I really hope these synergize well with the EF5, because I don't want to have to waste more money on a Lyr.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Senn HD650 or HD600? Last post on 10/16/13 at 3:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Does it get much better than the HD800? Last post on Today at 2:00 pm in High-end Audio Forum
- HE-4 vs. HE-5LE Last post on 2/20/14 at 3:12pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Cable(ALO) recommendation for Sennheiser HD800 Last post on 10/2/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- The One Headphone you would take if you were stuck on an island (not limited to Audeze) :) Last post on 3/8/13 at 3:50am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The ATH-m50 is my first ever headphone, not including the $2 ear-buds of course. Before the m50, I was just listening to ear-buds and didn't have much affection for music reproduction. However,...
I love these. I have BeatsPro, Monster Inspiration and these blow them away! They are super comfortable and I can hear the nuances of all sounds.
These are my go-to set of headphones and I could have them on for 4-5h without fatigue or discomfort. I love the sound signature but understand it's not for everyone. Highs: Clean, detailed,...
Having a V-Moda Crossfade LP2 for a while now and very impressed with its sound quality and comfort as closed-back headphones, I was looking for a set of open-backs for certain genres of music that...
As a budget closed-back set of headphones, I think they are not bad. The treble is rolled off quite a bit, which is not great in regard to clarity, but good in reducing fatigue on long sessions....
REVIEW: HiFiMan HE-500 Orthodynamic Headphones....Less Is More! - Page 3post #31 of 1405/8/11 at 1:24pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 1405/8/11 at 2:34pmpost #33 of 1405/8/11 at 5:51pm
From the description, I gues He-500 is much easier to get good sound and focus on mid and low more,
so if you can drive the HE-6 thoroughly, I guess He-6 should be still best. but can you?post #34 of 1405/8/11 at 6:30pmI took the 500s to a poker game last night. These guys play music and have a decent ear for it. Every one was stunned at the clarity and impact they gave. They also said they never expected a headphone to sound as good or better than their systems at home. When I gave them the price, all hell broke loose. How many people would spend that much money on headphones? I've told them that the big brother 6s have sold 25 sets so far on our forums. I'm sure there are more sold that hasn't been listed. When the 500s hit the street, there will be a backorder for them.
Bravo to HiFiMan for such a solid effort to establish a reference on their first foray into the headphone world. I'm stunned at the quality of sound.post #35 of 1405/9/11 at 4:09pm
Just got the HE-500s today and couldn't resist hooking it up to my portable gear shown--iPad/Algorithm Solo/iBasso DB2/RSA SR71B--with the HE-6 stock balanced cable using Whiplash TWag adapters. Really, just a few minutes worth of listening, nothing solid. But...the last time I heard "Gypsy" from Bella Sonus quite like this was from my balanced R10s. I no longer own those, but that's what this brief experience has recalled in me. Very alluring, indeed.
The HE-6 paired to the same gear is much harder to drive and quite different experience even though the headphones external design is very similar. The HE-6 is more detailed with better treble extensions and slightly better instrument separation. But for certain genres and most portable digital sources and solid/state amps out there, I suspect the HE-500 will be a preferred choice, based on its own merits alone, and not the price difference vs. the HE-6.
If only the Ultrasone Edition 10s sounded like these for $2,500, I would still own them. And that just underscores the value statement here. I suspect Head-Direct will not have any problems selling every single pair they can make.post #36 of 1405/10/11 at 5:17pmpost #37 of 1405/11/11 at 7:07ampost #38 of 1405/11/11 at 12:20pmThread Starter
Thanks Tyll! Coming from you...that means a lot!post #39 of 1405/12/11 at 8:33ampost #40 of 1405/12/11 at 8:41ampost #41 of 1405/12/11 at 12:15pm
Ordered mine just now...Hoping it's the last can I buy for a long, long time.
Edited by MorbidToaster - 5/12/11 at 4:18pmpost #42 of 1405/15/11 at 4:16pmpost #43 of 1405/15/11 at 4:53pmpost #44 of 1405/19/11 at 4:10pmpost #45 of 1405/20/11 at 1:27pm
For anyone that wants more pictures. I got mine in today.
- REVIEW: HiFiMan HE-500 Orthodynamic Headphones....Less Is More!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Band Name Game II 10 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 29 seconds ago
- › $200 Bassy/Vocal Oriented Open or Closed Headphones For Rap 47 seconds ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Switching fuses on a speaker (Europe to America) 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Germanium's Sound blaster ZXR mod thread 4 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by alexau123
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by jehovahluvsme
- › V-MODA LP2 by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by M-Techn1k
- › Sony MDR-XD200 Stereo Headphones by M-Techn1k
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphones by vincik
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by vincik
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Frank I
- › Viva Egoista Amplifier by Frank I
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)