Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 570

post #8536 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPluck View Post
 


Cut the TRS connector off the stock cable and continunity test the strands/plugs to establish what is left/right/ground/live.

 

left/right/ground/ground =P but that is the cheapest way to hook up to speaker taps =P

post #8537 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post

What is the cheapest method of getting a cable to hook the HE500 to speaker amp such as the Emotiva miniX? What I have read so far is a cable costs around £100? This sort of messes up the value of the Emotiva... Is it possible to get something cheaper?
I thought you could just use this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010CEIH8
post #8538 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post


I thought you could just use this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010CEIH8

 

Interesting... Does that work then?

 

Why are people buying £100 cables if you can use that?

 

Because the Emotiva looks like a great option.... But the cables I have seen almost double the price... If you can get a cable for about £20 on top of the emotiva minix then that has to be the best headphone amp available for the money..... But if you are spending £100 on a cable for it then I you may as well get a Schiit or Yulong or similar.


Edited by nicholars - 10/17/13 at 6:47am
post #8539 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

 

Interesting... Does that work then?

 

Why are people buying £100 cables if you can use that?

 

Because the Emotiva looks like a great option.... But the cables I have seen almost double the price... If you can get a cable for about £20 on top of the emotiva minix then that has to be the best headphone amp available for the money..... But if you are spending £100 on a cable for it then I you may as well get a Schiit or Yulong or similar.

 

I personally bought the custom cables for HE-500 because the stock ones were complete garbage in terms of durability. My intention with them was to get something lighter and yet stronger. Also, they claimed to make a difference in sound. With Emotiva and HE-500/LCD-2, I was never fully sure of any sound benefits as it was too close to call it for me. Although with the LCD-3, I can definitely tell. Same silver material used on all three headphones from Headphone Lounge. Just my experience.

 

If you can make decent cables yourself, then that's the way to go for sure.

post #8540 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom25 View Post
 

 

I personally bought the custom cables for HE-500 because the stock ones were complete garbage in terms of durability. My intention with them was to get something lighter and yet stronger. Also, they claimed to make a difference in sound. With Emotiva and HE-500/LCD-2, I was never fully sure of any sound benefits as it was too close to call it for me. Although with the LCD-3, I can definitely tell. Same silver material used on all three headphones from Headphone Lounge. Just my experience.

 

If you can make decent cables yourself, then that's the way to go for sure.

I agree. I don't care for the stalk cables of the HE-500 either. they are also noisy and crease easily. 

post #8541 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

I thought you could just use this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010CEIH8
So, can I use this cable to connect it to the Lepai 2020a+ speaker amp?
post #8542 of 16151

Have you tried it and confirmed it to work? I don't see how it would work because the HE500 cable terminates with a single jack and that adapter only goes to 2 of the speaker posts.... there is a + and - for each speaker so it would need to have 4 connections not 2?

 

HE500 + Emotiva + £20 adapter would be OK but HE500 + Emotiva + £100 for a cable is no good because out of principle I refuse to pay £100 for a cable.... Also for that £100 may as well just buy a more expensive headphone amp with a standard headphone jack such as Yulong, Schiit, AudioGD etc....

 

Also if you DIY separated the stock cable to connect to Emotiva speaker jacks, how do you tell which wire is which? Is it difficult?


Edited by nicholars - 10/17/13 at 8:39am
post #8543 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholars View Post
 

 

Interesting... Does that work then?

 

Why are people buying £100 cables if you can use that?

 

Because the Emotiva looks like a great option.... But the cables I have seen almost double the price... If you can get a cable for about £20 on top of the emotiva minix then that has to be the best headphone amp available for the money..... But if you are spending £100 on a cable for it then I you may as well get a Schiit or Yulong or similar.

Don't know if it works for sure, I'm just going by Sonido's comment:

 

"you might as well get the Emotiva ($169 right now) and spend another $10-20 for conversion cables from TRS-female to banana plugs."

post #8544 of 16151

I'm considering getting the HE-500 as my endgame headphone. I understand that Lyr+Bifrost are an excellent combo for these cans, but since I move continents very often I would need something much smaller to move around.

 

Right now, my plan is to get Modi+Magni/Vali, but I just wanted to check in and see if anyone thinks there's a better option out there, with similar dimensions.

post #8545 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post


So, can I use this cable to connect it to the Lepai 2020a+ speaker amp?

I don't see how this could work as it only connects to one channel (mono). it would need 2 sets of banana plugs to be connected to a stereo amp.

post #8546 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidiano View Post
 

I'm considering getting the HE-500 as my endgame headphone. I understand that Lyr+Bifrost are an excellent combo for these cans, but since I move continents very often I would need something much smaller to move around.

 

Right now, my plan is to get Modi+Magni/Vali, but I just wanted to check in and see if anyone thinks there's a better option out there, with similar dimensions.

CEntrace HiFi-M8?  It's cheaper than the Lyr+Bifrost combo and portable.

post #8547 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven View Post
 

I don't see how this could work as it only connects to one channel (mono). it would need 2 sets of banana plugs to be connected to a stereo amp.


You would need a TRS to dual TS splitter as well, going to two of those TS to banana connectors. I asked this question earlier, and it seems like this might not be suited to the Lepai due to grounding issues. I say might because I'm not really sure how the ground works in the Lepai. But people use this type of connector for the Emotiva. Not to mention that the Lepai doesn't take banana plugs. 

post #8548 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-Stereo-4-Inch-Phone-Female/dp/B000068O5D

+

2 x http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PCBL34-Gauge-Female-Banana/dp/B004HJ5JPQ

=

MATHEMATICAL! (~$20)

(Careful with shared ground/resistance matching.)
post #8549 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidiano View Post
 

I'm considering getting the HE-500 as my endgame headphone. I understand that Lyr+Bifrost are an excellent combo for these cans, but since I move continents very often I would need something much smaller to move around.

 

Right now, my plan is to get Modi+Magni/Vali, but I just wanted to check in and see if anyone thinks there's a better option out there, with similar dimensions.

 

with respect to physical sizing, I think many would consider:

 modi + magni = a good set up

 concero + Vali = a better set up, except maybe Vali can't perfect the HE-500 bass

and maybe ultra portable
 HiFi M8 from Centrance  the most powerful + truly portable set up?  not quite the 1W for the HE-500?

 

do have BiFrost Uber + Lyr + HE-500 and love it.

I haven't heard modi/magni.

hopefully one day can try concero + vali by end of 2013

M8 I am putting through it's paces now with HE-500 and so far, so great!  (albeit- not BiF/Lyr quality)

post #8550 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidiano View Post

I'm considering getting the HE-500 as my endgame headphone. I understand that Lyr+Bifrost are an excellent combo for these cans, but since I move continents very often I would need something much smaller to move around.

Right now, my plan is to get Modi+Magni/Vali, but I just wanted to check in and see if anyone thinks there's a better option out there, with similar dimensions.

And I thought someone who took the HE-500 across the continents would not be stopped by the bulk of the amp wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .