Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread - Page 340

post #5086 of 6379

I just pulled the trigger on a gently used pair of mk2s. Can anyone give some insight/experience on pairing them with a JDS cMoy?

 

Thanks!

post #5087 of 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

That's quite the opposite of what I and many others have found.  First of all, I believe the GR07 to be an excellent all rounder, doing well with just about any genre but perhaps master of none.  But most importantly for me, they are probably strongest in rock music due to the very good distortion guitar bite they have, not to mention percussion are rendered pretty well too.

 

Are you talking about the mk. II here or the version 1/1.1? My experience with the version 1.1 is the very opposite! Distortion guitar bite? Distorted guitars are almost shy on my mk1.1s (to avoid misunderstanding, the version just before the mkIIs were released). VC02s due to the very flat FR, have very good distorted guitar bite!

post #5088 of 6379
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec View Post

Are you talking about the mk. II here or the version 1/1.1? My experience with the version 1.1 is the very opposite! Distortion guitar bite? Distorted guitars are almost shy on my mk1.1s (to avoid misunderstanding, the version just before the mkIIs were released). VC02s due to the very flat FR, have very good distorted guitar bite!

I don't know what they changed but my GR07 mk1 had the strongest (most intense) texture, in regard to distortion guitars "bite", of any IEM I've heard. There are probably IEM's with more, but to call it dull makes me think either they really changed something along the way, or there may be something up with your pair.

Which IEM's or headpones are you coming from btw?
That might shed some light on the issue.
post #5089 of 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

I
I don't know what they changed but my GR07 mk1 had the strongest (most intense) texture, in regard to distortion guitars "bite", of any IEM I've heard. There are probably IEM's with more, but to call it dull makes me think either they really changed something along the way, or there may be something up with your pair.

Which IEM's or headpones are you coming from btw?
That might shed some light on the issue.

Actually, before my acquisition of my GR07mk1.1 I don't have a greater or even on par IEM. I have the GR06 and some brainwavz before it but those IEMs for me are even worse on the mids and are usually has mid-bass bump which I hate alot. So back on the early days of my GR07, I was only comparing it to my other high end gears MX980 and DT1350, which I can say are good on distorted guitars! They are not emphasized (well, maybe a little on my MX980) but they surely aren't shy type either! So I thought it is maybe an issue for an IEM, If it wasn't bloated like my early IEMs like cx400/GR06, it lacks air and has dull mids for distorted guitars like my GR07. Then last last week I got my VC02 and was really amazed on how neutral it sounds especially on distorted guitars. I know some users also have issues on GR07s regarding distorted guitar bite.
What's your main genre? Maybe it has to do with the fact that we (other users having issue) have listened to rock/metal/any guitar-oriented song our whole lives and we know how a guitar bite is supposed to sound.
Edited by autoexec - 5/3/13 at 8:37pm
post #5090 of 6379
What exactly is a guitar bite in terms of metal? Example would be nice smily_headphones1.gif
post #5091 of 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

What exactly is a guitar bite in terms of metal? Example would be nice smily_headphones1.gif

A great example would be Leica - The Faceless, 00:46th of the song A Murmur In Decrepit Wits - Aborted, Totla Mad (instrumental version) - Periphery... Try those songs. The guitars there should be very detailed assuming you searched for decent quality and not from youtube. They should sound like they are the subject not the other way around. With GR07s the guitars are undoubtly laid back and the song is somehow focused on the ambience instead of the instruments.. In VC02, everything sound crisp and defined!
Edited by autoexec - 5/4/13 at 12:55am
post #5092 of 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec View Post


A great example would be Leica - The Faceless, 00:46th of the song A Murmur In Decrepit Wits - Aborted, Totla Mad (instrumental version) - Periphery... Try those songs. The guitars there should be very detailed assuming you searched for decent quality and not from youtube. They should sound like they are the subject not the other way around. With GR07s the guitars are undoubtly laid back and the song is somehow focused on the ambience instead of the instruments.. In VC02, everything sound crisp and defined!

I think I got a better understanding of what you mean from those songs. I typically listen to symphonic-power metal myself but I hear the same differences from your type of metal as well. I conclude the feeling is just different.

post #5093 of 6379

So I just got my pair yesterday. Been using them for several hours and all I can say is wow... so this is what quality sound is? After all this time of using crappy headphones and IEM's... these things are absolutely amazing.

post #5094 of 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeuss1990 View Post

So I just got my pair yesterday. Been using them for several hours and all I can say is wow... so this is what quality sound is? After all this time of using crappy headphones and IEM's... these things are absolutely amazing.

It's crazy right?! Makes you kind of feel bad for all the people walking around with beats and Skullcandy stuffed in their years…
post #5095 of 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

I think I got a better understanding of what you mean from those songs. I typically listen to symphonic-power metal myself but I hear the same differences from your type of metal as well. I conclude the feeling is just different.

What I'm eager to know is if the mk.2s have more detail in the midrange like what I've read somewhere in this thread.
post #5096 of 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec View Post


What I'm eager to know is if the mk.2s have more detail in the midrange like what I've read somewhere in this thread.

I don't have the original, I only have mk2. I can't offer a comparison between mk2 and mk1 or BE. Sorry

post #5097 of 6379
Yes the mids of the mk2 is more foward then the mk1, and the bass edition is the best out of the three smily_headphones1.gif
post #5098 of 6379
Gotta love that bass edition.
post #5099 of 6379
smily_headphones1.gif
post #5100 of 6379

It's hard to believe that anyone thinks the GR07 lacks guitar crunch. To this day I haven't heard a phone that does rock or metal better than the GR07, maybe with the exception of the FI-BA-SS. Distortion guitars are very visceral, and the GR07 can throw out as much grunge as you could want. This trait is carried by all 3 iterations.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread