or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 586

post #8776 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTV View Post
 

 

Not to add to the noise, but above comment can be misinterpreted and that may not have been the intention.

 

O2 or any amp for that matter need not deliver clean 1 watt power at whatever resistance they may be asked to. They need to be clean at their stated specs. Before the orthos became mainstream 1W may have been considered more than plenty. Orthos do not yet rule the planet :)

Agreed. 1W @ 16-32ohm is already way too much for most of my low impedance headphones. It's these pesky Orthos keeping me from just using one amp for all.

post #8777 of 18018

Just hooked up my Kenwood KR-7400 and these headphones are AMAZING on it! the sound stage is just incredible. The best of all my amps with the HE-500 are this KR-7400 and my KA-7100. 

 

post #8778 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post
 

Just hooked up my Kenwood KR-7400 and these headphones are AMAZING on it! the sound stage is just incredible. The best of all my amps with the HE-500 are this KR-7400 and my KA-7100. 

 

 

Looks like the way to go for the best value high end sound quality.....

 

HE500 + D.I.Y / Custom Cable + Emotiva / Speaker amp

 

I think this will be my next step up the ladder when I have some more cash, Should be able to get the whole lot for under £800. For now I am happy with my modded HE400 + Xonar STX which cost me £300 total so I am very pleased with this setup for the money at the moment. Damn I wish I was one of these people on the forums that can afford to buy flagship headphones and try out different amps!


Edited by nicholars - 10/21/13 at 11:22am
post #8779 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post
 

Just hooked up my Kenwood KR-7400 and these headphones are AMAZING on it! the sound stage is just incredible. The best of all my amps with the HE-500 are this KR-7400 and my KA-7100. 

 

They do sound great out of vintage receivers in general :D KA-7100 looks really nice...I've not heard a vintage Kenwood myself though.

post #8780 of 18018
^Finally figured the inevitable? ;-)
post #8781 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post
 

They do sound great out of vintage receivers in general :D KA-7100 looks really nice...I've not heard a vintage Kenwood myself though.

Someday, when the timing is right, I am going to build 300b tube monoblocks and try the HE-6 on them :)

post #8782 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Someday, when the timing is right, I am going to build 300b tube monoblocks and try the HE-6 on them :)

There is just no end to this hobby :D

post #8783 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Someday, when the timing is right, I am going to build 300b tube monoblocks and try the HE-6 on them :)

 

Nah you want some of these :veryevil:

 

+CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100= :basshead:


Edited by nicholars - 10/21/13 at 11:34am
post #8784 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post
 

There is just no end to this hobby :D

There sure isn't! I remember telling someone a short story of a typical budding head-fi'er. It kinda goes like this. Many don't go past past #6, less past #10, and even less to #14.

 

1) In search of something besides Beats and Skullcandys, dude stumbles upon Head-Fi. Mind is blown.

2) Dude lurks for a while and balks at obscene prices of gear.

3) Dude finally joins Head-Fi and ask for advice to get something decent under $300.

4) Mind is blown.

5) Dude buys something like Fiio/O2/STX/Magni

6) Mind is blown. Since this is the best dude has heard, declares himself expert and defends wallet against bigger purchases.

7) Plan fails, dude scours Amazon thanks to upgraditis.

8) Dude either gets banned from Amazon for abusing return policy, or takes first major step into the world of "audiophilia" and graduates from Amazon, never to return there for gear.

9) Mind is blown from upgrade, now this is the best he's heard. Everything else is inferior.

10) Dude repeats 6 & 7 and 9 for a while.

11) Finally after spending much $$$ and effort in finding "The One to Rule Them All" has epiphany there is no such thing, and realizes he has more questions than answers now.

12) Dude realizes naivette and futility from steps 1-10 and goes off the deep end searching for his favorite flagship products.

13) Finally tired of all the $$$ he spent on finished products that cost no more than a pair of Skullcandys, dude has epiphany of going "DIY" and gawks at awesome gear.

14) Dude goes DIY and enjoys the "journey" of Head-Fi, realizing there is no end game, but it sure is fun to create gear that is specialized to his purposes.

15) The End?


Edited by brunk - 10/21/13 at 11:56am
post #8785 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Someday, when the timing is right, I am going to build 300b tube monoblocks and try the HE-6 on them :)

The "God" tube :p 300B push-pull monoblocks...do it!!

post #8786 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

 

Nah you want some of these :veryevil:

 

+CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100= :basshead:

Hehe, I heard this baby a couple weeks ago with my HE-6 and it was pretty special. I was peaking just under 10 watts! McIntosh MC-302, retails for around $7k i think

 

700

post #8787 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post
 

The "God" tube :p 300B push-pull monoblocks...do it!!

Yeah baby! :beerchug:  My full range horns make it a perfect excuse to do so :evil:

post #8788 of 18018

^Woah peaks at 10W!! Isn't that kinda loud, lol?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 
 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post
 

There is just no end to this hobby :D

There sure isn't! I remember telling someone a short story of a typical budding head-fi'er. It kinda goes like this. Many don't go past past #6, less past #10, and even less to #14.

 

1) In search of something besides Beats and Skullcandys, dude stumbles upon Head-Fi. Mind is blown.

2) Dude lurks for a while and balks at obscene prices of gear.

3) Dude finally joins Head-Fi and ask for advice to get something decent under $300.

4) Mind is blown.

5) Dude buys something like Fiio/O2/STX/Magni

6) Mind is blown. Since this is the best dude has heard, declares himself expert and defends wallet against bigger purchases.

7) Plan fails, dude scours Amazon thanks to upgraditis.

8) Dude either gets banned from Amazon for abusing return policy, or takes first major step into the world of "audiophilia" and graduates from Amazon, never to return there for gear.

9) Mind is blown from upgrade, now this is the best he's heard. Everything else is inferior.

10) Dude repeats 6 & 7 for a while.

11) Finally after spending much $$$ and effort in finding "The One to Rule Them All" has epiphany there is no such thing, and realizes he has more questions than answers now.

12) Dude realizes naivette and futility from steps 1-10 and goes off the deep end searching for his favorite flagship products.

13) Finally tired of all the $$$ he spent on finished products that cost no more than a pair of Skullcandys, dude has epiphany of going "DIY" and gawks at awesome gear.

14) Dude goes DIY and enjoys the "journey" of Head-Fi, realizing there is no end game, but it sure is fun to create gear that is specialized to his purposes.

15) The End?

 

I'd call that a guide to end up like guys like spitzer


Edited by davidsh - 10/21/13 at 11:56am
post #8789 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

There sure isn't! I remember telling someone a short story of a typical budding head-fi'er. It kinda goes like this. Many don't go past past #6, less past #10, and even less to #14.

 

1) In search of something besides Beats and Skullcandys, dude stumbles upon Head-Fi. Mind is blown.

2) Dude lurks for a while and balks at obscene prices of gear.

3) Dude finally joins Head-Fi and ask for advice to get something decent under $300.

4) Mind is blown.

5) Dude buys something like Fiio/O2/STX/Magni

6) Mind is blown. Since this is the best dude has heard, declares himself expert and defends wallet against bigger purchases.

7) Plan fails, dude scours Amazon thanks to upgraditis.

8) Dude either gets banned from Amazon for abusing return policy, or takes first major step into the world of "audiophilia" and graduates from Amazon, never to return there for gear.

9) Mind is blown from upgrade, now this is the best he's heard. Everything else is inferior.

10) Dude repeats 6 & 7 for a while.

11) Finally after spending much $$$ and effort in finding "The One to Rule Them All" has epiphany there is no such thing, and realizes he has more questions than answers now.

12) Dude realizes naivette and futility from steps 1-10 and goes off the deep end searching for his favorite flagship products.

13) Finally tired of all the $$$ he spent on finished products that cost no more than a pair of Skullcandys, dude has epiphany of going "DIY" and gawks at awesome gear.

14) Dude goes DIY and enjoys the "journey" of Head-Fi, realizing there is no end game, but it sure is fun to create gear that is specialized to his purposes.

15) The End?

LOL well said! hahahahahahaha had a good laugh reading this.

post #8790 of 18018
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post
 

They do sound great out of vintage receivers in general :D KA-7100 looks really nice...I've not heard a vintage Kenwood myself though.

yes the KA-7100 is a wonderful amp and is great with the HE-500, it's also got a fantastic phono section. I'm hoping to get a Kenwood KR-9600 That's a higher end model than my KR-7400 receiver so it might be even better :) 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .