Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Today at 6:59 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Good songs to test bass on headphones? - Page 2post #16 of 2505/6/11 at 11:34am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 2505/6/11 at 12:08pmpost #18 of 2505/6/11 at 1:05pmpost #19 of 2505/6/11 at 1:45pm
To determine bass extension and basic FR, I use test tones. Like the comment above about the simple bass line, this doesn't actually test how a headphone responds to actual bass in music, but it does tell you the limits. Other than the test tones, I listen to all kinds of music to judge the bass, some genres already mentioned, if not the particular songs. One genre not mentioned is pipe organ music. I have a triple CD of solo organ music by baroque composer Dieterich Buxtehude that has so much bass, it can't be played by an iPod without clipping.
Cibelle's first album also has plenty of bass. I was testing a sort of sensitive ortho straight from my iPod with this album and it distorted so bad the music was unrecognizable. Less bassy music was just fine.post #20 of 2505/6/11 at 2:02pmpost #21 of 2505/6/11 at 3:54pm
jennifer warnes 'way down low'. incredible bottom extension & punch. shakes goodcans enuff to resonate & tickle your ears & lesser cans to 'tick & pop" - sounds of transducer cones overextending so beware! FWIW even my HD650 cant take this at the vol i like but the HE5LE pounds so hard & deep its not only addictive but mesmerizing.post #22 of 2507/8/11 at 8:09ampost #23 of 2507/8/11 at 11:49ampost #24 of 2507/8/11 at 4:06pmpost #25 of 2507/8/11 at 4:13pmHmm, i recently just found a bassy song to use to test headphones. Check out "August" by UKF Dubstep. Quite amazing bass.
Played the song on the PS3, using my 5.1 logitech speakers, and WOW! Was there bass!!!
I placed the volume 1/5 of the way up and there was so much bass that the subwoofee hole could have blown out a candle!
Try downloading the package of 320 bitrate version !
If you do try it, hope you like it!
P.S If you want the 320 bitrate versions of the songs for August, PM me
Edited by mooshimuushi - 7/8/11 at 4:25pmpost #26 of 2507/8/11 at 4:29pm
Lily Allen's "Friend of mine" has amazing lowend both subbass and midbass, K 'Naan album Troubadour.
Edited by ZARIM - 7/9/11 at 2:58pmpost #27 of 2507/8/11 at 6:22pmpost #28 of 2507/8/11 at 6:32pmpost #29 of 2507/8/11 at 7:19pmpost #30 of 2507/11/11 at 4:36am
A song I always like to use to test headphones is Machine No. 2 By Leo Kottke. The version from Mudlark (1971). It's good for a lot of reasons. Firstly, I know the song really well, and secondly it has everything you'd want to test headphones on. The bass is rapid and has many runs up and down the fretboard, there's a lot of fast intricate fingerpicking to test the higher registers, and the drums are simple but integral (mainly bass and snare), AND the recording from mudlark has some good stereo implementation. It's also quite a good recording. It's basically my first stop when I try some new headphones.
This is youtube, so it's not gonna sound too good, but here's a link...
And along the same lines, but with vocals as well (and some incredible double bass from Danny Thompson) Springtime Promises or Light Flight by Pentangle are good choices...
Mind you, these are all folksy tunes...
Edited by greendream - 7/11/11 at 4:56am
- Good songs to test bass on headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 5 seconds ago
- › question on balanced headphones 19 seconds ago
- › Best headphones for about 400dollars 25 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 40 seconds ago
- › Fostex TH600 Cable Recommendations 47 seconds ago
- › mod: Monoporice 8323 52 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW first look at the Zero Audio DuoZA iems... 1 minute ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 2 minutes ago
- › OnePlus One 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by mscott58
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2