Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Yesterday at 4:10 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Background It’s safe to say that Massdrop has played a decent role in both introducing new products to the headphone community while highlighting others through their group-purchase...
Introduction – The original d900 from Syllable made quite a splash when it first arrived on the market. It was one of the very first fully wireless earphones ever produced. Furthermore, it was...
The Fiio E12A Mont Blanc portable headphone amplifier is a great amp for IEM's and earbuds. The sound signature is slightly on the warm side, and presents a much fuller sound and wider...
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
Good songs to test bass on headphones? - Page 2post #16 of 2535/6/11 at 11:34am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 2535/6/11 at 12:08pmpost #18 of 2535/6/11 at 1:05pmpost #19 of 2535/6/11 at 1:45pm
To determine bass extension and basic FR, I use test tones. Like the comment above about the simple bass line, this doesn't actually test how a headphone responds to actual bass in music, but it does tell you the limits. Other than the test tones, I listen to all kinds of music to judge the bass, some genres already mentioned, if not the particular songs. One genre not mentioned is pipe organ music. I have a triple CD of solo organ music by baroque composer Dieterich Buxtehude that has so much bass, it can't be played by an iPod without clipping.
Cibelle's first album also has plenty of bass. I was testing a sort of sensitive ortho straight from my iPod with this album and it distorted so bad the music was unrecognizable. Less bassy music was just fine.post #20 of 2535/6/11 at 2:02pmpost #21 of 2535/6/11 at 3:54pm
jennifer warnes 'way down low'. incredible bottom extension & punch. shakes goodcans enuff to resonate & tickle your ears & lesser cans to 'tick & pop" - sounds of transducer cones overextending so beware! FWIW even my HD650 cant take this at the vol i like but the HE5LE pounds so hard & deep its not only addictive but mesmerizing.post #22 of 2537/8/11 at 8:09ampost #23 of 2537/8/11 at 11:49ampost #24 of 2537/8/11 at 4:06pmpost #25 of 2537/8/11 at 4:13pmHmm, i recently just found a bassy song to use to test headphones. Check out "August" by UKF Dubstep. Quite amazing bass.
Played the song on the PS3, using my 5.1 logitech speakers, and WOW! Was there bass!!!
I placed the volume 1/5 of the way up and there was so much bass that the subwoofee hole could have blown out a candle!
Try downloading the package of 320 bitrate version !
If you do try it, hope you like it!
P.S If you want the 320 bitrate versions of the songs for August, PM me
Edited by mooshimuushi - 7/8/11 at 4:25pmpost #26 of 2537/8/11 at 4:29pm
Lily Allen's "Friend of mine" has amazing lowend both subbass and midbass, K 'Naan album Troubadour.
Edited by ZARIM - 7/9/11 at 2:58pmpost #27 of 2537/8/11 at 6:22pmpost #28 of 2537/8/11 at 6:32pmpost #29 of 2537/8/11 at 7:19pmpost #30 of 2537/11/11 at 4:36am
A song I always like to use to test headphones is Machine No. 2 By Leo Kottke. The version from Mudlark (1971). It's good for a lot of reasons. Firstly, I know the song really well, and secondly it has everything you'd want to test headphones on. The bass is rapid and has many runs up and down the fretboard, there's a lot of fast intricate fingerpicking to test the higher registers, and the drums are simple but integral (mainly bass and snare), AND the recording from mudlark has some good stereo implementation. It's also quite a good recording. It's basically my first stop when I try some new headphones.
This is youtube, so it's not gonna sound too good, but here's a link...
And along the same lines, but with vocals as well (and some incredible double bass from Danny Thompson) Springtime Promises or Light Flight by Pentangle are good choices...
Mind you, these are all folksy tunes...
Edited by greendream - 7/11/11 at 4:56am
- Good songs to test bass on headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › SoundMAGIC Vento P55 (New & Refined) Head-Fi Reviewers Wanted! 21 seconds ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 52 seconds ago
- › Schiit Modi Multibit DAC 1 minute ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › HiFiMAN HE1000 1 minute ago
- › Hidition NT-6 Custom IEM Review: The Ultimate Reference? 3 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 4 minutes ago
- › VPI Industries 30th Anniversary Classic Black Oak 4 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD Carbon Fiber Headband Free Shipping and PayPal fees... 4 minutes ago
- › ejong7's Meet, Show and Factory Tour Impressions 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...