Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Today at 1:44 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Purchased these this week, and had them replaced with another set - which exhibited the same flaw. Two may be a curse, but they both did the same thing so I would be wary. When on standby,...
Synopsis: The RD3 is part of the next generation of earphones from Rhapsodio. Powered by a single high-end dynamic driver, it has a warm sound and a hearty bass response. The RD3’s design...
Synopsis: The Spectrum Series G10 is the next generation universal fit stage monitor from Future Sonics. Replacing the Atrio with a new driver, housing, and cables, the G10 surpasses it in detail...
Introduction: I received the Cayin N6 as a tour unit that was generously provided by CTC Audio. CTC Audio focuses on making brands that aren’t as accessible in North America, mostly from Asia,...
The Shure SE215 is the first IEM I owned and was the one that brought me in head-fi. I got mine for around $95 at the time after reading some reviews online here and there. Since then, I've learned...
Good songs to test bass on headphones? - Page 2post #16 of 2515/6/11 at 11:34am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 2515/6/11 at 12:08pmpost #18 of 2515/6/11 at 1:05pmpost #19 of 2515/6/11 at 1:45pm
To determine bass extension and basic FR, I use test tones. Like the comment above about the simple bass line, this doesn't actually test how a headphone responds to actual bass in music, but it does tell you the limits. Other than the test tones, I listen to all kinds of music to judge the bass, some genres already mentioned, if not the particular songs. One genre not mentioned is pipe organ music. I have a triple CD of solo organ music by baroque composer Dieterich Buxtehude that has so much bass, it can't be played by an iPod without clipping.
Cibelle's first album also has plenty of bass. I was testing a sort of sensitive ortho straight from my iPod with this album and it distorted so bad the music was unrecognizable. Less bassy music was just fine.post #20 of 2515/6/11 at 2:02pmpost #21 of 2515/6/11 at 3:54pm
jennifer warnes 'way down low'. incredible bottom extension & punch. shakes goodcans enuff to resonate & tickle your ears & lesser cans to 'tick & pop" - sounds of transducer cones overextending so beware! FWIW even my HD650 cant take this at the vol i like but the HE5LE pounds so hard & deep its not only addictive but mesmerizing.post #22 of 2517/8/11 at 8:09ampost #23 of 2517/8/11 at 11:49ampost #24 of 2517/8/11 at 4:06pmpost #25 of 2517/8/11 at 4:13pmHmm, i recently just found a bassy song to use to test headphones. Check out "August" by UKF Dubstep. Quite amazing bass.
Played the song on the PS3, using my 5.1 logitech speakers, and WOW! Was there bass!!!
I placed the volume 1/5 of the way up and there was so much bass that the subwoofee hole could have blown out a candle!
Try downloading the package of 320 bitrate version !
If you do try it, hope you like it!
P.S If you want the 320 bitrate versions of the songs for August, PM me
Edited by mooshimuushi - 7/8/11 at 4:25pmpost #26 of 2517/8/11 at 4:29pm
Lily Allen's "Friend of mine" has amazing lowend both subbass and midbass, K 'Naan album Troubadour.
Edited by ZARIM - 7/9/11 at 2:58pmpost #27 of 2517/8/11 at 6:22pmpost #28 of 2517/8/11 at 6:32pmpost #29 of 2517/8/11 at 7:19pmpost #30 of 2517/11/11 at 4:36am
A song I always like to use to test headphones is Machine No. 2 By Leo Kottke. The version from Mudlark (1971). It's good for a lot of reasons. Firstly, I know the song really well, and secondly it has everything you'd want to test headphones on. The bass is rapid and has many runs up and down the fretboard, there's a lot of fast intricate fingerpicking to test the higher registers, and the drums are simple but integral (mainly bass and snare), AND the recording from mudlark has some good stereo implementation. It's also quite a good recording. It's basically my first stop when I try some new headphones.
This is youtube, so it's not gonna sound too good, but here's a link...
And along the same lines, but with vocals as well (and some incredible double bass from Danny Thompson) Springtime Promises or Light Flight by Pentangle are good choices...
Mind you, these are all folksy tunes...
Edited by greendream - 7/11/11 at 4:56am
- Good songs to test bass on headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 44 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 3 minutes ago
- › Where to Find Legal Lossless Downloads 4 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio L2 6 minutes ago
- › Grado SR225e owner: Sr325e vs PS500e vs RS2e - which way to upgrade? 6 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 8 minutes ago
- › Why are HD700's ~$500 8 minutes ago
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › VSONIC GR07 by MRC001
- › Tube Amp LF-15 by ClieOS
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3