The new little Schiits seem to be getting a good rap.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste Last post on 4/16/13 at 2:58pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's? Last post on 10/20/13 at 6:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for replacing Beyer T1 Last post on 9/19/13 at 1:02am in High-end Audio Forum
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I recently got the AK 100 II after dabbling with a phone based stack. Alternate setup: Samsung Galaxy S5 FIIO E18 + PowerAmp Pro (Cost: 2.99€) + iSyncr (Cost: 3.99€) + Stream to...
After an extensive search online for a replacement for my very good Schiit Bifrost, I settled on the Dacmini, in part from comments here on Head-Fi, and the fact that Stereophile has had it as a...
DUNU DN-2000 Quick Review Full Review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/728105/dunu-dn-2000-review Thanks to DUNU for the sample. Brief: DUNU take’s it to the top. Price: US$316 or £186...
Ok first I need to say that I'm not an audiophile, and I use this site mostly for help than giving advise whit that told I will continue I've owned this headset for more than a year and they...
I brought these on sale at Best Buy for $44, the price they are at right now are a absolute rip off. ($110) Logitech have discontinued these, I will take a guess in my review why that...
HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 597post #8941 of 1419010/30/13 at 12:45am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #8942 of 1419010/30/13 at 5:40ampost #8943 of 1419010/30/13 at 5:53amQuote:YesOriginally Posted by koiloco
Wow, i just read Tyll's Comparing World-Class Headphones for the first time. Interesting to find out the HE500 received very good evaluation.
I guess I did make a good choice.
But it should be up on his wall of famepost #8944 of 1419010/30/13 at 7:39amJust got my HE-500 and I couldn't be happier. I was afriad of the weight but I really don't find them to be uncomfortable after long sessions. I might put Alpha Pads from my Mad Dog on these and see how comfy it is.post #8945 of 1419010/30/13 at 7:52ampost #8946 of 1419010/30/13 at 7:56am
That it should...I've actually seen a few instances in flagship review/comparison articles or threads that include the HE-500 because it fares so well against the upper tier competition. Another good example is in David Mahler's 'Battle of the Flagships' review thread:post #8947 of 1419010/30/13 at 8:07amQuote:
Alpha Pads are super comfy, no doubt...but I can't say they pair best with the HE-500 for my personal tastes. If you have them already, definitely give it a try...no harm there I've read before they pair best with the HE-4, but they were not too bad when I tried them on my former HE-400.post #8948 of 1419010/30/13 at 8:12amQuote:Originally Posted by modulor
Alpha Pads are super comfy, no doubt...but I can't say they pair best with the HE-500 for my personal tastes. If you have them already, definitely give it a try...no harm there I've read before they pair best with the HE-4, but they were not too bad when I tried them on my former HE-400.
Yeah from what I've read the Jergpads (specifically, the ones made by you) are the best. I subscribed to that thread. Since I missed the group buy, I'll definitely give it a go in a few weeks. But I saw pictures of your build and I doubt I can match your craftsmanship, so I'll probably still order if you do another group buy.post #8949 of 1419010/30/13 at 1:24pm
I did buy a pair of Alpha Pads for my HE-500 and it's a very nice improvement over the stock pleather and velour. Much more comfortable and a more natural soundstage. It's like having the bass impact from the pleathers but the soundstage of the velours.
Installation was a bit of a pain but possible.
I heard the Jerg pads are a better match for the HE-500 and I might try to do it one day but I think I will stay with the Alpha Pads. They're just amazingly comfortable and it also matches with the leather headband.post #8950 of 1419010/30/13 at 1:39pmpost #8951 of 1419010/30/13 at 2:42pm
It's actually pretty easy. The mounting ring fits inside the Alpha Pads fine, it's just a tad bit loose and the vinyl covers the mounting clips a bit. But it's still pretty easy to get all four mounting clips in place.post #8952 of 1419010/30/13 at 2:58pm
I just got my HE-500, I simply amazed. I plugged it into "Laptop >> Fiio D07 >> Schiit Asgard 2".
For now, I am satisfied with the D07/Asgard-2 combo and enjoying my HE-500. I am a part of "TEAM HE-500" now!post #8953 of 1419010/30/13 at 3:01pmQuote:
Grats and welcome! What took you so long??? didn't believe us, crazy owners?post #8954 of 1419010/30/13 at 3:05pmpost #8955 of 1419010/30/13 at 7:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by fluidz
I've a question for those who know a thing or two about amps available to purchase in the Uk/EU
Other than the Emotiva Mini X which I have owned but wasn't too keen on the noise floor/hiss, but loved the warmth, If you were given £300 to play with - what alternative amp would you choose to pair with the He-500 headphones? I'm looking for a very neutral Amp. This could be from Ebay Uk, Head-fi or anywhere really, as long as I can get to play with it within the next week. I can't find any good deals on the Lyr over here, still £450 rrp, and besides at that price, what's turning me off is the many claims of tubes making the sound much better (which makes me think it must be dull in the first place).
Ideally, a stereo amp would be great, with a similar sound signature to the Emotiva Mini X (warm, full sounding, but not as to take away detail).
Any ideas, exact models, links?
Thanks a bunch
I have a Lake People g109 and I'm very happy with how my HE-500s sound from it. I haven't tried speaker taps yet but I'm going to attempt a DIY cable and plug then into the back of my Linn Majik I. I'll post a comparison when I do.
On the subject of the Linn Majik I, it's a 40W integrated amp that can be picked up for around £200 second hand in the UK. Linn have a superb reputation and my speakers sound great out of the Majik so I'm hopeful my headphones do too. Actually they sound magic just straight from the headphone socket
- HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 15 seconds ago
- › Fiio L9 vs. ALO The Green Line 21 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 21 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 22 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 55 seconds ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & comparisons (Added K3003, XBA-H3, S-EM6) 1 minute ago
- › FS : Plantronics BackBeat Go 2 - Bose AE2 - Sennheiser PXC-250 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › CEntrance DACmini CX by joespride
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by mark2410
- › Astro A40 Audio System - White by MaxiMarciano
- › Logitech Z553 2.1 Speakers by Nada190
- › Future Sonics mg5pro 10mm Ear Monitors by Kunlun
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)