or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 606

post #9076 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by boypigguself View Post
 

that right,I hope that the HE-500s have better soundstage and treble than the cramped LCD-2.

hDDnd7

it does :) it gets even better too if you buy/make jerg pads and regrill them as well.

post #9077 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

it does smily_headphones1.gif it gets even better too if you buy/make jerg pads and regrill them as well.
+1 i agree completely..i did both also... Even removed the dustscreen...very extreme..but the sound!!!!! wink.gif Hope the code-x is indeed as good as they say..as a jergulor modded he500 sounds far beyond the price it sells for..pity modulor stopped making the modulor pads if i am not mistaken redface.gif
post #9078 of 18011
I'm beginning to think the Emotiva is an adapter for OTL amps to play with the HE-500. Emailed the people at Emotiva and they told me the input impedance is around 10K ohms so it works especially well with OTL. Now I get why all tube preamps are OTL. Speaker amps in general have high impedance according to Wikipedia. Currently running Crack+Emotiva and it's something else. It has the impact and warmth of a tube amp and the transparency of a SS. I think this is the best of the HE-500 I've heard.
post #9079 of 18011
 
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

I'm beginning to think the Emotiva is an adapter for OTL amps to play with the HE-500. Emailed the people at Emotiva and they told me the input impedance is around 10K ohms so it works especially well with OTL. Now I get why all tube preamps are OTL. Speaker amps in general have high impedance according to Wikipedia. Currently running Crack+Emotiva and it's something else. It has the impact and warmth of a tube amp and the transparency of a SS. I think this is the best of the HE-500 I've heard.

 

Very nice.. I'm going to hook up the Crack to the TBI Millenia (another fine speaker amp that's wonderfully transparent).. and see how the HE-500 like it.

post #9080 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

I'm beginning to think the Emotiva is an adapter for OTL amps to play with the HE-500. Emailed the people at Emotiva and they told me the input impedance is around 10K ohms so it works especially well with OTL. Now I get why all tube preamps are OTL. Speaker amps in general have high impedance according to Wikipedia. Currently running Crack+Emotiva and it's something else. It has the impact and warmth of a tube amp and the transparency of a SS. I think this is the best of the HE-500 I've heard.
Wait a sec..337 and emotiva.. Would that be the dream team? ..lolz wink.gif
post #9081 of 18011

Going to buy the Emotiva mini-x a-100 for my HE-500 :D Got quoted $275 including shipping, is it still worth it? Mind you I still have to buy speaker taps too!
Also would I need to add resistance to the speaker taps or is just fine the way it is? 

Anyone interested in buying a HiFiMan custom cable from Charleston Cable company? Currently looking to off-load it, I don't need the money haha
It's the Audiophile version worth about $300 USD. Can sell it for a lot cheaper though

post #9082 of 18011

So after this Bottlehead Crack preamp realization, I'm tempted to get the Quickie. 1) Because the Crack is part of my work setup. And 2) from Bottlehead's website:

 

"But can't I turn the Quickie into a headphone amp for less?"

Yeah, but it was really designed as a preamp. And in fact it makes a better sounding preamp than Crack, and Crack makes a better sounding headphone amp than Quickie. Of course there are folks who like to have Crack and a Quickie. Both are inexpensive and readily available.

 

And for only $99?

 

Is it time to add the Quickie to the chain for best sound for lowest price with the HE-500?


Edited by Sonido - 11/4/13 at 9:51pm
post #9083 of 18011

Finally got a chance to have an LCD-2 Revision 2 for the whole week + weekend with my own HE-500 and have been A/B'ing them for the last couple hours with a much more in depth review and comparison of the two to come sometime in the coming weeks. 

 

IMHO, they are both on the same level of sonic capability when it comes to technicality, I think they're just two different flavors. One is more chocolatey, seductive, and natural (LCD-2), and one is more analytical, more open, and more detail driven. 

 

HE-500: "Want to be impressed? Try me, I'm the wow factor of the two.

LCD-2: "I'll sedcuce you in every way possible, and everything sounds so natural, it's just right." ;) 

post #9084 of 18011

Hi everyone!

 

I’m about to purchase the HE-500 and the emotive mini-X. I have been looking for a DAC in order to build a complete set. It is quite difficult because regarding the DAC there are many different choices and I haven’t find any DAC comparable to the value obtained for the money expended as in the case of the emotiva amp.

 

Precisely my concerns are with respect to the changes in the digital formats and the questionable upgradability of some DAC.

 

Do you recommend an entrance level and a good DAC for the HE-500? I’m thinking of getting the Shiit Modi for 99, the ODAC for 150, or the HIFYMeDIY sabre 2 for 60? Should I go for another level?

 

Does these DACs represent a dramatic upgrade with respect to my computer’s DAC or my sansa clip zip?

 

Thank you!

post #9085 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Wait a sec..337 and emotiva.. Would that be the dream team? ..lolz wink.gif

 

I fell off my chair laughing when I read that.  You are something else.  :D

post #9086 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Morrow View Post
 

Finally got a chance to have an LCD-2 Revision 2 for the whole week + weekend with my own HE-500 and have been A/B'ing them for the last couple hours with a much more in depth review and comparison of the two to come sometime in the coming weeks. 

 

IMHO, they are both on the same level of sonic capability when it comes to technicality, I think they're just two different flavors. One is more chocolatey, seductive, and natural (LCD-2), and one is more analytical, more open, and more detail driven. 

 

HE-500: "Want to be impressed? Try me, I'm the wow factor of the two.

LCD-2: "I'll sedcuce you in every way possible, and everything sounds so natural, it's just right." ;) 

I couldn't have said it better. :beerchug:

post #9087 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post
 

Going to buy the Emotiva mini-x a-100 for my HE-500 :D Got quoted $275 including shipping, is it still worth it? Mind you I still have to buy speaker taps too!
Also would I need to add resistance to the speaker taps or is just fine the way it is? 

Anyone interested in buying a HiFiMan custom cable from Charleston Cable company? Currently looking to off-load it, I don't need the money haha
It's the Audiophile version worth about $300 USD. Can sell it for a lot cheaper though

 

Under $800 USD, except for hifimanrookie's 337, I will personally pick the Emotiva every time.  :p

post #9088 of 18011

I ordered the Quickie. Will arrive in a month. I guess we'll see if Quickie+Emotiva will be a winning combination for HE-500. Until then I'm listening to T90 at work unamped directly through phone cuz my Crack is staying home! :biggrin:


Edited by Sonido - 11/4/13 at 11:30pm
post #9089 of 18011
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

I couldn't have said it better. :beerchug:

+ 1

 

In one word:

 

HE-500 = Wow

LCD-2 = Natural

post #9090 of 18011
Does anyone have experience with how these headphones sound with the more speedy and heavy kind of metal? I also listen to a lot of classical and soundtrack but my main genre is def. Metal. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .