Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › The Wire Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Wire Headphone Amplifier - Page 4

post #46 of 88
Aren't you getting OPC's psu?
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post

Aren't you getting OPC's psu?

Yes. I should've clarified as to what toroidal is a good choice for this setup. I was recommended this one so far. Is there anything better for the price?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/VPT24-2080/237-1332-ND/2090070

post #48 of 88

Hi, I would suggest this power transformer

 

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/70043K/1295-1043-ND/3881436

 

The one that you posted is a 50VA, way too much for the headphone amp - BAL-BAL or SE-SE, you only need circa of 10VA.

 

The Talema one is pc pin mounted, is his only downside.


Edited by cloudalmasai - 11/25/13 at 6:00pm
post #49 of 88

I like the Amveco toroids... I used this in my SE-SE...

 

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=TE62043-ND&x=0&y=0&formaction=on


Edited by Mullet - 11/25/13 at 8:12pm
post #50 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
 

I like the Amveco toroids... I used this in my SE-SE...

 

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=TE62043-ND&x=0&y=0&formaction=on

Is 10VA adequate for the BAL-BAL though? That's what I'm building...

post #51 of 88

I would say yes, but your best bet is to ask on diyaudio.com where the main thread is located.

post #52 of 88

Anything suggestions for the case? This will also be my first build with some "casework" - glad to have some input on any special tools that would be needed! I have the usual wire cutters,strippers,screwdrivers etc.

post #53 of 88

You can use any case you like. Look on eBay for amp chassis and you should be able to find something to suit your needs. I'd say keep the transformer away from the amp pcb. Both boards are fairly small so you don't need a huge case for this. Do some more research and take a look at a site like this for some ideas...

 

http://www.diyaudio.com/store/amplifier-chassis.html

 

If you don't like to drill holes or don't have the means, you can use Front Panels Express for panel work. They have Mac/PC software to do design. You can also use CAD software if that's your thing.

 

In general, you'll still need to drill holes on the bottom of the chassis for things like grounding your chassis and making holes for stand-offs.  Your PCBs need to be mounted somewhere. This is probably the hardest part. You'll either want a power drill or a mini drill press for this. Otherwise, you could have a machinist in a local shop do it for you, which will cost you more. You usually would provide some sort of drawing to mark where you want the holes.

 

Also, take a look at this thread...

 

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/179298-wire-ultra-high-performance-headphone-amplifier-pcbs.html

 

This is really where you'll get most answers to your general questions about The Wire.

post #54 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala View Post
 

Anything suggestions for the case? This will also be my first build with some "casework" - glad to have some input on any special tools that would be needed! I have the usual wire cutters,strippers,screwdrivers etc.

I went with a Hammond 1590F. Got it for $30 shipped with coupon code "save5" :D

post #55 of 88

Well, I just got done ordering all the parts on the BOM and stuff not listed on the BOM. Total shipped for everything, including case and RFI-filtered power module came out to $182 :D So "the wire" BAL-BAL can easily be done for under $200 for anyone interested :)

post #56 of 88

Thanks @Mullet & @brunk. Already found a cheap case on Ebay that should be suitable for my requirement. Dimensions seem to be ok, but I need to double check that! Will also be picking up a Bosch PSB 500 RE for drilling.Haven't proceeded with the BOM order yet, wouldn't be cheap since I would have to add customs & VAT!:mad:

post #57 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala View Post
 

Thanks @Mullet & @brunk. Already found a cheap case on Ebay that should be suitable for my requirement. Dimensions seem to be ok, but I need to double check that! Will also be picking up a Bosch PSB 500 RE for drilling.Haven't proceeded with the BOM order yet, wouldn't be cheap since I would have to add customs & VAT!:mad:

I was looking into that exact same case. The major problem with it is that it only opens from the front and back....have fun mounting your kit in there! If you bought the PSU board, be sure to use the latest BOM too.

:beerchug:

post #58 of 88

Looking at the pics on eBay it looks like you can take the top off. I'd say this is a good chassis option for "The Wire".

post #59 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
 

Looking at the pics on eBay it looks like you can take the top off. I'd say this is a good chassis option for "The Wire".


You are right @Mullet! @brunk This is the same chassis without the power socket and the image shows the it can be opened from the top. BTW, I do have query regarding the Q3 & Q4 (TPS7A3301 Regulators) on the PSU BOM - do I have to order that separately from Mouser? I'm going with Digikey for the rest. And thanks for the heads-up on the revised BOM, completely missed that one.

post #60 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala View Post
 


You are right @Mullet! @brunk This is the same chassis without the power socket and the image shows the it can be opened from the top. BTW, I do have query regarding the Q3 & Q4 (TPS7A3301 Regulators) on the PSU BOM - do I have to order that separately from Mouser? I'm going with Digikey for the rest. And thanks for the heads-up on the revised BOM, completely missed that one.

Yeah you'll have to order the regs from Mouser or Ti.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions › The Wire Headphone Amplifier