Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 557

post #8341 of 14092

Why has no one tried this yet? $20. The cable from BTG would cost more...

 

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI

 

It works. Plenty of power for the HE-500 + Bass/Treble control. Adds plenty of extra bass to match what an Audeze would do. Can't beat it. I'm listening on mine right now.

post #8342 of 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Why has no one tried this yet? $20. The cable from BTG would cost more...

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI

It works. Plenty of power for the HE-500 + Bass/Treble control. Adds plenty of extra bass to match what an Audeze would do. Can't beat it. I'm listening on mine right now.
I use the TP60 which is also a tripath. Sounds awesome.
post #8343 of 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjapirate9901 View Post
 

 

Pretty nice, a bit brighter than what I'm used to. Bit more energy in the upper ranges compared to the HA-160 and Mini-X. Punchy and tight bass, mids are pretty neutral (especially when compared to the Ember). Seems to have more than enough power to go well with anything I have (still haven't tried any IEM's with it).

 

HE-500 pairs up with it fairly well (really tightens the bass up) but I do prefer the LCD-2 with this amp.

 

Hmmmm really? I keep hearing that the soloist is on the dark side and a bit slower. Got to try it out for myself with LSD-3 :)

 

How's the bass compared to the Emotiva w/LCD-2?

post #8344 of 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Why has no one tried this yet? $20. The cable from BTG would cost more...

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI

It works. Plenty of power for the HE-500 + Bass/Treble control. Adds plenty of extra bass to match what an Audeze would do. Can't beat it. I'm listening on mine right now.
I think the neutrality, dryness, coldness of the tripath amps really help to balance out the darkness of the HE500s
post #8345 of 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post


I think the neutrality, dryness, coldness of the tripath amps really help to balance out the darkness of the HE500s

 

It does. For the price its worth the try.

 

One of the main knocks against the HE-500 is the lack of bass extension compared to the LCD-2. This helps negate that by quite a bit. With my bass knob at 3 o'clock, I get excellent, powerful, punchy sub bass out of them.

post #8346 of 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

It does. For the price its worth the try.

One of the main knocks against the HE-500 is the lack of bass extension compared to the LCD-2. This helps negate that by quite a bit. With my bass knob at 3 o'clock, I get excellent, powerful, punchy sub bass out of them.
I don't think the HE500s lack bass but the Lepai is cheap enough to give it a try also. Thanks mate
post #8347 of 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
 

 

It does. For the price its worth the try.

 

One of the main knocks against the HE-500 is the lack of bass extension compared to the LCD-2. This helps negate that by quite a bit. With my bass knob at 3 o'clock, I get excellent, powerful, punchy sub bass out of them.

 

Again, you are believing what people are saying about this?  at the recent CA meet, a sub bass comparison was done with some bass heavy tracks (30hz and under) and quite a few people found the HE500 to perform audibly better.  The HE500 reach just as deep and you can hear the bass even clearer.  I hope this is what you and people mean by "bass extension".  Maybe, the LCD2 and LCD3 that were there were bad pairs?  I really don't think so.

I was surprised too because this was on my list to verify.

post #8348 of 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

Again, you are believing what people are saying about this?  at the recent CA meet, a sub bass comparison was done with some bass heavy tracks (30hz and under) and quite a few people found the HE500 to perform audibly better.  The HE500 reach just as deep and you can hear the bass even clearer.  I hope this is what you and people mean by "bass extension".  Maybe, the LCD2 and LCD3 that were there were bad pairs?  I really don't think so.
I was surprised too because this was on my list to verify.

I was just saying, if you felt you needed a bit more bass, the tone control on the cheap amp will satisfy you. Not too many pricier amps even have the option.
post #8349 of 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post


I was just saying, if you felt you needed a bit more bass, the tone control on the cheap amp will satisfy you. Not too many pricier amps even have the option.

 

Ah, got you now.  Thx for clearing it up.  I am still hunting for a vintage amp with bass/mid/treble knobs.  I am narrowing down to a few choices but picky about condition to avoid future problems so it's taking a while.  :)


Edited by koiloco - 10/3/13 at 8:39pm
post #8350 of 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
 

 

It does. For the price its worth the try.

 

One of the main knocks against the HE-500 is the lack of bass extension compared to the LCD-2. This helps negate that by quite a bit. With my bass knob at 3 o'clock, I get excellent, powerful, punchy sub bass out of them.

Does the 500 bass not extend much more on speaker taps ? I mean 500 on taps vs LCD-2 on some decent HP amp ?

I'm looking at 500/LCD-2s for the future for EDM only.


Edited by Lohb - 10/4/13 at 12:41am
post #8351 of 14092

The HE-500 sub-bass might sound more present because of higher distortion levels.

post #8352 of 14092
LI don't think the bass extend further, it sounds more controlled
post #8353 of 14092

Well, after the added delay in shipping due to "train derailment", I got my HE-500 a few days ago and have been breaking them in and doing some listening.  It's funny... I think these are what I was hoping the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600 Ohm were going to be (which I'm going to put up for sale soon).  I found the DT880 to be too bright in the mids and pretty sibilant, though with good detail, energy and a mostly balanced sound.  The HE-500 I find to roll off in the highs a pinch (like I like 'em) and the mids slightly warm (like I like 'em), but also very balanced and detailed... a sound signature that isn't too fatiguing to me.  It seems to be pretty happy with my Burson Soloist and HRT Musicstreamer II+.  I simultaneously like and don't like the cable that came with it.. it's a bit too rigid and long, but alright otherwise.  There's also something about these that remind me a little of Grados... maybe it's how cupping my hands around 'em while listening to music alters the sound (which doesn't really happen with my HD650s).  These HE-500 have a very open sound.

 

It's kinda nice having the HD650 with a Bottlehead Crack+Speedball for one flavor, and the HE-500 with the Burson Soloist for another.  It's two very different setups, both of which have plenty to love.  I think in many cases, I prefer the HE-500+Soloist combo, but there are certain cases where the HD650+Crack wins to my ears... especially mid-heavy acoustic material (like Crosby, Stills and Nash).

 

Comfort is very important to me, and while I find the HE-500's heft to make its presence known, I find that it rests pretty nicely on my head.  I'm able to wear it (with the velour cups) for hours on end with no problem.

 

Yeah, for these are a definite winner for the $550 I spent.  I'm a fan.

post #8354 of 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

Tbh, you should have enough knowledge of speaker amplifiers, to the point of understanding if yours has a shared ground, before attaching headphones to them.

 

 

I checked with Emotiva on this before I connected them, but then I decided to cut off the TRS plug and attached banana plugs straight to the wire, so essentially the way I've got them set up is for balanced operation and won't cause problems either way.

 

Just wanted to make sure folks know what they are getting themselves into if they want to purchase a specific adapter like that. If I used that adapter on my power amplifier it would cause a dead short and it won't be pretty.

post #8355 of 14092
How does the lyr compare to the emotive
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .