 9:08pmQuote:
It's not supposed to "change the sound" - and removing the static is exactly the idea. It's strength is as as a (reasonably) transparent DAC to give you a cleaner signal.post #60 of 646/24/11 at 9:09pmThread StarterQuote:
i was under the impression it would improve sound quality over onboard but i feel the opposite has occurred.
if it's job was only to remove static then an amplifier fed through i lod would do the trick.
- My official shure srh840 impressions after 2 months (includes pictures)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 34 seconds ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 40 seconds ago
- › Lavry DA11 41 seconds ago
- › Frequency response graph and EQ 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Aftermarket cables for the HE-6/ HE-500 etc. 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2