i don't know if it's a placebo effect but i find my ipod touch puts out the best sound quality of all my devices. my shure srh840 sounds best amped out of my ipod touch.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Any over-ear closed headphone with great metal/rock signature???? Last post on 12/18/13 at 11:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over-ear headphones for $100 or less? Heres what Im looking for. Last post on 7/28/13 at 3:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyer DT770 Pro 80 vs. Shure SRH 840 vs. Fischer FA-003 Last post on 6/27/12 at 3:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Out to buy my first set of real headphones...looking for some open ear choices under $300 Last post on 6/27/12 at 8:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- KNS 8400 / ATH M-50 / DT 770 / SRH840?? Last post on 6/19/12 at 2:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Weston W80 Review Disclaimer: The W80 was loaned to me by the local distributor www.samma3a.com - I have to return it, I have not received any incentive, financial or otherwise for this...
Meant to be married to the OL DAC, the O2 headphone amp matches it in shape, size and simplicity. What’s neat about the O2 is that JDS Labs allows for some simple customizations—you can choose...
Acknowledgment This review unit was provided to me in exchange for my honest opinion by Penon Audio. This review was originally published here. Introduction I’m a regular watcher and poster on...
I know a lot of people say a DAC is a DAC is a DAC, but I’m not one of them. A DAC’s chipset and its implementation, among other things, play a very real role in determining how it sounds....
I bought these headphones about year ago (I use them almost everyday), as an upgrade from my g430s when the cable finally wore out. In some cases (only some cases) I think the sound quality might...
My official shure srh840 impressions after 2 months (includes pictures) - Page 4post #46 of 646/17/11 at 9:20pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #47 of 646/17/11 at 9:32pm
I'm sorry but I just completely disagree with what you said about durability and sibilance. The SRH840's are built like a tank compared to most headphones, and they're pretty smooth if you use good quality source files.post #48 of 646/17/11 at 10:15pmThread StarterQuote:
yes i do agree with you. after owning them for 4 months i have come to the conclusion that they are not very sibilant unless the track is recorded poorly and are smooth if you give it a proper source. durability wise i think they are pretty good and i can't see them breaking without serious abuse but the fact they are made of plastic worries me a little. i think they are fantastic for the price however and shures warranty is top notch apparently.post #49 of 646/18/11 at 2:03ampost #50 of 646/18/11 at 11:09amThread StarterQuote:
do you mean that in a good or a bad way?
Edited by bcasey25raptor - 6/18/11 at 12:23pmpost #51 of 646/18/11 at 12:23pmThread StarterQuote:
thats why i bought them.post #52 of 646/19/11 at 4:34pm
Neither, they're just absolute opposites, in other words a good choice. Although I guess those aren't typical shouty Grados, so they won't offer a full on assault on the sensespost #53 of 646/19/11 at 8:40pmThread StarterQuote:
i look forward to trying out my alessandro ms1. also when my fiio e7 comes i will add onto the review what they sound like out of a fiio e7. keep on eye out for this review.post #54 of 646/21/11 at 5:03pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Rawrbington
ive had a pair for about a year now. The only thing i really disagree with is the part about them being revealing. To my ears they do more for making anything sound good, as apposed to my beyers, which points a big noisy sign right at any sound/recording flaw.
but i remember noticing that it went away with the addition of a gooddecent dac.
i live the review.
and yes, they take to power very nicely.
then my pair is broken because when i have a bad recording i hear it. and low bitrates are even worse.post #55 of 646/24/11 at 1:39pmThread Starter
update i received my fiio e7 today. for the most part the harshness has disappeared. money well spent. i will post again after a more thorough listen.post #56 of 646/24/11 at 3:39pm
Did you get a LOD for your iPod as well Casey? I find that using the line-out rather than the headphone-out also makes quite a difference. It pairs nicely with the SRH840 doesn't it :)post #57 of 646/24/11 at 6:10pmThread StarterQuote:
yes i have a fiio l3 for my ipod. it does much better then before. but now my ipod looks like a bomb.post #58 of 646/24/11 at 8:26pmThread StarterQuote:
update: actually it doesn't change the sound at all other then remove static. the fiio e7 isn't worth the $100 i spent on it.post #59 of 646/24/11 at 9:08pmQuote:
It's not supposed to "change the sound" - and removing the static is exactly the idea. It's strength is as as a (reasonably) transparent DAC to give you a cleaner signal.post #60 of 646/24/11 at 9:09pmThread StarterQuote:
i was under the impression it would improve sound quality over onboard but i feel the opposite has occurred.
if it's job was only to remove static then an amplifier fed through i lod would do the trick.
- My official shure srh840 impressions after 2 months (includes pictures)
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 13 seconds ago
- › Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII DAC 14 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 25 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 43 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 1 minute ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 1 minute ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › What are the best Superlux Headphones? 1 minute ago
- › Official Free FLAC File Music Sharing Thread 1 minute ago
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by glassmonkey
- › JDS Labs OL DAC by SoundApprentice
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear