or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 60

post #886 of 18028

EF5 did make it warmer and thicker sounding. If you want something faster and brighter grab the Nuforce HDP.

post #887 of 18028

Thank you, will be ordering them with the EF-5, Audioengine D1, and 1.5' DiMarzio RCA Interconnects in a day or two, once I've decided on the correct approach to telling my wife I am buying new headphones.  She's the type that doesn't understand why anyone would pay more than $20.

post #888 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstjean View Post

Thank you, will be ordering them with the EF-5, Audioengine D1, and 1.5' DiMarzio RCA Interconnects in a day or two, once I've decided on the correct approach to telling my wife I am buying new headphones.  She's the type that doesn't understand why anyone would pay more than $20.



That's the standard wife type. biggrin.gif

post #889 of 18028

The master of CSD plots, purrin himself, has posted the CSD plot of a HE-500, and it is very good actually. It is reassuring to confirm good hearing impressions with excellent measurements.  gs1000.gif


Edited by plin - 1/24/12 at 2:42pm
post #890 of 18028


Bad link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plin View Post

The master of CSD plots, purrin himself, has posted the CSD plot of a HE-500, and it is very good actually. It is reassuring to confirm good hearing impressions with excellent measurements.  gs1000.gif



 

post #891 of 18028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post


Bad link?



 



Yep, I corrected it using the one you provided to the other HE-500 forum. Thank you.

post #892 of 18028

Just missing the colon after the http - here is the link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/566929/headphone-csd-waterfall-plots/555#post_8085827

post #893 of 18028

Just picked up the HE-500 from the forums here. I've taken a little break from the hobby and this looked like the best headphone for my buck. Very excited to try it out. Do we have any sort of consensus for sub $500 amp? I've heard a lot about the Lyr, but some say it might be a bit more than this headphone needs. Any suggestions?

post #894 of 18028

I like my asgard.  I haven't heard the he-500 through a wide variety of amps but I am content with the asgard until I upgrade to something  probably much higher than $500.  The asgard supposedly has better staging qualities compared to the Lyr, and I did read a review on some audio site saying he preferred the asgard to the lyr when it comes to the he-500.  That said, for $250, it does some pretty nice things.  I'll probably be getting a chance to try the lyr at an upcoming meet though, so I'll be better informed then.

post #895 of 18028

Just got my HE500, first impression is... wow, just wow... Playing out of my speaker amplifier (hp out) but still these sound just marvelous!

post #896 of 18028

I also am curious to find a good amp/dac match to the he-500s. I've been told that these are power hungry. Anyone have any suggestions of amp/dacs that can supply this with sufficient power (1 watt at 38 ohms) while still having a good level of detail and soundstage?

post #897 of 18028

 

I think you shouldn't be too strict with the 1 W rating. Measured continous load wattage just give an indicator. 

 

Ref http://www.head-fi.org/t/555749/sibling-rivalry-the-woo-wa2-vs-the-woo-wa6se-review-posted-update-6-3-2011  

 

- Where the poster prefers the ~350mW WA2 over the 2000mW WA6SE with the HE-500. I have the WA2 myself. 


Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDreadLocks View Post

I also am curious to find a good amp/dac match to the he-500s. I've been told that these are power hungry. Anyone have any suggestions of amp/dacs that can supply this with sufficient power (1 watt at 38 ohms) while still having a good level of detail and soundstage?



 

post #898 of 18028

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Lyr for the HE-500's. It is an incredible amp for the price and pairs equally-well with the slightly more-efficient LCD-2's, imho. Throw a Schiit Bifrost into the mix and you should be rather satisfied with this most-affordable of mid-to-high-end rigs.


Edited by sampson_smith - 1/26/12 at 11:34am
post #899 of 18028

I know this is the high end forum, but how about the Asgard?

post #900 of 18028

I have the asgard -> he500 and it sounds great for the money.  People have said that it has better staging qualities than the Lyr as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .