or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 654

post #9796 of 18022

Gah, I'm too excited. If the Liquid Glass is at all reminescent of the Liquid Fire I heard at the ALO Audio meet, I will be in for a big treat.

 

By the way, to go back a few years when I first heard the HE-500 out of this bad boy at ALO Audio and recently as well, stil the HE-500 at its pinncale. 

 

post #9797 of 18022
Originally Posted by Austin Morrow View Post
 

Have any of guys heard the Fosgate Signature Tube Headphone Amplifier? I'm supposed to be getting one after CES, just want to know if anyone in here has heard it or not...

 

Skylab reviewed it (fairly recently) at Inner Fidelity.. I've had my eye on it for some time, too.. I just wish it was priced at/under $1K.

post #9798 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Morrow View Post
 

Gah, I'm too excited. If the Liquid Glass is at all reminescent of the Liquid Fire I heard at the ALO Audio meet, I will be in for a big treat.

 

By the way, to go back a few years when I first heard the HE-500 out of this bad boy at ALO Audio and recently as well, stil the HE-500 at its pinncale. 

 

 

The Stingray is a fantastic amp. Just heard it with speakers so far, but would definitely be interesting with the HE-500.

post #9799 of 18022
Got this mail from the builder of my amp..and i dont wanna sound stupid so i ask u guys:

Paulo
Just for you inform you I am building the power supply and its transformer is too big to fit into a 3" dia pipe. We have to use a 4" dia pipe instead. The lenght will be about 6" to 7" long but the xact
length to be determined.


So whats a transformer? I know they built the powersupply external for two reasons
1. its to big to fit inside the case and
2. it lowers the noise level being external.

But whats a transformer?
Thanks for explaining guys!
post #9800 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

Got this mail from the builder of my amp..and i dont wanna sound stupid so i ask u guys:

Paulo
Just for you inform you I am building the power supply and its transformer is too big to fit into a 3" dia pipe. We have to use a 4" dia pipe instead. The lenght will be about 6" to 7" long but the xact
length to be determined.


So whats a transformer? I know they built the powersupply external for two reasons
1. its to big to fit inside the case and
2. it lowers the noise level being external.

But whats a transformer?
Thanks for explaining guys!


In simplest terms, it converts voltage to current or vice versa depending if it's step-up or step-down. By convert I mean something like V1 x I1 = V2 x I2.


Edited by Sonido - 12/11/13 at 11:11pm
post #9801 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post


Since you've been reading posts, do you have anything against the Emotiva?

No, actually after I bought my HE500, first thing I do is build a cable with banana jack and connect it to my AVR receiver (Sony STR DN840) 100W per channel. Indeed no problem occurs except a little fuzzz but I realize that same fuzz also in my speaker. It means AVR it self creates a little fuzz (buzz).

 

I've no problem to use stereo amp. But main problem is international shipping cost of Emotiva is 100 USD. So total price will be 270 USD. But Lyr is 449 USD and my frind who lives in USA will come at January so he can bring Lyr but Emotiva is too big to carry in a baggage.

 

Lyr --> 449 USD

Emotiva Mini X A 100 --> 270 USD

Marantz PM6004 (Stereo Amp) --> 450 USD and I can easily buy it from local store.

 

Which one is the best option ? 

(Or is it worth to buy Creek Evolution 50A (Very good stereo amp) but it costs 1000 USD --> this would be also use for stereo stereo setup I've Monitor Audio RX1 speaker)

 

Thanks.

 

Here is my cable (cheap but good for trying)


Edited by Makaan - 12/11/13 at 11:33pm
post #9802 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post


In simplest terms, it converts voltage to current or vice versa depending if it's step-up or step-down. By convert I mean something like V1 x I1 = V2 x I2.
Thanks my friend.. I still dont get it completely..but i get the big picture wink.gif
post #9803 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 


Ok so according to that calculator earlier, it calculated out about -12 dB attenuation with the HE-Adapter. That's about half the perceived volume, so does that mean it gives me about twice the control on the volume knob? Or does it essentially cut the hiss volume in half at any given volume level?

 

I must admit that I'm a bit confused as well. I thought the HE adapter was designed to give a speaker load close to 8 ohms, but according to the calculator it's close to 33 ohms :confused: 

post #9804 of 18022

I ordered Emotiva mini X A100 today. So my case is closed. Thanks to my friend will carry Emotiva in his baggage. 

I think I did my best. Lyr, EF5 or Burson 160, all these options has a some question mark. But I will be always wonder how is a tube amp sound.

post #9805 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Thanks my friend.. I still dont get it completely..but i get the big picture wink.gif

 

Big picture look below.  What sets the mini-X and most speaker amps apart from most headphones amps are the size of the transformers.  The transformer in the mini-X is bigger than some headphone amps - yes the whole amp.  The Transformer in my F1J is hugh I mean this things weighs a tons. Also, this is where the current is stored when it's needed.  So the bigger the transformer the more current you "should" have in reserve.

 

All the transformers below are small compared to the ones in speaker amps.

 

 

 


Edited by preproman - 12/12/13 at 4:37am
post #9806 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Morrow View Post
 

Have any of guys heard the Fosgate Signature Tube Headphone Amplifier? I'm supposed to be getting one after CES, just want to know if anyone in here has heard it or not...


I run it with my HD800, it is amazing sounding.

post #9807 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaan View Post

I ordered Emotiva mini X A100 today. So my case is closed. Thanks to my friend will carry Emotiva in his baggage. 
I think I did my best. Lyr, EF5 or Burson 160, all these options has a some question mark. But I will be always wonder how is a tube amp sound.

Tube preamp biggrin.gif
post #9808 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post


Tube preamp biggrin.gif

Yes good solution. 

Maybe a year later :)

post #9809 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaan View Post

Yes good solution. 
Maybe a year later smily_headphones1.gif
I'm using the Bottlehead Quickie that costs $99, and it sounds great. Only caveats are that you have to build it and solder it together yourself, and that it runs on batteries so there are some residual costs.
post #9810 of 18022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post


I'm using the Bottlehead Quickie that costs $99, and it sounds great. Only caveats are that you have to build it and solder it together yourself, and that it runs on batteries so there are some residual costs.

Very interesting, I'm learning another thing everyday. 

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/review-bottlehead-quickie-tube-preamp

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .