Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners - Page 62

post #916 of 1258

Okay, I'm in a bit trouble. When you're married to a real Southern girl and you hear these words, "oh, hell no you didn't." There's bound to be a little trouble. 

 

In all seriousness they do sound good on top of the bar. Maybe they lost a little bass impact  because there is no wall behind them. So where do I get some nice wood stands from? Does anyone have some for sale? 

post #917 of 1258
How high off the flow do you want the speakers?
post #918 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Okay, I'm in a bit trouble. When you're married to a real Southern girl and you hear these words, "oh, hell no you didn't." There's bound to be a little trouble. 

 

In all seriousness they do sound good on top of the bar. Maybe they lost a little bass impact  because there is no wall behind them. So where do I get some nice wood stands from? Does anyone have some for sale? 

Well... tongue_smile.gif that Southern girl WAS the imaginary wall behind them! With a bad vibe no less. I know, I hail from a NOLA family.

post #919 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

How high off the flow do you want the speakers?

 

The bottom of the cabinet should be approximately 24" or so off the floor. 

 

Gentleman, I feel like I'm hearing speakers for the first time. I am now and always will be a headphone guy. It is my passion for which I'm truly dedicated to...but I must add that the vintage speakers have opened my eyes to what "real speakers" can do. The imaging and sense of space is just jaw dropping. What scares me is that these are just lowly KLH mid-sized bookshelf speakers. blink.gif

post #920 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

The bottom of the cabinet should be approximately 24" or so off the floor. 

 

Gentleman, I feel like I'm hearing speakers for the first time. I am now and always will be a headphone guy. It is my passion for which I'm truly dedicated to...but I must add that the vintage speakers have opened my eyes to what "real speakers" can do. The imaging and sense of space is just jaw dropping. What scares me is that these are just lowly KLH mid-sized bookshelf speakers. blink.gif


What's the WPC of that SX-650?  And the Sansui?

post #921 of 1258
Ok, sorry, I don't have any stands that tall.
post #922 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post


What's the WPC of that SX-650?  And the Sansui?

The Sansui is about 125 and the Pioneer is rated at only 35 wpc but feels like a lot more than that. Which amp is best suited for the KLH's?
post #923 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerBox View Post

 

Yup - got a pair of the New Large Advents in my basement system.  These are the two ways with the fried egg tweeter.  Awesome sound!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

I consider my Advents to hold their own against current models and don't feel like technology related to sound quality has changed much with modern mid-level speakers like Definitive Technology or Polk.  Also, classic brands like JBL and Infiniti put out inferior products today compared to 25  years ago IMO.  I do feel the top end speakers are stellar today (a.k.a. B&W)      

I still remember how good the high end was with my old Inifiniti EMIT tweeters.  What does everyone think about general sound of today's loudspeakers vs. a generation ago?
 

  I grew up listening to 4 original advents stacked in a parallel array jamming to pink floyd, elp and elo.  I recently ran into a pair of new advent loudspeakers at a consignment store with the traditional dried out woofer surrounds that I refoamed and now currently use them as my mains as my klipsch rf82's were relegated to surround duty as the advents blow them away! In the garage I have a pair of Infinity RS-7's (with emit tweeters) paired with a pair of cambridge soundworks ensembles ( also designed by henry kloss of advent fame) powered by a kenwood super eleven receiver that absolutely rocks!  Ain't vintage AWESOME!  

post #924 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

 

The bottom of the cabinet should be approximately 24" or so off the floor. 

 

Gentleman, I feel like I'm hearing speakers for the first time. I am now and always will be a headphone guy. It is my passion for which I'm truly dedicated to...but I must add that the vintage speakers have opened my eyes to what "real speakers" can do. The imaging and sense of space is just jaw dropping. What scares me is that these are just lowly KLH mid-sized bookshelf speakers. blink.gif

 

If you want a real jaw dropper - but still vintage try Dahlquist DQ10s.  Awesome!

post #925 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post


Gentleman, I feel like I'm hearing speakers for the first time. I am now and always will be a headphone guy. It is my passion for which I'm truly dedicated to...but I must add that the vintage speakers have opened my eyes to what "real speakers" can do. The imaging and sense of space is just jaw dropping.

Happens every time I turn on my main rig to listen to some music. biggrin.gif
post #926 of 1258

Based on suggestions here, I decided to try some bluejeans cable speaker wire. I received the cable and it appears well built. Even though I ordered a higher gauge cable to be sure that it would fit the binding post on the speakers, it doesn't. The back of my KLH speakers only has a small screw and a small washer with "teeth." What can I do or buy to make it easier to attach the cable to speakers posts? 

 

thanks..

post #927 of 1258
Speaking of Dahlquist... Just ran into Dahlquist dq18s in excellent condition buyer wants 300 locally. Couldn't find too much regarding pricing and there was conflicting info.. However reviews that I could find stated clarity and detail which got me excited as I'm an ety guy moving to speakers

What is a reasonable offer or should I be running to pick them up at that price... Also I only have a Nad 7150 and as of yesterday a pioneer sx-650 (don't worry matt I'll soon introduce her in the receiver thread)... Will these power them reasonably well they seem to need a lot? I do plan acquiring more power in the future
post #928 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Based on suggestions here, I decided to try some bluejeans cable speaker wire. I received the cable and it appears well built. Even though I ordered a higher gauge cable to be sure that it would fit the binding post on the speakers, it doesn't. The back of my KLH speakers only has a small screw and a small washer with "teeth." What can I do or buy to make it easier to attach the cable to speakers posts? 

thanks..

Radio Shack has quality spade terminals you can use for that. I think they are stainless or something like that. Crimp to the wire and easy.
post #929 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearWant View Post

Speaking of Dahlquist... Just ran into Dahlquist dq18s in excellent condition buyer wants 300 locally. Couldn't find too much regarding pricing and there was conflicting info.. However reviews that I could find stated clarity and detail which got me excited as I'm an ety guy moving to speakers

What is a reasonable offer or should I be running to pick them up at that price... Also I only have a Nad 7150 and as of yesterday a pioneer sx-650 (don't worry matt I'll soon introduce her in the receiver thread)... Will these power them reasonably well they seem to need a lot? I do plan acquiring more power in the future

 

Not familiar with the 18s, but know the 10s are fairly power hungry (friend had them in college and drove them with GAS Ampzilla).  As a side note - many say that the DQ 20s were even better than the 10s.  Hoping I stumble on a pair to audition at some point.

post #930 of 1258

I'm struggling to place my KLH speakers in the right/best location. Ultimately this is an experiment of trial and error to find that best performance. My question is this...how important is it for the KLH or any speakers to be placed near a back wall? I speculate that this effect bass response the most. In my bedroom which is carpet...with the speakers forming a triangle with my chair and about foot from the back wall is where the KLH sound the best. 

 

I just don't have the right space in my computer room to set them up for the best sound. They are placed about two feet too high and are sitting on the bar over my computer desk with no wall behind them. 

 

 

They are not pictured here but you get the idea. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners