Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners - Page 33

post #481 of 1257

I was wondering how much you tip the speaker delivery guy.

 

Turns out the speakers are a few hours away. Some gas money might be in order.

post #482 of 1257

I figured $25 was what I would have spent on gas if I drove, and he said he was driving past my town anyhow. It worked out well for me that way. But if the speaker delivery guy is traveling pretty far, again I'd offer to pay what I'd have spent myself, or at least half. I hope that doesn't make me sound cheap.

post #483 of 1257

I am now a full convert of big ole' speakers and after taking a gamble (auditioned 1st though hehe) on the Kenwood LSK-727 with 12" woofers i would go with stuff like these unless room prevents it beerchug.gif


Edited by trog - 2/14/12 at 5:24am
post #484 of 1257

Cool! We need pics biggrin.gif

post #485 of 1257

The HPM 1500's landed last night and I am psyched.

 

I had a brief listening session last night and I am adjusting to the sound. Very positive so far.

 

Today I hope to get them up on their stands and figure out positioning. Our living room is not that large and introducing these monsters has upset the feng  shui a bit. My partner is the decorator and organizer so I will be deferring to his needs quite a bit. I was very nervous about his reactions to this purchase but so far he has been very sweet.

 

Pics and thoughts to come in the next few days.

post #486 of 1257

Awesome!  Can't wait to see the pics.

post #487 of 1257


+1
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Awesome!  Can't wait to see the pics.



 

The audio rack is coming this week and my dad is building the stands for me (I don't have a table saw). Once its completed I'll add pics of my little setup.

post #488 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybum View Post

The HPM 1500's landed last night and I am psyched.

 

I had a brief listening session last night and I am adjusting to the sound. Very positive so far.

 

Today I hope to get them up on their stands and figure out positioning. Our living room is not that large and introducing these monsters has upset the feng  shui a bit. My partner is the decorator and organizer so I will be deferring to his needs quite a bit. I was very nervous about his reactions to this purchase but so far he has been very sweet.

 

Pics and thoughts to come in the next few days.

Courant-Dog-House.jpg
 

 

post #489 of 1257
  • Recap the HPM-100's (CHECK)
  • Get stands (CHECK)
  • Restore the SX-1250 (CHECK)

The vintage Pioneer rig is complete (for nowbigsmile_face.gif)

 

 

P1040336.JPGP1040337.JPG

post #490 of 1257

Good job!!!

 

That stand for the 1250 is especially cool.

post #491 of 1257

@ MrQ   exactly...I definitely don't want to end up in the dog house over audio. It's a fine line. Purchasing vintage speakers for myself on valentines day was a risk for sure.

post #492 of 1257
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluker View Post

  • Recap the HPM-100's (CHECK)
  • Get stands (CHECK)
  • Restore the SX-1250 (CHECK)

The vintage Pioneer rig is complete (for nowbigsmile_face.gif)

 

 

P1040336.JPGP1040337.JPG


NICE!!!!!!  Congrats.  That's awesome stuff there!

 

post #493 of 1257

Man that is a sharp setup. I should have bought the 1250 I saw last week. It went for $350 >_<

post #494 of 1257


Thanks

The stand for the 1250 is only temporary. I think I need a rack or a low bench that can support it's weight, that "cardboard box" from Target will not last plus it blocks the bottom vents.

 

I also paid $350 for mine, plus another $600 to get it tuned up and (some new caps and new transistors). My repair guy insisted that I only replace the bad caps and transistors and only with the same or exact parts. He is pretty hard core when it comes to restoration philosophy and maintaining the original sound signature. But he also said it's one of the best units he has seen in a long time and his shop is packed with a two month backlog and tons of restored units for sale (including a mint looking G-8000).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotts View Post

Man that is a sharp setup. I should have bought the 1250 I saw last week. It went for $350 >_<



 

post #495 of 1257

Where is this guy located, sluker?

 

 

Beautiful setup, btw. Where did you get your stands?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners