Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners - Page 38

post #556 of 1257

Great stuff, Rob - hard to say what you'd pay for speakers of that calibre today. Harbeth and Spendor seem to charging by the freaking pound ...... eek.gif

 

(dont know what sort of kickback Stereophile get from Harbeth, but they get a lot of ink for a small manufacturer from England)

 

For something a little friendlier in terms of real estate, the Spica TC-50 presents an interesting profile:

 

spicatc60.jpg

post #557 of 1257
Nice! That Spica is a very classic design. Cool.
post #558 of 1257
Quote:

5d3be7f8.jpg
The cabinets were a bit rough looking, but after a full treatment of Howard's Restor-a-finish and Feed'n'Wax, they look very good. Remarkably smooth sound from these big beasts. They weigh about 100 pounds each, massive magnets on the 15.7" woofers, and a true ribbon super tweeter.

Wow! Nice looking and A beast!! Congrats!!beerchug.gif

 

I think those will rock your house hard! My hpm-900 is very easy to drive and sounds huge.

 

Did you take picture after TLC? I couldn't see any scratch. How did you handle 100lb speakers? Does each speaker weight more than your B&W? My Cornwall is my heaviest speaker ans really hard to move also due to it's size.

 

Do you know more info about HPM series? I think 60, 100, 150 is first generation, then 900, 1500 the second. I saw some with super tweeter at the top separately (hpm-9000?) in this thread, are those third generation?

post #559 of 1257

Thanks Meewoo!  Yes, the pictures for sure are after my woodworking wink.gif

 

HPM-1100 was the same era as the 700 and 900 - the last era of the HPM, from 1980-1982.  More laid back than the HPM-60/100/150.

 

I had to use a dolly to wheel the 1100's into place.  But no, my B&W's are 275 lbs each! eek.gif

post #560 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybum View Post

A pair of HMP 1500 are up on CL in  my area. Damn, I'd have to sell some stuff if I wanted to pick these up. Not sure how much these usually go for.

 


5Ne5I65J53Jf3lf3H6c2a0680fbe031441486.jpg

Skylab,

Which generation is this one?

 

Wow, I never though B&W is near 300lb! eek.gif


Edited by Meewoo - 5/8/12 at 10:51am
post #561 of 1257

I think the 1500 is same generation as 100/150.

post #562 of 1257

kenwood JL-670 speakers in Coldspring

This isn't my picture, but I forgot about this model of Kenwoods I picked up a few months ago. Nothing spectacular, but for what I paid, they're amazing. And I kind of like how they look. They don't look as nice as my CS-77, but something about them (with the covers off) I like.

post #563 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

Great stuff, Rob - hard to say what you'd pay for speakers of that calibre today. Harbeth and Spendor seem to charging by the freaking pound ...... eek.gif

 

(dont know what sort of kickback Stereophile get from Harbeth, but they get a lot of ink for a small manufacturer from England)

 

For something a little friendlier in terms of real estate, the Spica TC-50 presents an interesting profile:

 

spicatc60.jpg

Very nice set up.  TC-50 and Angelus both still have fanatical followings.  And, for good reason -- Spica's are terrific speakers.

post #564 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Ruh-roh...look what followed me home...
 
5d3be7f8.jpg
 

 

 

blink.gif The Bear or the speakers? Kidding, nice pick-up for you!

post #565 of 1257
Thanks! They actually really sound very good, too. No doubt their bass is prodigious, but it's remarkably well controlled. This particular speaker has a good rep, and I'd say it's well deserved.
post #566 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Mostro View Post

Very nice set up.  TC-50 and Angelus both still have fanatical followings.  And, for good reason -- Spica's are terrific speakers.

 

I read a very recent interview with John Bau, the designer behind the TC-50, and he seemed fairly pessimistic about the future of 2-channel audio, He was asked if he had any plans to return to speaker design, and said that he lost interest the day audio became nothing more than a tool to sell video. Its not the first time I've heard that sort of sentiment from the 'old guard', but its sad when that sort of engineering talent is lost to the 2-channel community.  

post #567 of 1257

I'd like to add that I am really enjoying this thread, and I really wish Jude would consider starting a sub-forum dedicated entirely to vintage gear of all types. Granted, it might put a dent in sales for Head-Fi sponsors, but many of them already style their gear along vintage lines anyway. Just a suggestion.  biggrin.gif

post #568 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

kenwood JL-670 speakers in Coldspring

This isn't my picture, but I forgot about this model of Kenwoods I picked up a few months ago. Nothing spectacular, but for what I paid, they're amazing. And I kind of like how they look. They don't look as nice as my CS-77, but something about them (with the covers off) I like.

Wow those look in pretty good shape and gratz on your find beerchug.gif

post #569 of 1257

There is an interview of Infinity co-founder Arnie Nudell at Stereophile June 2012 (VOL. 35 NO.6).

At the end of article, Mr Nudell said:"Infinity is now a commodity. They're not much of a company anymore. It's a damn shame. We were tops."

post #570 of 1257

Hi everyone,

 

i found a pair of Pioneer HPM-100s being thrown out a few christmas' ago and i am very impressed by their sound and weight! Are they the little brother of the HPM-1500s i guess?

 

Also i have some goodmans 201s and would like to know where to have cabinet designs

 

thanks in advance ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners