Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners - Page 28

post #406 of 1258

Right, the HPM-60 is a smaller cabinet that is vinyl veneer, and not wood, and a smaller woofer.  Otherwise the same.  I have a pair of HPM-60's as well, and they are very nice.

post #407 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meewoo View Post

Wow, some one got really good deal on JBL L-40. If I don't have too many speakers, I will jump on the deal at first glance.

 

Anyway, I have Pioneer HPM 60 recently picked up. I think only difference between hpm 60 and 100 is woofer size. Or maybe the wood veneer?

 

 

Recent grad from Ohio State bought them.  He's going to have a nice first system.  Saw a Micro Seiki TT in his trunk with a nice tonearm......said he picked it up for $40.  Will be using a Luxman integrated amp.
 

 

post #408 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Right, the HPM-60 is a smaller cabinet that is vinyl veneer, and not wood, and a smaller woofer.  Otherwise the same.  I have a pair of HPM-60's as well, and they are very nice.


How do you compare 60 and 100? Do you happen to have JBL L-100 also, I am very curious about HPM-100 and L-100, I learned pioneer stole the designer from JBL to develope HPM-100.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmWr75 View Post

Recent grad from Ohio State bought them.  He's going to have a nice first system.  Saw a Micro Seiki TT in his trunk with a nice tonearm......said he picked it up for $40.  Will be using a Luxman integrated amp.
 

 

This guy has nice taste! He posted on AK that you even gave him speaker stands. What a holiday gifts!!
 

 

post #409 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meewoo View Post

This guy has nice taste! He posted on AK that you even gave him speaker stands. What a holiday gifts!!


Passing on the good karma.  :-)

 

post #410 of 1258

The biggest difference between the HPM-100 and the 60 is the 100 has both more bass weight and deeper bass.  Other than that they are quite similar, but for me the extra bass matters a lot.  I prefer the 100, but both are very good.  I have not heard the JBL.

post #411 of 1258

I do have a pair of Rogers Export Monitors, circa 1976. I haven't use them for a long time but they still have a sentimental value. I used to drive them with a Quad 33/303 combo. 

 

IMG_8025.jpg


Edited by Jacques - 11/25/11 at 5:47am
post #412 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

The biggest difference between the HPM-100 and the 60 is the 100 has both more bass weight and deeper bass.  Other than that they are quite similar, but for me the extra bass matters a lot.  I prefer the 100, but both are very good.  I have not heard the JBL.


Skylab, thanks for your input!!

I didn't listen much bass heavy stuff, but I felt the bass is just a little light. But I really like the mid and clear high of those speakers. They are totally different from CS99 and CS88A I heard before. The CS99 and CS88a have muffled sound to me(I listened some 70's Sansui speakers too, and they are all muffled.), may recapping open up the sound. The HPM-60 is truly good!!

 

post #413 of 1258


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifani090 View Post


Very cool, im finally diving into right now as i got a great deal on a ADC 1600DD turntable with a Stanton EEE cartridge. FMI what does the phono stage perfect?

 



Hey Now,

 

I don't have a phono-stage (pre-amp) in the Quickie so I needed an outboard phono-stage. Most vintage receivers/amps have a phono stage (pre-amp) built in. The Margules Magenta name is not very known in the States, it is a Mexican audio company. They have been around for three generations dating back to 1926. The FZ47 pre-amp/phono-stage is a pretty good little unit. It has it's own separate power supply. Nice treble and bass is full. Decent for a budget phono pre-amp.

 

I just snagged a pair of Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (Stereo Dimensional Array Compact Reference System) speakers with stands. I think they were made from the mid-to late 80's. They didn't come with the important inter-connect cable, I called Polk and they still sell them. A bit pricey, but it was delivered to me in 3 days! WHOO-HOO talk about soundstage and 3 dimensionality. SDA is a concept that Matthew Polk came up with that is quite interesting. Here is a quick definition of these types of speakers:

 

. . . . . Later Polk speaker models used arrays of drivers, called SDA for Stereo Dimensional Array, to modify the crosstalk from the left speaker to the right ear and from the right speaker to the left ear, so as to expand the stereo image beyond the space between two stereo speakers. The SDA concept is still used in some current Polk branded speaker products. . . . . . 

 

With some recordings it doesn't do much, but on many the soundstage is incredible. Some Pink Floyd has imaging beyond my listening room way to the left and right of the speakers and deep staging. The instruments often felt a bit congested at times through the KEFs when compared to the SDA CRS+s. I don't have a large listening area, 14'x22', but I think I am going to try and find a pair of the floor standing models. Enjoying these speakers quite a bit right now tongue.gif

 

--

Finest kind,

Chris

 

 

 

post #414 of 1258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccklone View Post

Hey Now,

 

I don't have a phono-stage (pre-amp) in the Quickie so I needed an outboard phono-stage. Most vintage receivers/amps have a phono stage (pre-amp) built in. The Margules Magenta name is not very known in the States, it is a Mexican audio company. They have been around for three generations dating back to 1926. The FZ47 pre-amp/phono-stage is a pretty good little unit. It has it's own separate power supply. Nice treble and bass is full. Decent for a budget phono pre-amp.

 

I just snagged a pair of Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (Stereo Dimensional Array Compact Reference System) speakers with stands. I think they were made from the mid-to late 80's. They didn't come with the important inter-connect cable, I called Polk and they still sell them. A bit pricey, but it was delivered to me in 3 days! WHOO-HOO talk about soundstage and 3 dimensionality. SDA is a concept that Matthew Polk came up with that is quite interesting. Here is a quick definition of these types of speakers:

 

. . . . . Later Polk speaker models used arrays of drivers, called SDA for Stereo Dimensional Array, to modify the crosstalk from the left speaker to the right ear and from the right speaker to the left ear, so as to expand the stereo image beyond the space between two stereo speakers. The SDA concept is still used in some current Polk branded speaker products. . . . . . 

 

With some recordings it doesn't do much, but on many the soundstage is incredible. Some Pink Floyd has imaging beyond my listening room way to the left and right of the speakers and deep staging. The instruments often felt a bit congested at times through the KEFs when compared to the SDA CRS+s. I don't have a large listening area, 14'x22', but I think I am going to try and find a pair of the floor standing models. Enjoying these speakers quite a bit right now tongue.gif

 

--

Finest kind,

Chris


Congrats, i just confirmed with a vintage Head-Fier (cool.gif) that my SX-1250 was built in an age of great phono stages. So thats one less thing i have to think about.

 

post #415 of 1258

Hey guys,

 

This is probably not the best place to post this, but seeing that this thread has a steady flow of traffic, maybe someone will know the answer to my question.

 

Someone local to me is selling a pair of Magnepan MMG speakers for $300. He told me that they were five-years old, and in good working order. For 50% off the retail price, I figured this is a good deal.

 

Since I don't know anything about speakers, I was wondering what the typical lifespan of them are -- especially regarding Magnepan. Are there any typical things to look out for with a 5-year-old speaker, or would it be generally a good bet that these will be fine? 

 

Thank you in advance! 

 

 

post #416 of 1258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questhate View Post

Hey guys,

 

This is probably not the best place to post this, but seeing that this thread has a steady flow of traffic, maybe someone will know the answer to my question.

 

Someone local to me is selling a pair of Magnepan MMG speakers for $300. He told me that they were five-years old, and in good working order. For 50% off the retail price, I figured this is a good deal.

 

Since I don't know anything about speakers, I was wondering what the typical lifespan of them are -- especially regarding Magnepan. Are there any typical things to look out for with a 5-year-old speaker, or would it be generally a good bet that these will be fine? 

 

Thank you in advance! 


This thread fits yor question in just perfectly. Magnepan speakers you have to be very careful with, if the owner says they are good than hopefully he's not lying to you. The best way to obviously check that is to listen to them, but also take the grills off and make sure the panel speaker is looking fine and isnt broken. $300 is a good deal on them, only if they are in good working condition, otherwise $20-$50 since its about $200-300 to fix them. Also 5 years old, is conservatively not very old.

 

post #417 of 1258

Awesome. Thanks for the response. 

 

My apartment is a bit small for Magnepans, but since these seem like a good deal, I'll take a chance on them. 

 

Thanks again. 

post #418 of 1258

Most modern made Maggies are generally trouble free, it's the older ones that you have to be careful and suffer from delamination of the wires.  

post #419 of 1258
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questhate View Post

Awesome. Thanks for the response. 

 

My apartment is a bit small for Magnepans, but since these seem like a good deal, I'll take a chance on them. 

 

Thanks again. 


Did you get them? And your in Michigan, aren't you?!

 

post #420 of 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questhate View Post

Awesome. Thanks for the response. 

 

My apartment is a bit small for Magnepans, but since these seem like a good deal, I'll take a chance on them. 

 

Thanks again. 



The MMG still should sound good even in smallish room. They scale very well and if they are well kept, they will be good for years. My 1.6QR are 12 years old and still are going strong. Best of all is that Magnepan services even their older models from the 70's. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners