i don't listen to rap or dubstep or anything, but when i want to test the response and texture of bass on new headphones, i usually go straight to ayreon's "dream sequencer" album, it's got tons of deep, heavy synth that can be almost overwhelming.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 1/7/13 at 1:31am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommendations for Over-Ear headphones around $80-100 available in Canada Last post on 11/17/12 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best over the ear headphones under $200 Last post on 12/16/12 at 12:47pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
Good songs to test bass on headphones? - Page 10
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #137 of 2222/28/13 at 3:43pmpost #138 of 2222/28/13 at 6:39pm
My favorite track to test bass is "The Trick is to Keep Breathing" by Garbage. It doesn't have a ton of bass, but the chorus has some extremely deep, subtle, sub-bass in the background. The song helps to separate out the headphones that actually have good extension and impact from the ones that just have a mid-bass hump.post #139 of 2223/1/13 at 10:41pmpost #140 of 2223/1/13 at 11:11pmpost #141 of 2223/2/13 at 12:07ampost #142 of 2223/2/13 at 12:25amQuote:
YYZ by Rush would be an excellent test.post #143 of 2223/2/13 at 12:27ampost #144 of 2223/2/13 at 12:00pm
A lot of these recommended tracks just have loud bass not deep bass. Deep bass (sub 50Hz) comes from big instrument like church organ, big field drum, canons etc. My test track is the Gladiator soundtrack. When it is playing the speakers are pushing so much air, it feels like a fan is blowing. The key to this test is not just listening for the bass, but to listen to see if the bass screwed the other instruments. This is a very busy album.
For extreme testing, I would recommend Telarc's two offering; Frederick Fennel's Cleveland Symphony Winds and Eric Kunzel's 1812 overture. Most equipment cannot handle these. When they first came out there is a warning on the album; this album might damage your equipment. There is a large field drum in Cleveland Wind and a Cannon in 1812 overture. The dynamic range is so large that at average listening level, when the bass kicked in , it literally shakes glasses off the shelf. I would recommend start at a very low volume and increase it when you are comfortable with it. Be careful, for it might damage your hearing.
For those of you that are not familiar with low bass, the bass on a LP goes wider than normal tracks. The bass track on these LP are at least a couple of mm. Most phono cartridges cannot handle them and will just fly off. I've seen it happened.post #145 of 2223/4/13 at 5:13am
No real deep bass on this jazzy funky track, but i reckon it's quite a good test for bass control/tightness. Too loose and it sounds like one lumpy bass note.
George Duke: 500 Miles To Go. (obviously, not so good via Youtube's low-fi sound.)
Edited by CaptainRedBeard - 3/4/13 at 5:14ampost #146 of 2223/4/13 at 6:03amQuote:
To test bass on headphones, nothing beats a... bass test : http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php (check out the very first test in the series)post #147 of 2223/4/13 at 8:40amGimme that punk by audio bullies. Buyou-kerry hilson. Ghost and stuff-deadmau5. Live my life- far east movement ft. Justin bieber and lmfao is a very great song because it has very differencial bass thumps. Iam not a audiophile or professional but i think only bass testing is not enough for proper sound testing for earphone.... U should listen to every genre just like rock, punkrock, pop, metal. More bass would always dominate th mids and highs of any song dats why u should try at least mpost #148 of 2223/4/13 at 8:41ampost #149 of 2223/4/13 at 8:52am
- Good songs to test bass on headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › 8 years ago . . . 9 seconds ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 28 seconds ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 52 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › How to switch from analog setup to digital setup? 1 minute ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › **MrSpeakers Mad Dog: Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 2 minutes ago
- › Dark Voice 339 2 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude