Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread - Page 311

post #4651 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

interesting.  you don't have any issue with sibilance? just curious...

 

Strangely enough, the treble is tame, until you come across a track that is just harsh in the GR07's hot spot. I seldom ever come across sibilance, maybe one a fortnight.

 

For instance, Sara Bareilles' "Love on the Rocks" is perfectly fine, but you can hear the sharpness on Adele's "Cold Shoulder."

post #4652 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Strangely enough, the treble is tame, until you come across a track that is just harsh in the GR07's hot spot. I seldom ever come across sibilance, maybe one a fortnight.

 

For instance, Sara Bareilles' "Love on the Rocks" is perfectly fine, but you can hear the sharpness on Adele's "Cold Shoulder."

That's cool, I wasn't as fortunate.  But as long as you're enjoying it. :-)  they sound great otherwise.   they have a nice sweet spot in the treble too, which might have to do with the sibilance, but it gives things a nice open sound...

post #4653 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

interesting.  you don't have any issue with sibilance? just curious...

 

maybe because he mainly listen to jazz?

For me, the sibilance is a bit annoying sometimes (especially with "bright" songs), but it's better after I spend more times with it. I don't know because I get used to it or because it over the burn in period. But I tends to believe that I just get used to it biggrin.gif

post #4654 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

interesting.  you don't have any issue with sibilance? just curious...


Sibilant recordings are a problem, but they are the exception; I have a vinyl rip of Joao Gilberto's 1973 album and it is terribly sibilant which is quite a shame since it's very good stuff. They do not make recordings sound sibilant, though. I use them with a J3 and usually use the flat or wide eq setting, and occasionally headphone1.

post #4655 of 6505

I think they do actually burn in, especially since they have dynamic drivers. I also think there is an element of "brain burn-in" going on as well - I think that is a part of the process of getting acclimated to any headphone no matter what type of driver is used.
 

post #4656 of 6505

I found out that if you pump the decibel up via amp the harshness disappears and what greets you is that deep thump bass. Funny way how I found out was I was watching a livestream that had terrible volume so I adjusted it accordingly on my external dac (audioengine d1) and then forgot about the adjustment I did and went and played with random music on my folder and I sort of noticed the sibilance diminishing.

 

 

Maybe just  lucky fluke or I wasnt powering these puppies right. Might be the time to invest in some serious equipment.

post #4657 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsaudiophile View Post

I found out that if you pump the decibel up via amp the harshness disappears and what greets you is that deep thump bass. Funny way how I found out was I was watching a livestream that had terrible volume so I adjusted it accordingly on my external dac (audioengine d1) and then forgot about the adjustment I did and went and played with random music on my folder and I sort of noticed the sibilance diminishing.

 

 

Maybe just  lucky fluke or I wasnt powering these puppies right. Might be the time to invest in some serious equipment.

 

This statement makes me want to buy an amp blink.gif

Currently I just use it straight from my hippo biscuit...

post #4658 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakarujakpala View Post

 

This statement makes me want to buy an amp blink.gif

Currently I just use it straight from my hippo biscuit...

 

Just keep using them. I'm somewhat agnostic about burn-in, but I've loaned my MKII to other GR07 owners, and they found zero sibilance on mine. I've used a few amps, and the difference wasn't enough to warrant the extra bulk.

 

The way you insert them also plays a part. You'll notice that the nozzle can rotate to change the insertion angle. Play with that to find what's best for you. The angle that doesn't give sibilance is the one that works best for the shape of your ear canal.

post #4659 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea71 View Post


Sibilant recordings are a problem, but they are the exception;

 

Do you mean to say only sibilant recordings are a problem?  I found this not to be the case. :-o I actually listened to some jazz and the pianos sounded unnatural because of the boost in the sibilant frequency region.  They didn't sound sibilant, but I could tell they were unnaturally boosted in that range.  I found most vocal music sibilant to different degrees.  And these are recordings I know are not sibilant in nature.  They weren't the worst I've ever heard in terms of sibilance, but compared to most other phones they have a good amount of sibilance.  Volume wasn't a factor either for me.  Obviously lower volumes won't "bother" your ears as much, but they were still just as sibilant in relation to the rest of the frequencies... :-/

 

But to each his own.  If you find they don't have sibilance for you.  Great.  Enjoy them.  But it is there.  You can even see it in graphs. :-o  But your ears are the final determination for how you enjoy music.  So it doesn't really matter if you enjoy them. :)


Edited by luisdent - 1/6/13 at 2:11pm
post #4660 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Do you mean to say only sibilant recordings are a problem?  I found this not to be the case. :-o I actually listened to some jazz and the pianos sounded unnatural because of the boost in the sibilant frequency region.  They didn't sound sibilant, but I could tell they were unnaturally boosted in that range.  I found most vocal music sibilant to different degrees.  And these are recordings I know are not sibilant in nature.  They weren't the worst I've ever heard in terms of sibilance, but compared to most other phones they have a good amount of sibilance.  Volume wasn't a factor either for me.  Obviously lower volumes won't "bother" your ears as much, but they were still just as sibilant in relation to the rest of the frequencies... :-/

 

But to each his own.  If you find they don't have sibilance for you.  Great.  Enjoy them.  But it is there.  You can even see it in graphs. :-o  But your ears are the final determination for how you enjoy music.  So it doesn't really matter if you enjoy them. :)

 

Unless you've already sold them, play with the angle of the rotating nozzle. Some have said that it's cleared up their issues entirely.

post #4661 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Unless you've already sold them, play with the angle of the rotating nozzle. Some have said that it's cleared up their issues entirely.

I don't have them any more.  However, I played with every tip and every possible fit and angle of insertion.  I'm actually pretty frustrated that I didn't know there was a rotating nozzle.  What?!

post #4662 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

I don't have them any more.  However, I played with every tip and every possible fit and angle of insertion.  I'm actually pretty frustrated that I didn't know there was a rotating nozzle.  What?!

 

Yup. The nozzle rotates so you can angle it better when you insert.

 

Pretty nifty.

post #4663 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Yup. The nozzle rotates so you can angle it better when you insert.

 

Pretty nifty.

Lame.  Not that the nozzle rotates, but that I didn't know that.  But that's o.k. because it still wasn't my "ideal" sound signature.  Great, but not exactly what I was looking for.  I've ventured onward to some higher end universals. :)  


Edited by luisdent - 1/6/13 at 4:19pm
post #4664 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

 

Just keep using them. I'm somewhat agnostic about burn-in, but I've loaned my MKII to other GR07 owners, and they found zero sibilance on mine. I've used a few amps, and the difference wasn't enough to warrant the extra bulk.

 

The way you insert them also plays a part. You'll notice that the nozzle can rotate to change the insertion angle. Play with that to find what's best for you. The angle that doesn't give sibilance is the one that works best for the shape of your ear canal.

 

Yep me too, I somewhat believe that it's just me that adapt to the sound signature. As for the amp, I'm looking for a desktop amp. For me, I don't really care about "the best" sound quality on the go, I mean with all background noise and for just casual listening (not critical listening) my portable setup is enough for me. It's just that yesterday I tried my friend's dt880 600ohms + proper amp (custom tube amps, I don't really now the specification and what not) and it blew my mind, I could never believe dt880 can sounds that good. Long story short, now I'm curious about amps. Bear with me now, I'm a total noobs in this audio worlds. So yeah, I'm quite hyped. tongue.gif

 

This freaks me up quite a bit the first time i rotate the nozzle. Well, I just want to change the tips and pressed the nozzle rather hard and it slip, I thought I broke it (ofc it's not really break lol) biggrin.gif

Currently using the smallest tips, it fits my ear perfectly. etysmile.gif

post #4665 of 6505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakarujakpala View Post

 

Yep me too, I somewhat believe that it's just me that adapt to the sound signature. As for the amp, I'm looking for a desktop amp. For me, I don't really care about "the best" sound quality on the go, I mean with all background noise and for just casual listening (not critical listening) my portable setup is enough for me. It's just that yesterday I tried my friend's dt880 600ohms + proper amp (custom tube amps, I don't really now the specification and what not) and it blew my mind, I could never believe dt880 can sounds that good. Long story short, now I'm curious about amps. Bear with me now, I'm a total noobs in this audio worlds. So yeah, I'm quite hyped. tongue.gif

 

This freaks me up quite a bit the first time i rotate the nozzle. Well, I just want to change the tips and pressed the nozzle rather hard and it slip, I thought I broke it (ofc it's not really break lol) biggrin.gif

Currently using the smallest tips, it fits my ear perfectly. etysmile.gif

I'm personally not a believer in burn-in.  I don't discount that it's possible, but I've never heard it.  And I ran the gr07 long enough to have burnt them in if that was the case and the treble never changed an iota for me. :-o :-)  i do however believe we adjust to things and become familiar with them.  in that sense i still didn't hear a change, but i have been known to before.  and even sometimes to have grown unaccustomed to a sound again after realizing it was my brain. it's amazing what you can hear when you think you hear it. :)  just a 'though' ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › VSONIC GR07 Impressions & Impressions Thread