i don't listen to rap or dubstep or anything, but when i want to test the response and texture of bass on new headphones, i usually go straight to ayreon's "dream sequencer" album, it's got tons of deep, heavy synth that can be almost overwhelming.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recommendations for Over-Ear headphones around $80-100 available in Canada Last post on 11/17/12 at 11:37am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Review of the CEntrance HiFi M8 LX LX model = Optical input The CEntrance HiFi M8 has a lot of connection and feature combinations. This is the LX / XLR version. What is the...
Before I start my review, I wold like to Thank Penon Audio for providing me with a review loaner of DITA Audio The Answer headphones in exchange for my honest opinion. I tested and reviewed a...
Integrated amplifiers. We all know what they are, right? The classic definition involves having a power amplifier and a preamplifier integrated into the same chassis. Hence the name. It...
Will keep this review short but these are my impressions after a week of listening to a range of FLAC and a few HD files of every main genre of music: Sources used: FiiO X5 Sony...
Take the well received Akg K545, and add 50 dollars for a mic, amp, nfc, battery and Bluetooth capability. Is it worth it? TLDR, if you don’t have an amp and/or want bluetooth, put this in your top...
Good songs to test bass on headphones? - Page 10
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #137 of 2472/28/13 at 3:43pmpost #138 of 2472/28/13 at 6:39pm
My favorite track to test bass is "The Trick is to Keep Breathing" by Garbage. It doesn't have a ton of bass, but the chorus has some extremely deep, subtle, sub-bass in the background. The song helps to separate out the headphones that actually have good extension and impact from the ones that just have a mid-bass hump.post #139 of 2473/1/13 at 10:41pmpost #140 of 2473/1/13 at 11:11pmpost #141 of 2473/2/13 at 12:07ampost #142 of 2473/2/13 at 12:25amQuote:
YYZ by Rush would be an excellent test.post #143 of 2473/2/13 at 12:27ampost #144 of 2473/2/13 at 12:00pm
A lot of these recommended tracks just have loud bass not deep bass. Deep bass (sub 50Hz) comes from big instrument like church organ, big field drum, canons etc. My test track is the Gladiator soundtrack. When it is playing the speakers are pushing so much air, it feels like a fan is blowing. The key to this test is not just listening for the bass, but to listen to see if the bass screwed the other instruments. This is a very busy album.
For extreme testing, I would recommend Telarc's two offering; Frederick Fennel's Cleveland Symphony Winds and Eric Kunzel's 1812 overture. Most equipment cannot handle these. When they first came out there is a warning on the album; this album might damage your equipment. There is a large field drum in Cleveland Wind and a Cannon in 1812 overture. The dynamic range is so large that at average listening level, when the bass kicked in , it literally shakes glasses off the shelf. I would recommend start at a very low volume and increase it when you are comfortable with it. Be careful, for it might damage your hearing.
For those of you that are not familiar with low bass, the bass on a LP goes wider than normal tracks. The bass track on these LP are at least a couple of mm. Most phono cartridges cannot handle them and will just fly off. I've seen it happened.post #145 of 2473/4/13 at 5:13am
No real deep bass on this jazzy funky track, but i reckon it's quite a good test for bass control/tightness. Too loose and it sounds like one lumpy bass note.
George Duke: 500 Miles To Go. (obviously, not so good via Youtube's low-fi sound.)
Edited by CaptainRedBeard - 3/4/13 at 5:14ampost #146 of 2473/4/13 at 6:03amQuote:
To test bass on headphones, nothing beats a... bass test : http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php (check out the very first test in the series)post #147 of 2473/4/13 at 8:40amGimme that punk by audio bullies. Buyou-kerry hilson. Ghost and stuff-deadmau5. Live my life- far east movement ft. Justin bieber and lmfao is a very great song because it has very differencial bass thumps. Iam not a audiophile or professional but i think only bass testing is not enough for proper sound testing for earphone.... U should listen to every genre just like rock, punkrock, pop, metal. More bass would always dominate th mids and highs of any song dats why u should try at least mpost #148 of 2473/4/13 at 8:41ampost #149 of 2473/4/13 at 8:52am
- Good songs to test bass on headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The discovery thread.! NEW DannyBai's take on the new Yamaha EPH... 10 seconds ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 44 seconds ago
- › Some HOT Science From Synergistic Research 1 minute ago
- › Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread 5 minutes ago
- › Discolouration of Headphones that Aren't Black? 5 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 5 minutes ago
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by CasperBxl
- › DITA Audio The Answer by twister6
- › Questyle CMA800i - integrated DAC, headphone amp, and preamp by project86
- › InEar StageDiver SD-3 by Krisman
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by cs098
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by bodopopa
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by suman134
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by mlthelasher
- › Takstar TS-671 by paal0
- › Geben iDA-1 Portable Amp/DAC for iDevices by JoeDoe
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)