Hi there, well I'm done lurking and I'm signing up. I'm sure you guys have seen this thread a million times over but I need a little help. Seems as though most headphones in the sub-$100 range emphasize the low end, and that's something I'm trying to avoid as I plan on mixing music with these headphones. While i'm not looking for the dryest sounding headphones possible, I would like a relatively flat frequency response. I mostly listen to classic rock, prog, psychedelic and some modernish hard rock. Again, I'm sorry if you guys are tired of these threads, but there are a lot of options out there with lots of mixed reviews, probably due to different tastes and applications I'm guessing so I thought I'd ask here and be specific with what I'm looking for. From the reviews I've read, I'm leaning towards the AKG 240's, Sennheiser HD280's, and Grado SR60's. The reviews for the sound with the Grados seem to fit my style, but I'd really like a closed headphone type deal. As for the low budget... I'm in college, not much I can do about that
Related Forum Threads
- Shure SRH940 or Ultrasone or other? Last post on 6/8/11 at 1:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Budget Headphone Odyssey: HD555 vs. SRH440 vs. K240S vs. DJ100 Last post on 12/14/10 at 1:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Shopping for a new pair under $100. Really bad luck so far. Last post on 8/21/12 at 4:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- A True Test by Musician... ATH-M50 vs SR60i vs HD280 vs MDR-V6 vs SRH440, vs ??? Last post on 10/5/13 at 2:01am in Headphones (full-size)
- First foray into the audiophile world. I've read some recommendations, now I'm trying... Last post on 7/11/12 at 4:36am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
Headphones for under $100 for mixing and listening
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 214/26/11 at 5:08pm
The 240's are also open, U can get a set of shure 840's used for around 100 (i picked up a pair of the fs section yesterday for 105), there on the more neut. side without killing all the fun.post #3 of 214/26/11 at 5:16pmpost #4 of 214/26/11 at 5:51pm
Mixing is really REALLY difficult to do on headphones, things just don't translate well. You would be better off doing that even on a crappy set of speakers. Having said that, while I'm not familiar with the SR-60's, I use Grado's for tracking where speakers aren't possible, editing, and checking mixes for extraneous noises.post #5 of 214/26/11 at 6:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by rjaudio
Mixing is really REALLY difficult to do on headphones, things just don't translate well. You would be better off doing that even on a crappy set of speakers. Having said that, while I'm not familiar with the SR-60's, I use Grado's for tracking where speakers aren't possible, editing, and checking mixes for extraneous noises.
Are you serious? i know people who use heaphones for mixing. There are advantages, and disadvantages..post #6 of 214/26/11 at 8:52pmThread Starter
I've heard to mix with both headphones and monitors... and I would think a quality pair of headphones would take you further than a crappy set of speakers. Depends on how crappy you mean, I guess. But I gotta say, this would be for about 5% mixing, 95% listeningpost #7 of 214/26/11 at 9:06pm
I mix with headphones but listen in between with monitors to make sure. 'phones help me get it balanced in stereo and nitpick while the monitors give me a good realistic view of what people will hear.
Anywhoo, I just got my first pair of AKG K240Ms today and they are the slightest bit bass happy but overall translate it very musically. They are my favorite reasonably priced 'phones. Mine cost me $50 but the foam behind the cloth was disintegrated. I pulled off the cloth, scraped off the foam, and put it back. The pads hold it in just fine. You can get an old set of K240s for practically nothing but understand that they may need slight TLC (elastic, pads, cord, etc...).
Bang for buck, I say the K240 line. Take your pick of the individual models offered to match your taste. Im a musician so I take to the K240Ms for listening and K240DFs for mixing and such.post #8 of 214/26/11 at 9:51pmpost #9 of 214/26/11 at 10:40pmpost #10 of 214/27/11 at 8:21ampost #11 of 214/27/11 at 4:27pmThread Starterpost #12 of 214/27/11 at 4:31pmpost #13 of 214/28/11 at 12:50pmThread Starterpost #14 of 214/28/11 at 9:21pmpost #15 of 214/28/11 at 10:14pm
I would go with the 280's, I have had my pair for 4 years now and they absolutely blow away everything else I have heard sound quality wise. I also have the HD555's (modded to 595's), however I am pretty let down by the lack of midrange clarity in these, good mid-bass and excellent highs but has a massive hole in the middle of the sound spectrum which makes them sound unbalanced and lopsided.
I use the 280's all the time when creating music with my Korg keyboard workstation, however I have come to find out that the music I create using the headphones sounds completely different (often unacceptable) when I listen to it through regular speakers. Probably because the headphones are so perfectly balanced and clear that even audiophile speakers cannot reproduce it as well as the headphones can.
- Headphones for under $100 for mixing and listening
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › ColorFly C4 - Lots of Questions and Issues on Not Working!!! 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 2 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 4 minutes ago
- › For Sale: Mint Beyerdynamic T90 (AU only + Free Shipping!) 6 minutes ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 9 minutes ago
- › New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC" 10 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude