or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 61

post #901 of 18011

Do you find that the Asgard drives it to it's full potential? Also, if you've heard the Lyr, what are the differences/trade offs? I'm still debating getting the asgard, lyr, or nfb-12.

post #902 of 18011

I am the only one that find the new thicker velour pads clutter the HE-500 sound signature? The original velour pads (slimmer and less denser) sound better on all parameters - save the soundstage.

 

It is almost like the velour pads for the AKG 271mkII -> These pads congest the vocals and make the headphone sound less natural (on the T50RP that is).


Edited by Loevhagen - 1/27/12 at 7:27am
post #903 of 18011

I found exactly the same on the HE-6 - newer pads ruined them put the old ones back on ASAP

post #904 of 18011

Puh. Thanks. For a split moment there - I thought I was the outcast. My next step was to mount the subject pads on my HE-6 - you saved me from that work.

 

I'll try to get the original HE-500 pads back on. :)


Edited by Loevhagen - 1/27/12 at 9:45am
post #905 of 18011

Wow. I thought that the consensus up to this point was that the newer velour pads improved the SQ dramatically. Otherwise, wouldn't there be a lot of criticism regarding the presentation of the newer HE-500's with newer pads. Hmmm...

post #906 of 18011

Wait what? New pads "ruins" the sound of HE500?

 

I find the new velour much more comfortable (and a tad better sounding) than the pleather pads. How about the beyer pads then? Are they an alternative?

post #907 of 18011

The silver cable also ruins it for me, but that's just me liking copper :D

post #908 of 18011

Beyers Pad + copper cable = PERFECT...

post #909 of 18011

The Moon Audio Silver Dragon doesn't ruin it for me but I will add a copper cable for comparison.  Would you guys also agree that the system components may also dictate how the cable influences the sound?  For me, W4S DAC-2 + V200 + Silver cable sound very good.  The V200 has a hint of warmth to it which may help out with the qualities of silver that you guys don't like.  The W4S is not an edgy or harsh DAC.  A smooth, detailed DAC.  

 

However, I do want to get a copper cable to determine if I am missing out on anything biggrin.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

The silver cable also ruins it for me, but that's just me liking copper :D

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keph View Post

Beyers Pad + copper cable = PERFECT...



 

post #910 of 18011

I tried both a Q cable and my current Silver Dragon V3 with my HE-500. Loved the ergonomics of the Q, but the bass seemed just a bit rolled off or muted. With the HE-500 being just a touch warm, I find the Silver Dragon V3 to have very good synergy. On the other hand, I much prefer my norse cable with my HE-6. Both are sourced by Lyr+Bifrost.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

The Moon Audio Silver Dragon doesn't ruin it for me but I will add a copper cable for comparison.  Would you guys also agree that the system components may also dictate how the cable influences the sound?  For me, W4S DAC-2 + V200 + Silver cable sound very good.  The V200 has a hint of warmth to it which may help out with the qualities of silver that you guys don't like.  The W4S is not an edgy or harsh DAC.  A smooth, detailed DAC.  

 

However, I do want to get a copper cable to determine if I am missing out on anything biggrin.gif
 

 



 



 

post #911 of 18011

You may or may not have saved me $200 or so on a copper cable biggrin.gif.  I may still just order one to try it.  But, yes the V3 silver has a lot of punch to it, I'm not finding any faults, just wondering if the copper would be better for vocals.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterrogers View Post

I tried both a Q cable and my current Silver Dragon V3 with my HE-500. Loved the ergonomics of the Q, but the bass seemed just a bit rolled off or muted. With the HE-500 being just a touch warm, I find the Silver Dragon V3 to have very good synergy. On the other hand, I much prefer my norse cable with my HE-6. Both are sourced by Lyr+Bifrost.


 

post #912 of 18011

I understand the need to hear for myself - I have the same affliction wink_face.gif. Overall, the Q/litz had a nice, smooth presentation. Vocals sounded very good, though to me, not necessarily better than the Silver Dragon V3 (IMO). Look forward to your impressions!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

You may or may not have saved me $200 or so on a copper cable biggrin.gif.  I may still just order one to try it.  But, yes the V3 silver has a lot of punch to it, I'm not finding any faults, just wondering if the copper would be better for vocals.  

 


 



 

post #913 of 18011

Thank you for the insight, I may end up saving myself some money.  I'm sending my silver dragon back to Drew at Moon for some repairs, the cable-connector interface is loose and cuts out in one channel so I'm just using the stock cable right now.  That's probably why I'm interested in another cable while I wait for the return of the V3.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterrogers View Post

I understand the need to hear for myself - I have the same affliction wink_face.gif. Overall, the Q/litz had a nice, smooth presentation. Vocals sounded very good, though to me, not necessarily better than the Silver Dragon V3 (IMO). Look forward to your impressions!


 

post #914 of 18011

There is a lot of nonsense in this thread: "Wait what? New pads "ruins" the sound of HE500?" All that is new isn't always better...

 

The new new velour pads are de facto cluttering the vocals. Some might like it, though. All respect to them. But, the new velour pads is a degradation to the initial / original velour pads for the HE-500. IM(H)O.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson_smith View Post

Wow. I thought that the consensus up to this point was that the newer velour pads improved the SQ dramatically. Otherwise, wouldn't there be a lot of criticism regarding the presentation of the newer HE-500's with newer pads. Hmmm...



 


Edited by Loevhagen - 1/27/12 at 1:28pm
post #915 of 18011

Update: Removed the "new and improved velour pads". Wow. The HE-500 sound is back. Thanks. :) New isn't always better. QED.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .