yep it's pretty much between the Grado's, AKG 240's, and Senn 280's at this point. Probably gonna wait for a good deal to pop up, but I'm really leaning towards the Grados.
Related Forum Threads
- Shure SRH940 or Ultrasone or other? Last post on 6/8/11 at 1:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Budget Headphone Odyssey: HD555 vs. SRH440 vs. K240S vs. DJ100 Last post on 12/14/10 at 1:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help me to choose which headphones to buy! Last post on 11/28/12 at 4:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 380 pro: love it or hate it? Last post on 10/16/12 at 1:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Philip Citiscapes for $40 Last post on 9/6/12 at 10:37pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Introduction I have owned these headphones for four years now. These were my first decent pair that I researched before buying. Before this I had just bought inexpensive headphones that happened...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we're going to be checking out a wireless Bluetooth speaker from Archeer, the A320. Archeer sells a pretty wide variety of products like cellphone cases, headphones,...
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
Headphones for under $100 for mixing and listening - Page 2post #16 of 224/29/11 at 9:23amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 224/29/11 at 9:37amSeconding the Sony MDR-7506 (or the debatably identical and usually cheaper V6). The Shure SRH440 and Audio-Technica ATH-M30, though less popular than their big brothers, are also worth consideration.
Don't try to mix with Grados. They're fun, but nowhere near flat.post #18 of 224/29/11 at 7:03pmQuote:
Of course I'm serious. If you know people who mix exclusively on headphones, good for them, as long as their clients are happy, that's all that matters....
post #19 of 225/1/11 at 6:39pmThread Starterpost #20 of 226/15/11 at 9:01am
Headphones are great for mixing. There is no better way to get a feel for the sound field than with 'phones. I like a nice wide stage. Levels can get pretty close with headphones but the final listening-to NEEDS to be on good monitors.
BTW, I still vote AKG K240s for anything but recording vocals with a condenser mic.post #21 of 226/15/11 at 1:52pmpost #22 of 224/25/16 at 5:28am
I would absolutely *not* go with the Sennheiser HD-280. They are fine for tracking but have a weird boxy coloration and overdamped bass. Go with an open back design like the Sennheiser HD 598 or AKG K240.
And it's fine to mix with uncolored headphones, once you've listened to known material through the same phones and gotten a good feeling for what it should sound like. Nobody relies on a single source for mixing anyway, so you would want to check the mix on good monitors, car speakers, ear buds, etc.
- Headphones for under $100 for mixing and listening
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 42 seconds ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 1 minute ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Looking for comfortable nice sonding Headphones that don't need... 3 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS... 3 minutes ago
- › AUDEZE LCD XC 4 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 5 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K240 MKII Headphones by Napalmhardcore
- › ARCHEER 25W Bluetooth Home Speakers with Huge Bass and Superior... by B9Scrambler
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear