Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners - Page 7

post #91 of 1262
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

If you can get a pair for $100, I would RUN to get them - that's a great price.


Called him the 4th time and he answered. They were on my craigslist for 2 days, and the guy had had them for along time. They SOLDvery_evil_smiley.gif

 

post #92 of 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by cifani090 View Post

This thread was inspired by the great Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners to show all the great speakers out there that are vintage. Ill start off with my B&W DM610i and i will be soon adding a pair of Klipsch Heresy's in birch

 



I just noticed the thread.  Sorry to be late to the party.  Most everything about my life is vintage.  My main speakers are B&W original 801's in rosewood  (I subsquently upgraded the tweeter to a newer part version).  Next to me are sitting a pair of AR 3a's, but they are unfinished plywood designed for studio use (I was a starving student at the time).  I also have a pair of Jenson (or is it Janson?) that I got around 1960 as a present, but I don't feel up to digging them out to check the model number.

 

In high school I had a huge Electro-Voice (we're not talking stereo here) and horn tweeter in a mahogany cabinet that I built myself.  Wish I still had it.

post #93 of 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by cifani090 View Post

Called him the 4th time and he answered. They were on my craigslist for 2 days, and the guy had had them for along time. They SOLDvery_evil_smiley.gif

 



SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEE!

 

Or am I reading your devil smiley the wrong way?  confused.gif

 

se

 

 

post #94 of 1262
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat View Post

 

I also have a pair of Jenson (or is it Janson?) that I got around 1960 as a present, but I don't feel up to digging them out to check the model number.


You mean JanZen electrostats?

 

se

 

 

post #95 of 1262
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post





SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEE!

 

Or am I reading your devil smiley the wrong way?  confused.gif

 

se

 

 


Steve...im sorry to say... im not the ownermad.gif

 

post #96 of 1262
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavcat View Post





I just noticed the thread.  Sorry to be late to the party.  Most everything about my life is vintage.  My main speakers are B&W original 801's in rosewood  (I subsquently upgraded the tweeter to a newer part version).  Next to me are sitting a pair of AR 3a's, but they are unfinished plywood designed for studio use (I was a starving student at the time).  I also have a pair of Jenson (or is it Janson?) that I got around 1960 as a present, but I don't feel up to digging them out to check the model number.

 

In high school I had a huge Electro-Voice (we're not talking stereo here) and horn tweeter in a mahogany cabinet that I built myself.  Wish I still had it.


These are the original 801's for those who dont know what they look like.

 

post #97 of 1262
Quote:

Originally Posted by cifani090 View Post

 

Steve...im sorry to say... im not the ownermad.gif

 


Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that.

 

It was a devil SMILEY so I thought you were devilishly happy that you'd scored them.

 

Ah well. I'll put my SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEE! away and hope I can rightfully use it for you soon. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Good luck!

 

se

 

 

post #98 of 1262
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post




Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that.

 

It was a devil SMILEY so I thought you were devilishly happy that you'd scored them.

 

Ah well. I'll put my SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEE! away and hope I can rightfully use it for you soon. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Good luck!

 

se

 

 


Thanks Steve, i guess it could of been put to use when i got a pair of B&W DM610i's for $60. But for some reason they were hard to sell, and im stuck with some crappy Omega speakers and a real nice Sansui.

 

post #99 of 1262
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

I've been absolutely loving the HPM-100.  I put them on 12" high stands and they are even better.  I'm tempted to buy another pair and do a bunch of the tweaks recommended over on AudioKarma and see how they compare.


I found a pair

 

post #100 of 1262

Yep, I saw those...tempting.

post #101 of 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post




You mean JanZen electrostats?

 

se

 

 



Nope.

 

post #102 of 1262



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifani090 View Post




These are the original 801's for those who dont know what they look like.

 



Yup.

 

...but mine are rosewood.

 

post #103 of 1262
Thread Starter 

Have a pair of Pioneer CS-77A's on hold for Tuesday for $40.

post #104 of 1262

I have a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10s.

 

 

Pic (they're in the front there angled towards the recliner I'm standing behind):

 

 

 

17 (2).jpg

 

 

 

I have read that there are different sub models, but the one on this escapes me. Only thing I can see on it is Polk Audio (even that is only on the speaker screed/cover thing) and MONITOR10 in the top right cornet on the back. Above the speaker wire inputs there is a SERIAL: and then there is a piece of long plastic, with rounded edges covering it up for some strange reason. 

 

So, I have no idea if they are 10a or 10b or what, I just know they have a 1inch tweeter, 4 or 5inch mid drivers and a 10in passive radiator. I found out that its a radiator when I took it out to have it tested because it was hardly doing anything and there was like no bass you can feel type bass with these speakers and I thought maybe the 10inchers were partly blown or bad or something, and then I'm like "Oh, they're radiators, no wonder they don't really do anything."

 

I hate how they have a radiator because I love to blast hip hop music, and I want bass you can feel, and to get to that level of bass you are basically on the edge of possibly blowing the mid drivers from them flexing so much. I can see both things of rubber coming in an out 3/4inch or so. They sound amazing on vinyl though, even with bass (as long as I turn up the bass knob most of the way on my old Sony receiver) because vinyl doesn't really do boomy type bass, just nice, deep, extended bass.

 

Anyway, I still love them, and I just might have to get a pair of subwoofers for the boomy bass I am looking for. I want two (one for each side so I have stereo) and under $500 for both total would be nice. Any suggestions? Do I even need two? I've read that most stuff nowadays isn't mastered with stereo bass, and I listen to mostly indie hip hop from my hometown of KCMO so it's even less likely to have that, I bet.

post #105 of 1262

I forgot to mention how I got these. So remember that Filet o Fish super bowl commercial from 2009?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bJOIqVAD-s

 

The guy with the long black hair eating the sandwich is someone I met. His grandmother lived next door to me and she passed away, so he was around for a while to take care of the house, clean stuff up, etc (this was before the commercial BTW ;) ) and I liked big speakers so he gave me these Polk Audio Monitor 10s with a JVC R-X500 vintage receiver, and a Dual CS5000 turntable and a tape deck, the whole deal, that was his grandmothers. This was before I became a head fier or even appreciated speakers and knew anything beyond "MOAR BASS" and "louder the better". Now that I know what this stuff is and how old and legitimately vintage it is, I'm gonna take good care of it :)

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners