i don't listen to rap or dubstep or anything, but when i want to test the response and texture of bass on new headphones, i usually go straight to ayreon's "dream sequencer" album, it's got tons of deep, heavy synth that can be almost overwhelming.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- "The Lab" Last post on Today at 7:02 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Looking for an 'almost perfect' headphone under ~250$ Last post on 6/1/14 at 10:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I need your help Last post on 12/31/12 at 3:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best on or around ear headphones for iPhone and digital piano Last post on 11/26/12 at 5:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- BALDOOR Medusa - new fashion on-ear headphone from China (soon to be released, it seems)! Last post on 5/4/14 at 9:23pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have used the Sony MDR-7506s as long as I can remember. I do Front-of-House (FOH) mixing for bands, and these phones have been by my side for many years. Some people hate the cable, i like...
My my, how time flies. It’s been over a year - and similarly over 136K views - since I wrote my original review for the Beryllium Xiaomi Pistons 2.0, or Xiaomi MK301. During the past year, I’ve...
Level: Amateur Mostly Experience: First Personal Pair We can all agree it's been reviewed too much? Good. My turn please... I'm aware of the reputation these carry, how audio should sound...
I wrote this on Amazon, thought I'd share it with you all. Please, ask questions. Audio Technica has crafted a pair of headphones that might make you second guess your pair of MX50s, or any...
I realize it is a bit of apples vs oranges, but I will compare these to the Sennheiser HD 600 sound, since I sometimes use those to mix recordings with, and many know their sound. Assuming good...
Good songs to test bass on headphones? - Page 10
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #137 of 2502/28/13 at 3:43pmpost #138 of 2502/28/13 at 6:39pm
My favorite track to test bass is "The Trick is to Keep Breathing" by Garbage. It doesn't have a ton of bass, but the chorus has some extremely deep, subtle, sub-bass in the background. The song helps to separate out the headphones that actually have good extension and impact from the ones that just have a mid-bass hump.post #139 of 2503/1/13 at 10:41pmpost #140 of 2503/1/13 at 11:11pmpost #141 of 2503/2/13 at 12:07ampost #142 of 2503/2/13 at 12:25amQuote:
YYZ by Rush would be an excellent test.post #143 of 2503/2/13 at 12:27ampost #144 of 2503/2/13 at 12:00pm
A lot of these recommended tracks just have loud bass not deep bass. Deep bass (sub 50Hz) comes from big instrument like church organ, big field drum, canons etc. My test track is the Gladiator soundtrack. When it is playing the speakers are pushing so much air, it feels like a fan is blowing. The key to this test is not just listening for the bass, but to listen to see if the bass screwed the other instruments. This is a very busy album.
For extreme testing, I would recommend Telarc's two offering; Frederick Fennel's Cleveland Symphony Winds and Eric Kunzel's 1812 overture. Most equipment cannot handle these. When they first came out there is a warning on the album; this album might damage your equipment. There is a large field drum in Cleveland Wind and a Cannon in 1812 overture. The dynamic range is so large that at average listening level, when the bass kicked in , it literally shakes glasses off the shelf. I would recommend start at a very low volume and increase it when you are comfortable with it. Be careful, for it might damage your hearing.
For those of you that are not familiar with low bass, the bass on a LP goes wider than normal tracks. The bass track on these LP are at least a couple of mm. Most phono cartridges cannot handle them and will just fly off. I've seen it happened.post #145 of 2503/4/13 at 5:13am
No real deep bass on this jazzy funky track, but i reckon it's quite a good test for bass control/tightness. Too loose and it sounds like one lumpy bass note.
George Duke: 500 Miles To Go. (obviously, not so good via Youtube's low-fi sound.)
Edited by CaptainRedBeard - 3/4/13 at 5:14ampost #146 of 2503/4/13 at 6:03amQuote:
To test bass on headphones, nothing beats a... bass test : http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php (check out the very first test in the series)post #147 of 2503/4/13 at 8:40amGimme that punk by audio bullies. Buyou-kerry hilson. Ghost and stuff-deadmau5. Live my life- far east movement ft. Justin bieber and lmfao is a very great song because it has very differencial bass thumps. Iam not a audiophile or professional but i think only bass testing is not enough for proper sound testing for earphone.... U should listen to every genre just like rock, punkrock, pop, metal. More bass would always dominate th mids and highs of any song dats why u should try at least mpost #148 of 2503/4/13 at 8:41ampost #149 of 2503/4/13 at 8:52am
- Good songs to test bass on headphones?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Music Game IX 13 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 14 seconds ago
- › The Ponomusic PonoPlayer Impressions Thread 24 seconds ago
- › High-End Earbuds (Dasetn, Tingo, Blox, Yuin etc) and Earbud Gear... 32 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 32 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › FS: Superlux HD-681 Over Ear Headphones with Velour Pads (unmodded) 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by Rashmosh
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by ahnvx
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by LonghornTech
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Zobel
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2